I am going on a walking holiday and need advise on how to lo

Options
Hello,

I am going to the Peak District on a walking holiday and need advise on how to log the exercise, as I am worried I will/can con myself into over-eating.

For example recently I completed a 4hr walk at a slow pace (2mph) when I inputted the information into MFP it stated that I had used 938 calories...can this really be true??

I have already worked out the speed is accurate cos I tracked the miles on an Ordanance Survey Map, however I am reluctant to include the gradient of the walk as this will mean I have used even more calories!!!

Please can anyone out there give me some advise??

I know I will need to consume more calories to have enough energy to meet the demand s of the hills..but don't want to ruin my progress.

Thanks in advance

Joanna

Replies

• yvfitness1
    yvfitness1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have no idea about whether the 4 hour walking thing is accurate, but perhaps you could try to eat only half of your excercise calories? Thats what I always do for 2 reasons:
    1. You're always on the safe side
    2. You eat more than on regular days but still lose more weight :D
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    2mph .. 4 hours .. 8 miles ... yeah that doesn`t sound that far off - if you weight about 150 lbs and run a mile it`s about 100 cals per mile - walking burns less per mile - but you burn more if you weight more

The kicker with exercise for that length of time is that is 4 hours with of base burn that you can`t really count - when you work out for an hour it`s not a big a deal - but 4 hours becomes more significant - if your base is 1200 per day ( 24 hours ) - for 1 hours - it`s 50 cals you have to give back - no biggie - for 4 hours - that 200 cals you have to give back
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I would go with the calculations you have prepared and not worry about the grade. it will definately add to your calorie burn, but I always feel it is better to be a bit shy than to assume you have WAY more calories to tempt you that day.
    Good luck!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to get yourself a HRM.. you can buy a nice one from Target, mine was $70. Also make sure you deduct your calories for doing nothing from your BMR... most people don't, but that could cause overeating.

I learned on Saturday I walked 5.5 hours around the city I burned 2800 calories, since my BMR is about 2400 calories that would mean I burn 100 calories an hour just sitting here, so I logged 2300 calories that would go toward exercise.
  • Shaniac
    Shaniac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The exercise assessment in terms of calories burned is likely accurate. For contrast, I do 30 min/day on the elliptical at about 6 mph and burn 350-400 calories in that time. you are exercising at about 1/3 the rate for 8 x as long, so that seems fair.

Do you have a mobile phone? The mobile apps for iphone and android are outstanding. I usually do most of my tracking that way, much more convenient to input your food and exercise on the fly than to try to log it and remember later.

Maybe printing a sheet with some different levels of exercise and times would help to calculate on the fly when away from the computer or phone. At worst, you can write everything down on a notepad and input it when you get home.

Have fun!
  • pvallack
    pvallack Posts: 1
    Options
    You need to look at Naismith's Rule!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith's_Rule

A rough guide is that every 1000ft if ascent adds 1.5 - 2 miles to the effective distance.

Example Fairfield horseshoe (Lakes) distance 10.5 miles. 3500 ft of ascent (give or take) effective distance 17.5

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/fairho.html

Does this help?
  • jobo_123
    jobo_123 Posts: 7
    Options

I have no idea about whether the 4 hour walking thing is accurate, but perhaps you could try to eat only half of your excercise calories? Thats what I always do for 2 reasons:
    1. You're always on the safe side
    2. You eat more than on regular days but still lose more weight :D

I think you are right and I always try to stay under the calorie guide, but I find it really difficult when I am stuggling up a hill and need a boost, I always reach for the flapjack, nuts or a chewy bar!!
  • jobo_123
    jobo_123 Posts: 7
    Options
    I would go with the calculations you have prepared and not worry about the grade. it will definately add to your calorie burn, but I always feel it is better to be a bit shy than to assume you have WAY more calories to tempt you that day.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the advise, I too think ignoring the Grade is the way forward but I was worried I was depriving my body of the caloried I would NEED!!