The Paleo Diet

Options
Have any of you heard of this: http://thepaleodiet.com/

I read an article in First For Women magazine and was interested. I am not a fan of Atkin's (and the like) because I think our bodies need carbs to regulate our blood sugar (yeah, I know that is a topic of dispute among many). However, this one does not eliminate carbs, which I like.

What do you all think??

Replies

• writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I have loosely followed Paleo for a while. Pretty much it's eating like, and I quote the book I followed, "cavemen and gatherers".

No processed foods, whole foods, little to no dairy... It focuses on the good carbs, and avoiding the bad ones.

It's worth a try. :)
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I should have read the info on the website I posted. That one says to eat as much fat as possible!! The article I read talked about all LEAN meats! I must change that.

I am not a big milk person necessarily, but I do eat yogurt. I think it is something I could eliminate. How did you do on it??
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I too loosely follow it ;) Love it. kind of a mix between primal/paleo really. you really can't go wrong with any diet that focuses on whole natural foods with no processing!
  • MissKim
    Options
    good fat=good bad fat=bad
  • xtina11179
    Options
    The link I posted at first was talking about animal fat. That grosses me out. :sick:

I don't mind the fat in nuts and fish, but animal fat is yucky!! :tongue:
    good fat=good bad fat=bad
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and research it, there are a lot of misconceptions out there, and out right lies. I follow it and think it makes a lot of sense. There are a number of us that have a runnnig thread called Paleo support group, if you would like to join in and ask questions feel free. You can find us here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175165-palelo-support-group
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I actually do better when I completely cut out things vs weening off or allowing treats every other day.

And as far as the dairy, that is from person to person ( I think). My dermatologist strongly suggested I eat as little dairy as possible to help keep my skin clear (as dairy has added hormones and that throws everything off).

I think the fat thing is talking about eating a bunch of fatty read meat vs almonds, olive oil...the "healthy fats".

I would definately recommend picking up a book regarding the diet. They are all pretty similiar, but the one that *I* followed was this..

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Diet-Weight-Healthy-Designed/dp/0470913029/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300223783&sr=8-1

I keep this book in my kitchen with my cookbooks and reference it quite often :) When I'm feeling like I've mistreated my body, I go back to basics and pull out this book and follow it for a few weeks to get back on track.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I have a Nook and I am currently looking at the eBooks they have, considering buying one. I would definitely like to read up on it more before committing to it.

Thank you everyone, for your input!! :happy:
  • Ningymouse
    Options
    My husband followed the paleo diet back in Feb and lost 70 lbs in 3 mo. It teaches to eat caveman style. Not too bad Just wasn't for me. I think its a great way to learn to eat healthier but can't bring myself to stick to it.
  • Ningymouse
    Options
    I forgot to put the year. It was Feb 2010!
  • xtina11179
    Options
    My husband followed the paleo diet back in Feb and lost 70 lbs in 3 mo. It teaches to eat caveman style. Not too bad Just wasn't for me. I think its a great way to learn to eat healthier but can't bring myself to stick to it.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned, as most people are with any new plan. After mentioning the part above about not drinking much milk, I DIDN'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CHEESE!! I adore cheese and would put in on ice cream if I could! Okay, not that extreme, but pretty close. That will be hard for me.

However, I need to do something. I have been reading the thread that "freerange" posted and it doesn't seem as bad as I thought!
  • xtina11179
    Options
    I forgot to put the year. It was Feb 2010!

Ha ha!! Well, I figured it wasn't THIS year! :wink:
  • MissKim
    Options
    You might like "primal" better than paleo, alot like paleo only dairy is allowed. check out www.marksdailyapple.com I love his website. and just remember you don't have to go as strict as some people. basically if you cut out anything refined, processed you will lose weight!