ground beef calorie question

Options
I always use 73/27 Ground beef because it is cheaper than the ground round and ground chuck. BUT it is higher in calories and fat. My question is even if u drain all the grease and rinse with water thoroughly is the calorie and fat still what is listed on the packaging of 1360 for the whole pound? Or does it change to a lower amount cause most of the fat is gone from it?

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I had heard that boiling ground beef will cut down on fat. I love bison and beef for tacos, but my bison isn't labeled so I wanted to make sure it had very little fat. If you look at this study it indicates that blotting and rinsing beef with very hot water can cut fat down by more than 50%.

www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/assets/pdf_Files/Reducing%20Fat%20in%20Ground%20Beef.pdf
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    it's a generally fatter meat, but it's probably not as bad as what is on the pacakge. I would think if you were draining the meat and washing it down with water you could probably use the caloric values for 85/15 meat. Which isn't big difference but enough.

It's just my hubby and I so we use 95% and yes it's expensive!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Some of the fat cooks out, but most stays. I use 96/4 extra lean beef and there is almost no fat or any liquid to drain, it's all meat.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    It would reduce some fat, but its impossible to say how much.

Consider buying the expensive stuff, as you will find you use less of it. You're basically paying to tip that fat down the drain...
    I buy 1kg/2lb of 95/5 and it does 3 meals for my family nicely, wheras if I buy the cheap 80/20 by the time the water and fat is gone, I need 2x as much of it raw, making it more expensive in the long run!
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would stick to what is on the label. You can't accurately drain the fat and know what you have. Better would be to mix it with a bit of ground turkey or even pork to help with the calories. Even better is forget the ground beef altogether and stick with the lean meats like fish, poultry and pork

I know where you are coming from I did have an awesome hamburger last night, I just had to plan for it so it didn't wreck my day.
  • Katiebug84
    Options
    Thanks ladies. I figured some would be gone from it but wasnt fore sure how much. I think I will readjust it a little on my recipes and logs from now on using 85/15.