Help ideas for breakfast!

Options
Hi

I haven't got much time in the mornings but enough to not have to grab and go but I haven't got a clue what on earth is the best stuff to eat for breakfast. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm allowed 1200 calories a day

Thanks

Replies

• Kremlin16
    Options
    I have found that it works really well to do a little food prep on the weekends so I can still eat healthful food on the weekdays when I'm running out the door. Try "quiche cups". Chop up some veggies, (I use red peppers, onions, and broccoli but any combo works) saute with a little salt and pepper and any other spice mix you like untilt he veggies are soft. Beat 10 eggs and then mix with sauteed vegetables. Pour into greased muffin tins and sprinkle with low-fat cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20 mins or until firm and golden on top. Just pop 1 or 2 in the microwave in the morning before you head out. Enjoy and good luck!
  • hannaha21
    Options
    Thank you they sound yum I will definitely be trying them. I just tend to leave everything to the last minute. Need to get better at that!
  • Franticantics
    Options
    I love having porridge/oatmeal cld the next day, i make it in the evening then put it in the fridge.
    It's so yummy cold because it sort of solidifies, but nq quite, hard to explain, but it feels really naughty!
    yummmm
    x
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I buy frozen mixed berries and greek yogurt, I mix in a cup of each with 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. I can do this real quick in the morning or the night before, as the berries thaw the juice/water from them mixes with the yogurt for a nice sweet flavor and both the nuts and yogurt have protein which helps keep me full through the morning. It's kinda my new favorite thing!! :-)
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually have protein after the gym in the am...string cheese, or greek yogurt or a 150 calorie (ish) drink like a light muscle milk or adkins shake then around 10 (at work) I have a packet of oatmeal. It gives me 150-180 calories at 7am and again at 10.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I eat one slice of bread and cottage cheese before I go to school.. I buy a fruit on the way there:)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If I only had 1200 cal to eat, I would eat a greek yogurt and some fruit. Or a piece of whole wheat toast with 1 Tb peanut butter and a low cal fruit.
  • fiona408
    fiona408 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love to have a low-calorie (100) English muffin toasted with 1/4 cup egg beaters (with a little salt, pepper and hot sauce) and queso fresco with chipotle laughing cow spreadable cheese...165 calories, and I eat it in the car on the way to work.
  • Skiper8485
    Options
    I have the same problem! I actually like the Slim Fast Shakes - Milk Chocolate is my favorite and only 190 calories. Keeps me full until lunch (about 4 hours) even moving and chasing a 2 year old!

I've also found that I really like vanilla greek yogurt with granola in it.

I recently read that if you eat and apple and drink a glass of water it keeps you full as well!

Good luck!
  • jslmani
    jslmani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm always in a hurry in the morning w/ 2 kids under 7 and as a single mom, so here's a couple of my favorite go to's for quick brkfst...

I make homemade smoothies, w/ just a few ingredients, organic milk, organic plain yogurt, honey, and fruit (I usually use one banana and 4 strawberries) but it's fun to mix it up. (when I'm done its about 250-280 cals)

Also I enjoy toasting an english muffin (140 cals) w/ a few slices of canadian bacon (20 cals/slice) and if I have time, I add some egg beaters/ spinach, or cheese or tsp honey mustard.
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen mixed berries and greek yogurt, I mix in a cup of each with 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. I can do this real quick in the morning or the night before, as the berries thaw the juice/water from them mixes with the yogurt for a nice sweet flavor and both the nuts and yogurt have protein which helps keep me full through the morning. It's kinda my new favorite thing!! :-)

I have been eating something similar.

I usually have:

1 Container of Activia Lite Yogurt
    1/4 Cup whole roasted (UNsalted) Almonds
    3 oz. Fresh Blueberries

I mix the almonds and blueberries into the yogurt for a somewhat cereal-esque feel. It usually puts me back about 310 calories or so for breakfast.

I have been trying to add in a few extra calories in my breakfasts though, I need to find one more component.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    wake up a few minutes earlier? I started waking up 20 minutes earlier so i can make a brown bag lunch and breakfast ...

Typical for me is

1 hard boiled egg with 1 slice of wholegrain toast
    1 cup of cheerios with 1% milk *1/2 cup*
    1 piece of wholegrain toast with PB

Just wake up a couple of minutes earlier :) You can eat whatever you like :)
  • ladyjh578
    ladyjh578 Posts: 207
    Options
    I just started making a big pan of eggs to last a few mornings.
    I use a cup of liquid egg whites and like 2 or 3 brown eggs then add in whatever I want. I just got done making the eggs with 3 mushrooms, 1 medium peppers, 1/4 cup diced onions and some smoked gouda cheese. This recipe will last me 3 or 4 mornings. I just let it cool, put into 3 or 4 containers and grab in the morning. It is super yummy and you can add whatever you like in.
    I have also made black bean quesadillas for the week too. I am learning this time around that it pays to PLAN AHEAD. If the healthy food is ready and available to you, you will grab that. It makes life so much easier!!!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat a Chiobani Greek non fat yogurt with 2 tbsp. of cold milled ground flax seed just about every day (I change the flavors). It is VERY filling, fast and you can take it to go if you need to. Plus it is a nutritional powerhouse.
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Chobani pineapple is the bomb-diggity!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I like to slice a banana into a bowl, put some bran cereal over the top, then add some milk. I do the banana first so the bran doesn't go mushy sitting in the bottom of the bowl in the milk - blerk!
  • Calicoskies
    Calicoskies Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I toast an English muffin, then place 3 thin slices of Boars Head deli ham on a plate, folded in half of a paper towel. I micro the ham slices on high for 1min or 1min 15sec just till the edges curl and start to brown. Then place on the EMuffin and top with a slice of cheese. I don't like eggs, and its time consuming to cook one. But the ham/cheese/muffin fills me up and depending on your ingredients, its about 300 cals or less. I drink a glass of skim milk and I'm set for 4-5hrs.
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have found that it works really well to do a little food prep on the weekends so I can still eat healthful food on the weekdays when I'm running out the door. Try "quiche cups". Chop up some veggies, (I use red peppers, onions, and broccoli but any combo works) saute with a little salt and pepper and any other spice mix you like untilt he veggies are soft. Beat 10 eggs and then mix with sauteed vegetables. Pour into greased muffin tins and sprinkle with low-fat cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20 mins or until firm and golden on top. Just pop 1 or 2 in the microwave in the morning before you head out. Enjoy and good luck!

I do the same thing but I use egg beaters...may save you some calories :)