Eat too little? or exercise too much?

Options
So I usually burn between 500 and 1000 calories when I work out. Sunday, Yesterday, and Today I have burned 600 each day. Obviously, exercise is good.. I feel good.. I don't feel an issue. I am having a really hard time eating the extra calories to get up to 1,200 a day. The only way I did it yesterday was to eat pizza and a calzone and I still ended up 150 calories under the 1,200 mark. The issue is that I don't feel hungry. When I'm hungry.. I eat. I've been eating 3 meals a day plus snacks. I'm really paranoid about my metabolism slowing down due to not eating 1,200 calories a day but I am really enjoying exercise and I don't want to bring that down either. What do you think? My food diary is public so please feel free to look at that. I would love any suggestions about how much to worry, ways to ingest more calories without it being junk, and if my exercise is okay.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    eat more food. Split up into 5 or 6 snacks (doesn't have to be snacky food, just smaller portions of meals) and FORCE yourself to eat. not being hungry is a sign that you are going into "starvation mode" Eat healthy things to fill up the calories and plan so that you space things out well on exercise days (i.e. dont eat 800 for dinner) and you'll see the pounds come off. Also, try starting the day off with a hearty breakfast (oatmeal, eggs, etc.) My diary is public if you want suggestions.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about struggling to get 1200 net calories? If you're talking abotu 1200 food calories without accounting for exercise, then that's pretty dang low.

I had similar struggles to you to get enough calories on days I burn a lot. I turned to healthy fats -- nuts, avocado, etc. I made a trail mix for myself from naw nuts/seeds/cranberries/raisins that is low in sodium, 700 calories for a cup, and only has 5 grams of saturated fat. It also has a ton of fiber and protein. I usually eat those on days I play basketball, where I'll lose a lot of calories.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes, I couldn't agree more. Have a hearty breakfast, usually doing this will help blood sugars any how through out the day. Eat some high calorie snacks. Hummus, natural PB, add a little more healthy fats into your diet like Avocado on a sandwhich or salad, and some beans. Small but filling and they're higher in cals. Hope this helps.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am having same issue burning 600+kcal with working out and only eating 1200-1300 calories ending with a net of only like 600-700 have started eating more often used to to just the 3 meals and light snack now having several small meals to try and work in healthy food and not just calorie dense foods at end of day to push up counter. Have been looking at other members diary to see what they eat for snacks and how they are able to get to proper amount of intake. It is new to me and counter intuitive to what i am used to.
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about struggling to get 1200 net calories? If you're talking abotu 1200 food calories without accounting for exercise, then that's pretty dang low.

I had similar struggles to you to get enough calories on days I burn a lot. I turned to healthy fats -- nuts, avocado, etc. I made a trail mix for myself from naw nuts/seeds/cranberries/raisins that is low in sodium, 700 calories for a cup, and only has 5 grams of saturated fat. It also has a ton of fiber and protein. I usually eat those on days I play basketball, where I'll lose a lot of calories.

1,200 Net Calories!! I eat a lot!! I just am just trying to keep it healthy which lowers the calories and then with exercise on top I have trouble getting back up to 1,200 net
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    I have the same problem.. I burn about 500 cals a day, at weekends much more. I eat 5 meals a day, about 1200 cals. But I don't eat my workout cals because I really am not hungry...
  • sylvia1970
    sylvia1970 Posts: 134
    Options
    You don't have to eat back all your calories from exercise. Just make sure that you are not starving or feel weak as you don't wanna be fainting.

Eat regular and you'll should be fine.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and decided not to worry about it. I have workout days that burn 1,000 calories and I'm supposed eat 1900 calories a day to lose a pound a week. On a good day (I eat 6 - 7 meals a day) I can't eat 1900 calories of food in one day, much less 2900. I have not noticed any ill effects since joining in December. Eat if your hungry.

V.
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My net starts at 1250 for the day and once I add exercise it goes up and I've been averaging about 1880 a day with a net ending of 1250 or 1248. Sometimes it's tough getting in so much food but you can eat healthy foods and still get the calories. I try to eat as clean as possible and pack a good amount of calories into small meals so I don't feel insanely full. For breakfast I'll have a slice of 100% natural whole wheat toast with all natural peanutbutter, topped with a banana and a glass of milk on the side. Ends up around 400 cals. I do still keep track of protein and such but I'm finding it easier and easier to get my calories and my body is certainly thanking me.