Good Sources of Potassium????

Options
Anyone know of any good sources of potassium?

i read an article that the more you have helps you lose weight, and i checked on my food diary and i'm not even getting my recommended amount per day, i'm like 2000 off!:noway:
Help!
-Laura

Replies

• laurabelle25
    Options
    Anyone know of any good sources of potassium?

i read an article that the more you have helps you lose weight, and i checked on my food diary and i'm not even getting my recommended amount per day, i'm like 2000 off!:noway:
    Help!
    -Laura
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Banana's!!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    bananas and potatoes.
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Bananas are usually the easiest (I eat like 2 a day) or you could take a potassium supplement (vitamin)...

other foods that are super high in potassium:
    sweet potatoes, yogurt, spinach, peaches, and cantaloupe

I do both eat a lot of potassium rich foods and take a supplement because my body doesn't absorb potassium correctly, so I need giganto amounts of it to get what i really need...

Potassium can also help you avoid muscle cramps. I used to get horrible cramps in my legs, even when I was sleeping. That's what made the doc realize it was a potassium deficiency.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas with peanut butter in the morning....so good and it fills you up! I don't know about potassium on the weight loss aspect, but i do know your muscles especially need it. If they don't have enough potassium you get crazy charly horses and cramps!!!
  • lk14040
    lk14040 Posts: 90
    Options
    milk and im not sure about all orange juice, but I get the minute maid kids + and that has almost the same amount as milk.
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    Bananas are usually the easiest (I eat like 2 a day) or you could take a potassium supplement (vitamin)...

other foods that are super high in potassium:
    sweet potatoes, yogurt, spinach, peaches, and cantaloupe

I do both eat a lot of potassium rich foods and take a supplement because my body doesn't absorb potassium correctly, so I need giganto amounts of it to get what i really need...

Potassium can also help you avoid muscle cramps. I used to get horrible cramps in my legs, even when I was sleeping. That's what made the doc realize it was a potassium deficiency.

I think my body absorbs too much! If I eat a banana, I have leg cramps all day and all night, no matter what kind of exercises I'm doing. My husband is opposite: He has to take potassium supplements and eat bananas, at least two or three a day, to get what he needs. Potatoes are good, too, but he doesn't like sweet potatoes. I eat a lot of yogurt. I didn't realize it had a lot of potassium. I might try letting it go for awhile and see if that makes a difference. Those leg cramps that make me have to get up at 3:00am and walk through the house to get rid of them: NO FUN!
    Thanks for your good info.
    Marti in Kentucky