Sodium.....O.M.G....

Options
Wandami
Wandami Posts: 65 Member
I just checked my sodium for the day and about passed out! I'm over 700 plus. Sooooooo not happy right now...:(

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I am too. ah well.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    water...water..water...it will help u flush all the excess sodium out
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oh gosh... dont talk to me about sodium...we are not friends... it contributes towards water retention and stiffness of the muscle... its just horrible.... my advise...drink water...lots of water!!!!!!!!!
  • DanNoonan
    DanNoonan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Same... Seems like I'm at 4k+ on nearly a daily basis... But it tastes sooo good (and / or all of my high protein / low fat options just has a boat load of it).
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I am always over on sodium, it annoys me because I know how my body reacts to it. It is damn near unavoidable though in the foods I eat. Most I can make myself and reduce the sodium dramatically if not eliminate it. I love soup, beef jerky and a few other high sodium things though :sad: I am trying to drink a ton of water and increase my potassium intake as well to offset the sodium. It is hard to take in enough potassium though. I might be looking for a supplement for that soon.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    That's my goal for March..stay under calories and under sodium. I lowered my sodium level to 1500 too...so far so good! I do have my off days here and there, but you'll get back on track! :)
  • Kimberlynnd
    Options
    I was completely shocked on my sodium intake! I'm finding it to be a challenge to stay within my goal as well! But I've stay under now for two days!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I am always over on sodium, it annoys me because I know how my body reacts to it. It is damn near unavoidable though in the foods I eat. Most I can make myself and reduce the sodium dramatically if not eliminate it. I love soup, beef jerky and a few other high sodium things though :sad: I am trying to drink a ton of water and increase my potassium intake as well to offset the sodium. It is hard to take in enough potassium though. I might be looking for a supplement for that soon.

Try coconut water. Loads of potassium.
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lol I feel your pain I am forever over and it sucks!! I retain water and bloat up from salt.....I feel like I eat healthy but alot of healthy stuff has salt in it so whats a girl to do??? lol
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Ive come to believe that the only way I can stay under my sodium goal is to eat nothing but raw veggies and stay below 700 calories a day. So much hidden sodium in EVERYTHING! Just keep sucking down the water and flush it out! :drinker:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. :happy: My goal is 1,800 a day. It's not easy!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with that unless I eat out at Burger King or something. Although I don't track when I add salt to my food? Quite rare, but I might start doing that anyways.
  • kroyalty
    kroyalty Posts: 22
    Options
    I am having a hard time keeping under my sodium goal as well. I can't judge it in foods---can't even guess at it--like calories or carbs. Many foods that I don't have a clue contain so much have a ton of sodium in them and I usually don't know until AFTER I have eaten them and log it in. :sad: Trying to learn to watch a little closer and drink lots and lots of water!
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I had this problem yesterday. The only way to avoid the sodium is to avoid processed foods. Even those healthy choice, smart ones & all those other "healthy" tv dinners are loaded with it. More veggies & fruit, or anything else that does not come out of a box will keep your sodium counts lower.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I battle with sodium too. I used to be a salt-a-holic, but I don't even add salt to anything anymore (took a long time to get to the point where I lost my taste for it, but I can finally eat w/o "needing" the extra saltiness). I cook with reduced sodium ingredients whenever possible... and STILL I find my sodium on the high side every day. It's a little frustrating. I don't drink soda and I down 100oz of water a day, so I don't beat myself up too much over it. :wink:
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I live in NW Indiana and went grocery shopping last Friday and spent 20 minutes looking at canned tomatoes, trying to find ones with no added salt! Ended up buying none. Today I had to take hubby to Chicago for a dr appointment. I dropped him off and went "supplemental" grocery shopping instead of sitting in the waiting room. Stocked up on my "NO ADDED SALT" tomatoes and some other veggies that we can't get out here!
  • Wandami
    Wandami Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great replies! I try to eat as clean as possible but main splurge is progresso soup for lunch. I always get low sodium or light. I rechecked my soup label against what was already entered here and realized that I entered the wrong soup so I'm NOT over on my sodium...YAY!!!!!!!!!....=0)
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I better go check my sodium!Yikes!
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Lots and Lots of water :)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Diabetes & heart problems run in my family, so sodium & sugar are things I try to watch. I removed them for awhile until I started getting better on my cals & such. It was just too overwhelming looking at all the things I was supposed to watch. I've added it back in, and OMG! What an eye-opener! My Slimfast shake in the morning w/ a banana was OVER my sugar. In one meal! I am getting better though!