Why do you over eat?

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
Sorry if this has been done before, I am new here. I just wondered, for those of us who can't resist overeating, what are your triggers? Is it boredom, comfort, hunger?
I go through phases where I eat more than I should, but I think it's habit more than anything. I have been not eating unless hungry for 8 weeks now, and I feel much more in control. I don't want to go back to eating out of habit.

Replies

• hanni23
    hanni23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

For me it's usually boredom combined with stress...tho I worked out that my danger time for it happening was late afternoon around four - so I go for a walk at this time instead gets me out of the house and solves the boredom
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I realize I drink very little water. When my body is actually thirty, I feed it. I started drinking water in place of eating sometimes and that decreases my cravings.
  • smashpants22
    smashpants22 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Boredom, definately. And because cheese is far too delicious!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    For me, it's just mindlessness and laziness. If I am not thinking about what I'm eating, if I'm just grabbing somehting when I'm hungry--hello extra pounds!

And also, for me, when i work out regularly, I eat better, I just feel better about my body and what it can do and I don't want to slow it down. When i don't workout, I get really lazy with my eating.
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    boredom, hunger, anger, stress, the realization that i'm not digesting something. sometimes the addiction doesn't need a reason to trigger. it just realizes i'm not full therefore i need to be eating. :( its a constant uphill battle but its a battle that i will win. ;)

and you too. :p
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    No particular reason, I just like the taste of fine food and fine wine :bigsmile:
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Bordem and stress. Food brings me comfort for both. But this year I an trying to replace this reaction with exercise instead of food. It is working, but I still have cravings. I do seem to have more control.
  • maaalloryy
    Options
    Boredom & when I'm tired!
    It's habit too.
    I have to try really hard not to be eating all the time. If I'm thinking about eating, I'll make myself wait 10 minutes. Once it's in my head though, I can't get it out, and my mind starts to think i'm actually hungry.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    laziness in the choices of food i used to get, and just 'cause it plain tasted good. i didn't overeat often, usually only when i went to a buffet or had sushi...mmmmmm sushi. but yeah, when i did, totally 'cause it tasted good.
  • Nita_Bita
    Nita_Bita Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Because food is just awesome - especially anything high in sugar and filled with chocolate! :tongue: I mostly over eat do to boredom and stress.