121 pounds lost... and I feel like giving up.

Options
The past few weeks have not been going so well. I've been stuck at 174 pounds no matter what I do, and I have had this insatiable appetite! This week has got to be the worst though. I've upped my exercise a bit and upped my calories some too... because that worked once to get out of a previous plateau. I stepped on the scale this morning (even though my weigh-in day is on Saturday) just to check: up 3 pounds. It's not normal for my weight to fluctuate daily, soooo... Great. Just great. Brought my calories down to 1250: I've been hungry at 1400, who knows how I'll survive at 1250. (And, now, I wonder how I managed eating 1000 calories a day just a month or two ago. Wow) Haha. No more big bowls of strawberries and cream oatmeal with banana slices for breakfast anymore -- my new favorite food in the world at the moment.

Yeah, but seriously, I'm just sick of working my *kitten* off each day and getting nothing in return. I don't want to focus on carbs or sodium or sugars because I know I'll get obsessed with it all. (I got so bad once about tracking individual nutrients that I stopped eating.) So, all I can do is mess around with my calorie intake. 1300 doesn't work, 1350 doesn't, 1400 doesn't... All I really want to do is stop thinking about calories and weight loss and exercise. It's starting to affect my grades at school; I'm constantly hungry these days, and I CANNOT focus when I'm hungry. I just want to be able to eat without thinking, like every other teenage girl in the world. God, I want to be able to go restaurants and just order a damn cheeseburger and fries. This sucks. I'm never going to get to my goal weight at this rate, and even when I do, I'm still going to obsess over calories until the day I die. I think I was happier at 295 pounds.

Any advice appreciated... Especially if you have some ideas about how to control this sudden increase in appetite and breaking through my plateau once and for all.

Replies

• anemoneflynn
    Options
    Do you feel good at the weight you are now? Maybe you should take a break, move to a maintenance level for a little while. It sounds like you've done an absolutely fantastic job to lose 121 pounds, I don't think there's any point in beating yourself up while you're at 174. Take some time to smell the roses and destress! How tall are you, is your BMI below obese now?
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    DO NOT give up hun. You're doing absolutely great.

You need to just visualize the end result. Think about being able to fit into those beautiful clothes you have always wanted to try on.

Think about being able to take control of your life by taking control of your health and losing the fat.

Remember you have already lost a ****ton of weight and are getting close to your end result. Make a goal for your self about taking a fabulous vacation to the beach and being able to wlk around and show off your new hot body in that bikini you always wanted.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    It's normal for about a weeks to go up a few pounds when you increase your calories. Dont be discouraged! Your body will always be a week or two behind what you're doing for it. :) You'll crest that hill and start losing again. You're doing the right thing though! Keep your chin up hun!!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow, 121 pounds.. that's amazing!!

I saw this earlier today-- it's long, and it's someone else's post, so I can't take credit for it. But it sounds like it might help you out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/187973-an-email-response-that-might-help-some?page=1#posts-2493477
  • beerbomber
    beerbomber Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You say nothing works but you lost 121 pounds, its not always easy but I try to make it simple their is no real deadline on when you have to lose the weight just as long as you do the things you need to do to lose the weight. Cause if you do those things the weight will come off and only you can get in your own way.
  • vwag16
    vwag16 Posts: 1
    Options
    I read your article and I just wanted you to know that I know what you mean about wanting to eat all of the time. I just started this process but I have thought about diets but never really put my mind to it. I don't know if being thin will ever make you happy but I do know that by losing weight we will feel a whole lot better. I have recently found that as I gain control of other things in my life such as my money, job and relationships I have become motivated to get in control of my eating. Maybe focus your attention on something else in your life that needs to be controlled and then you will regain your control over your food.
    Good luck! Your weight loss has truly inspired me. It's nice to know that I'm not the only person who can't control their hunger.
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up!! You've come so far! Have you tried switching your workouts a little? Maybe try doing something different (swimming is a great calorie burner) or alternate a tougher workout with easier ones. I have a friend who is a fitness instructor and she recommends that when you hit a plateau. Just DON"T GIVE UP!! :happy:
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    If you've recently upped your exercise, then its likely a temporary weight gain due to increased glycogen - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/193739-upped-exercise-and-experiencing-weight-gain
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Girl, DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You are soo close to your goal weight! Sometimes when we exercise for so long, our bodies begin to plateau..Keep doing what you are doing. MAKE SURE you are eating your calories that you burn when you exercise. Being hungry all the time sounds like your metabolism has gotten faster...THATS A GOOD THING!!!! Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water..that will help curve your appetite. Go back down to 1200 cal's/day or whatever MFP recommends for your activity level. Exercise 3-4x a week and you should start losing weight. Remember...if your body is in the plateau mode, it might take it a couple of weeks to get going again. BUT DON'T GIVE UP!!! YOU ARE DOING AWESOME! I am very proud of you for you accomplishment! Losing 121lbs is AWESOME! Just hang in there. What I do, and not everybody will agree w/me..but I have one cheat day a week. I try not to totally over do it where I'm having to work my butt off the rest of the week to lose what I gained..but I do let myself enjoy the cheeseburger and fries...or the couple of slices of pizza. Just remember on your "cheat" days, still eat in moderation..don't get yourself TOTALLY stuffed, get yourself to where you feel full. Not hungry and not stuffed. Drink lots and lots of water. Hang in there! You are so close to you goal that I KNOW you will make it before you know it! Keep up the good work! I admire you for what you've done so far and what you continue to do!
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you feel good at the weight you are now? Maybe you should take a break, move to a maintenance level for a little while. It sounds like you've done an absolutely fantastic job to lose 121 pounds, I don't think there's any point in beating yourself up while you're at 174. Take some time to smell the roses and destress! How tall are you, is your BMI below obese now?

I agree. Maybe just a short break of a week will do you some good. Then, you will feel like getting back into the swing of things the following week. Big congrats on 121!!! You look great now! People like you is what keeps me going and inspired. Good luck and dont give up hun. Your doing great right now!
  • KandiLicious
    KandiLicious Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think one of your great motivators could be looking back through old photos of yourself...see what you used to look like and compare it to pictures now. Try to remember how you felt 121 lbs heavier...there had to be a reason you decided to lose weight...try and remember what that was.
    You have done an awesome job already. You can kick this plateau just like you kicked 121 lbs.:flowerforyou:
  • mel_0920
    mel_0920 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hang in there funkyspunky. This isn't supposed to be painful, if it is, you're going about it the wrong way. It's not a punishment to be on a diet, it's a healthy life style. I would try a new exercise routine, increase walking, try swimming, try running. If you are working out intensely your body is just learning from your routine and adjusting because your body is smart, it wants to hold on to fat as a safety mechanism because our bodies want us to be able to survive should a famine occur. lol.

Look..... The SAME exact thing happened to ME 2 weeks ago. I couldn't understand what happened, how I gained weight and it was devastating. I spoke to a friend of mine that had a similar experience and you know what. She told me how she decided to go an entire week completely off her diet, no paying attention to the calories, just took a break, but while she was on a break, she was reading more about nutrition and foods and bought some books and a new food/activity journal. She even bought a new DVD set from beach body (Ever heard of INSANITY?) Well.... after her fun week off, eating whatever she felt like eating... she knew she would go back on after 7 days. Once her 7 day break was over, she started her new work-out video and back to her 1200ish calorie intake and almost within 48 hours already started to see results AND WEIGHT LOST! she broke the plateu. You just need to find out what works for you, until you have tried every new workout DVD out there, I doubt you've tried "everything" . I don't have the DVD that she has, but I started to wake up an extra 20 minutes early and started walking/jogging in the morning. I'm reading it will kickstart my metabolism. I'm not sure what will work for you but dear do NOT give up. You have gone too far to give up now. (Unless it is an unhealthy weight for you to be lower than 174 of course. Not knowing how tall you are or how old you are, I don't know your 'ideal weight'.
  • TiffanyT29
    TiffanyT29 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up, and don't let it wreck the rest of your life. We are doing a biggest loser thing with work, and all share the good and the bad on how we are doing. I would recommend not giving up the exercise, but don't kill yourself every day. Maybe talk to a personal trainer and make sure your working what you need to and only often as you need to. Now that you are under 200 lbs, it will get harder and harder, but you have already overcome the hardest part - Starting! Many "diets" call for one cheat day per week. Pick one day of the week, and go order your Cheese burger and Fries. Then the next day get back on track for your week.

Also, have you tried a vitamin regimen? My Doctor recommended the following:

Fish Oil
    Prenatals
    Calcium w/vitamin D1500
    Melatonin 3 mg (if you have trouble falling asleep at night)
    5HTP (if you have some mood swings, carb craving, etc)
    B12 & B6
    If you have time, look them up to see if they may be right for you, or ask you general/gyn physician.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    I agree with the first response...try living at maintenance for a while. We're not talking about for years, or even months and months. But living at maintenance can help to remind you why you're doing this in the first place...to be healthy, fit, and happy. Not to obsess, try this strategy, then jump to that strategy, and then feel miserable. And sometimes, telling your body, "okay, body, no more losing for a while" is just what it wants to hear. Give it a chance to breathe and stabilize, and it will eventually stop fighting you. (And pragmatically speaking...if you're going to be at a plateau anyway, you might as well plateau at more calories, rather than less, right?)
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    First...YOU'VE COME SO FAR! CONGRATULATIONS! You've done what most of us (myself included) DREAM of doing! *hugs* I hope you break through this plateau! And I know we don't have to tell you...the scale isnt everything...yadda yadda yadda...Stop worrying! Stress is probably hurting more than helping! Maybe increase your fiber? Eat some low calorie veggies, ETC?

I hope it works out for you! and you know I can't wait to see your success~~~!!!!!!!
  • bizybee316
    bizybee316 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    to piggyback off of what mel said...i also had a friend that hit a plateau for a couple of weeks, took about a week off from her diet and exercise, resumed it a week later, and the weight began to melt off. This is a weird analogy, but think of when ur phone freezes or your ipod or whatever electronic device you have freezes. Many times just shutting it off for a while and then starting it back up makes it work again. Maybe you can try just taking a break, and then just jolt your body back into resuming weight loss.
  • jlopez87
    jlopez87 Posts: 22
    Options
    I agree, don't give up!! You've been SO successful!! I can only DREAM of losing as much weight as you have!! I hope one day I have the same problem you're having ;) (just kidding, I don't want the problem..just the weight-loss)

Someone suggested maybe taking a break. Maybe for a week or two just work on MAINTAINING your weight rather than losing it...and then once two weeks is up maybe go down to the 1,250cal and increase your exercise a bit. Maybe your body just needs a time-out.

Eat enough calories to maintain but not loose/gain, and exercise in a healthy way.

Some days I feel like I'm SO HUNGRY its out of control! Myfitnesspal's goal for my calorie intake is around 1,300 and I'm having a hard time sticking to that. I feel like every day I go over! Today I ate food with more fiber and protein than I usually do and I ate significantly less! I didn't feel nearly as hungry as I usually do.
    Some other things I did today - I brushed my teeth after every meal (chewed gum when I was unable to brush)..the minty flavor in my mouth made me want my mouth fresh and clean feeling and prevented me from snacking when not necessary)... and I cleaned the heck out of my house! I spent about 4hours organizing and cleaning and it kept me busy and on track!!

Good luck, keep up the good work!!
  • Debbe1955
    Debbe1955 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    According to the experts when we plateau we need to change things up. I agree take a week off and then start back fresh - remember to eat the calories to stay with the plan MFP recommends. I was reading in a book about Craving and it told of the author taking a walk everyday and admiring a flower garden. She always saw someone tending the garden on her walk. That's when it occurred to her that if you want a beautiful heathly garden then you have to work at it. It is a journey....not a destination. Some days we work realy hard - some days we need to sit back and admire what we have accomplished. I think it is time for your to take a mini-break and look at your old pictures and admire what you have accomplished. Awesome work!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

I agree. Don't obsess over losing weight, just concentrate on maintenance and how you FEEL!!
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    Like many others- I agree w/this...

Definately take a breather, enjoy what you have done & feel out the whole situation. You'll be happy you did. You have lost an amazing amount of weight. Let it sink in, live your life just watch what your doing @ the same time. Congrats on your continued process.

Be PROUD girl!!!
    Tracey:flowerforyou: