Triathletes - Experienced, Newbies and Wannabes

Options
Hey there! Are there any triathletes out there, either experienced, newbie (like myself) or wannabe (you've thought about it but didn't quite know how to start) who want to connect and share stories/successes/challenges/nutritional tips/questions? I just got into the sport last summer, as a way to improve my fitness and increase my energy. Now I find I love the variety of working 3 disciplines into my workout routine and am amazed at the full body strength it builds. I joined MFP in February to learn about and manage my nutrition. I'd love to talk with others who are on the same journey, and to those who want to get into the sport but need a little nudge, encouragement and guidance to get going. I learned last summer that there is no stereotypical triathlete - we come in all shapes, sizes, ages, fitness levels and we have different reasons for why we took on the sport. :smile:

Let me know if you're interested...

Replies

• autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Friend me lets talk!
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    Same, but im terrified of the swim portion :/
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've run a couple sprints, so I guess that makes me experienced? LOL

Considering my third this summer as I've been working out more than ever, and should be in the best shape of my life!

Love more friends if you are interested... :)
  • alliej
    alliej Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am looking to POSSIBLY do one this summer. Still trying to decide if I can handle it!
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    Alliej - what part of the country do you live in? There are some great women's only sprints that are totally doable and amazingly inspirational! :)
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i was on the swim team in college and they made us do a triathlon. 1000 yard swim, 12 mile bike, 2 mile run.

being a swimmer, i took it easy on the swim part....kicked *kitten* on the bike....and failed miserably on the run haha. (but i wasn't last!) I'm now training for a 5k and have given some thought to doing another triathlon.

got any training plans?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I really have no experience or input.

Just wanted to say my coworker is currently training for an Olympic distance triathlon this summer. He is the most fit/athletic person I've ever seen and he knows his stuff. He is currently waking up about 4:30 a.m. on Tuesdays/Thursday to take a swimming class before work. He said they have been doing various drill/interval workouts and today they worked on their endurance. Sounds grueling. He is starved all day on Tuesdays and Thursdays at work :)

Good luck!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options

That's where I've been getting my info. Also great search tool to find local races.
  • alliej
    Options
    Alliej - what part of the country do you live in? There are some great women's only sprints that are totally doable and amazingly inspirational! :)

Philadelphia Area. I was looking at SheRox
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I would love to but I have got to learn to swim first! :ohwell:
  • Flyntiggr
    Options
    you could totally do that! ;) Plenty of time to train too! :)

This is the one I've run twice thus far - http://www.endurancemag.com/charlotte-home.

Here's another great site for finding races - www.trifind.com
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    Ah, the dreaded swim....how far are you able to swim right now? And it doesn't matter what stroke it is...I did a sprint tri this summer where there was one guy who was doing the strangest back stroke (nowhere near recognizable as anything I was taught in Red Cross as a kid! LOL!), the whole way, but...he did it!
  • sftb
    Options
    I am looking to POSSIBLY do one this summer. Still trying to decide if I can handle it!

The sprints are a great distance because they aren't that bad; 30 lengths (pool swim), 20km bike, 5 km run. As long as you can make it out of the pool alive, I think you would be surprised what you can achieve. Of course, I am assuming that you have no injuries that make this dangerous for you. Google some sprints in your area and see if there's one you want to aspire to. You have lots of time before summer :wink:
  • sftb
    Options

That is a fantastic site! I wished I knew of this last summer when I started. I also bought "Triathlon for Dummies" to get some basic guidance on training plans.
  • sftb
    Options
    I would love to but I have got to learn to swim first! :ohwell:

Do you have a program at a local pool that teaches adult swimming?
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first sprint on April 10. I have another one on May 1 and one on June 5. I have been training since December and have learned quite a bit so I'm willing to help in any way that I can. That being said, I am obviously still very much a rookie and would love to learn from the rest of you who are rookies (or experienced) too!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Im gonna do a sprint tri this summer
  • alliej
    Options
    Im gonna do a sprint tri this summer

Good luck! How's training going? Is this your first?
  • alliej
    Options
    I am doing my first sprint on April 10. I have another one on May 1 and one on June 5. I have been training since December and have learned quite a bit so I'm willing to help in any way that I can. That being said, I am obviously still very much a rookie and would love to learn from the rest of you who are rookies (or experienced) too!

Were you always a runner?