My office is trying to kill me...

Options
I work for an accounting firm, so this time of year, they try to keep up happy (and productive) by feeding us copious amounts of buffet-style food. Todays lunch was catered by Qdoba, I local Mexican place that has *really* great food. Beans, rice, chicken, mounds of salsa and guacamole, all the things that I love to eat.

<ACK!>

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/MrUgly72/IMAG0026.jpg

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Those are pretty healthy foods though - just watch the portions especially on the rice - you only need a small amount of that but there is so much health benefit in beans, chicken salsa and guac. Drink plenty of water before and after to not over eat and then flush excess sodium.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    Pack a lunch and stay at ur desk!
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options
    I totally understand the feeling! It seems like someone is bringing something in here all the time for us to eat! I think they can keep the girls in the accounting office happy by feeding us! Used to work but now I just look at it and think wow I don't even want all those calories (ours is usually cakes and cookies and such) Hang in there and just watch your portions and drink lots of water!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    oh man! i'll take catered qdoba anyday over the cakes and doghnuts that everyone wants to bring to my office. EEKK!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Make your own version of a naked burrito! QDoba can be pretty good if you make the right choices. They could have brought in Donato's pizza and cookies like my office does! Their pizza is like 500 cals a SLICE!
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I work for an accounting firm, so this time of year, they try to keep up happy (and productive) by feeding us copious amounts of buffet-style food. Todays lunch was catered by Qdoba, I local Mexican place that has *really* great food. Beans, rice, chicken, mounds of salsa and guacamole, all the things that I love to eat.

<ACK!>

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb111/MrUgly72/IMAG0026.jpg

I know where you're coming from - I also work for a CPA. During March and April (on Saturdays) we have breakfast available and lunch catered. It does keep everyone happy, for sure, and it's even better when they have multiple options (i.e. salad instead of pizza or when you get to pick from the menu ahead of time).

It's a little easier here though, since there are a few of us watching what we eat. Stay strong!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I work for a logistics company that specializes in Asia(it really goes against my moral standings) but I need a paycheck because teaching nights at a college level does NOT pay the bills.

None the less everyone wants to eat out and it's either fast food or ASIAN food aka SALT/MSG HEAVEN!!!!

I have been staying strong lately and the water weight is dropping but I swear I dont understand how they people dont keel over and die from all the sodium they take in in a day and on top of the food that is already salt heavy they put more salt on it!!!!

STAY STRONG HOMIE. If anything have a lil bit of guac, yes it's fatty but it's good fat and it will be find in moderation.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my life... I work with exectutive for a big corp and they get thing catered all the time. Just this morning there was left over donuts, bagels, and pastries. Yesterday we too had Mexican catered for lunch. We get things like this at least once a month. Will power and moderation is key, which I know is hard to do.
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm also in accounting - and our docs do the same thing. Every week we have something catered in, it's torture!! Damn these office jobs!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I gained all my weight working for a CPA during tax season. We lived on Qdoba, Wendy's, Smashburger, Panda Express, and phillies. I would just suggest you take your own food everyday and politely decline the free lunches.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    we have lunch catered every day at my job, year round. luckily 80% of the time it includes salad options so i am usually ok. I just try to figure out what is offered and find the calorie content and then decide how much I can have. I have also made my lunch my "big" meal of the day. I allow myself more calories then because i am not much of a dinner eater.
  • Andy_Anne
    Andy_Anne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Been there too.... our last systems project (i'm in IT) lasted 8 months...nights and weekends. Our "powers that be" determined chips, chocolates, cookies, and soda were best to keep us happy.... I totally brought in my own healthy snacks. One day per week I would allow myself to have one cookie.

It is hard when it sits in front of you all day... Stay strong! :)
  • MrUgly
    MrUgly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Aye, every night it's something different; pizza with chicken Cesare, pasta with chicken Cesare, ribs with chicken Cesare. Chinese buffet. (That one damned near wrecked me.)

I make my lunches, I just have been asked to be social with the staff so Mgmt. wants me to eat in the lunch room. I see their black beans and rice and then look at mine; it's a tad discouraging.

The upside is most of the staff knows I want to lose weight and they nudge me along. (Of course, to nudge me, they generally have to get a winch with a block and tackle. :)
  • michelegbowman
    Options
    Mr NOT Ugly...

You're jokes are funny but I understand your pain. Today is my boss' birthday and there is such a spread. YUM!

I want to encourage you to use your wonderful sense of humor and say to everyone...

"Hey, I'm coming to socialize in the break room but I'm bringing my celery sticks cause you don't want me to have to use a block and tackle...(add your funny line.)

Then, seriously, to your management who is wanting you to join in....ask the to seriously consider offering healthy choices so you can live a healthy life. They obviously value you and I think they are likely to honor your request. Good luck.
  • RobinP1234
    RobinP1234 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    LOL..I keep wanting to press the like button (Like I do on FB) Guy, you crack me up..Keep up the Good Work and the Positive Attitude!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Stay strong soldier!! LOL!! :glasses:

I would have to leave if there was Maxican buffet!!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Mexican would do me in. I can usually pass on sweets, pastas etc. but Mexican...ummm...not so much. I would just call it a bad food diary day, push the fluids like a banshee and punish myself with extra tough workouts over the next couple of days to sweat out more of that sodium! I don't get it either...I work in a medical office/clinic and thank goodness, just 2-3 days a week. Drug reps are notorious for this stuff. I have to say, this year I think I see a bit of a lull compared to previous years...I think everyone's budgets are getting tighter and tighter, but anyway...we all feel your pain guy. If you made it through the day without going 1-2k over your alloted calories for the day, you're a trooper in my book! I couldn't have said no.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My office has it's own "snack drawer," which is filled with chocolate, chocolate peanut butter, poptarts, and other fatty foods that tempt the heck out of me! It's killer. Most days I do really well and avoid the drawer. But that's not always the case! :grumble:
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky my school is broke: we have a staff meeting Friday with a required "working lunch"...and we're all brown bagging it (as usual.)

Go, budget shortfalls! Woot!
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I was just about to write a post about this! Seems like every other day someone has brought some dougnuts or sweets for the whole office and leaves them in the kitchen. Usually I can resist by just not going to the kitchet (except for the odd krispy kreme as a treat) but today my boss bought me 4 bags a haribo to replace the ones people used to keep stealing from my desk! I'm trying to kick the haribo habit so this has not helped at all! :sad: