Getting in all calories w/o going over on carbs, sugar, etc

Options
valbar61
valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
How can I get in enought calories without going over on carbs, sodium, sugar, fat, etc?

Everyday I struggle to get in my 1200 calories because I am trying to stay under on other settings.

Replies

• samantha_goodman
    Options
    I struggle with this too and I hope someone has the answers
  • caroay
    caroay Posts: 6
    Options
    Same thing here... I have noticed that when I work out, I get some of those back, but then if I eat back my calories, I am over in the other ones! We need help from more experienced members!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Most important thing, first and foremost, is staying within your calorie goal. (not under it; meeting it) Then you can tweak your diet to meet your protein/carb/fat goals. But, chances are, you may have to adjust those goals to meet your personal needs.
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    I am on a lower carb way of living and I also choose to keep my sodium under 1500mg. I have found that the most important thing for me is that I cook the majority of my food at home. This helps me to measure every single thing I put into my mouth. I use the food scale and use exact portion size, as well as use measuring spoons and cups. I don't allow any room for the guessing game. I also pre-plan ALL of my meals the night before and input them into the food diary. If I go over my alloted numbers I will either delete an item or alter the portion size or the recipe. This has helped me to remain very focused and I've also experimented with different seasonings and spices. I have found that a great no sodium marinade is by Ken's Steakhouse No Sodium Marinade in Honey Garlic and also Lemon Pepper. They have a wonderful flavor and can be used on anything from veggies to meat, etc. I also cook my meat for the week and freeze it, so it only leaves my planning for side dishes to go along with it.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Adding....
    The sugar goal is really meant to help you monitor your intake of refined sugars. You do still have to make sure to not eat too much of any type of sugar. But, if you exceed your sugar because you ate 2 pieces of fruit in a day, that's perfectly fine. If all your sugar comes from prepackaged foods (ice cream bars, candy, etc), that's when you really want to make sure to stay under that sugar goal.

Your only going to stay under 1500mg of sodium of you limit your intake of processed foods. (anything prepackaged, frozen meals, etc).
  • valbar61
    Options
    I am on a lower carb way of living and I also choose to keep my sodium under 1500mg. I have found that the most important thing for me is that I cook the majority of my food at home. This helps me to measure every single thing I put into my mouth. I use the food scale and use exact portion size, as well as use measuring spoons and cups. I don't allow any room for the guessing game. I also pre-plan ALL of my meals the night before and input them into the food diary. If I go over my alloted numbers I will either delete an item or alter the portion size or the recipe. This has helped me to remain very focused and I've also experimented with different seasonings and spices. I have found that a great no sodium marinade is by Ken's Steakhouse No Sodium Marinade in Honey Garlic and also Lemon Pepper. They have a wonderful flavor and can be used on anything from veggies to meat, etc. I also cook my meat for the week and freeze it, so it only leaves my planning for side dishes to go along with it.
    I have been very good able measuring, weighing, etc. I also have tried to plan ahead. I will take the advice of cutting out prepackaged meals. Thanks for the advice!
  • valbar61
    Options
    Adding....
    The sugar goal is really meant to help you monitor your intake of refined sugars. You do still have to make sure to not eat too much of any type of sugar. But, if you exceed your sugar because you ate 2 pieces of fruit in a day, that's perfectly fine. If all your sugar comes from prepackaged foods (ice cream bars, candy, etc), that's when you really want to make sure to stay under that sugar goal.

Your only going to stay under 1500mg of sodium of you limit your intake of processed foods. (anything prepackaged, frozen meals, etc).

Thanks for the advice. Going to try to cut out prepackaged meals.