more calories on days i work out ??

lisamarie20071
lisamarie20071 Posts: 1
edited September 25 in Introduce Yourself
this is my 1st week using this tool. it seems on the days i work out it is telling me to eat more than my calories allotted for the day. is that rite??? i thought the goal was to burn the calories im supposed to be eating for the day !! not eating more !!

Replies

• cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    teh calories it suggests you eat will get burned up through normal daily activity is you set your "activity level" appropriatly. when you exercise, it adds more calories because your burning more calories than you would have normally. at the end of the day, if you eat all your calories allotted, they all get used up. even when you eat more after exercise.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    That is a constant debate on here and there are a ton of threads about it if you search the forums. Here are my thoughts on it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new Hopefully, that will help clear some things up for you. Good luck!!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    When you select how many pounds a week you want to lose it calculates that deficit for you. That number assumes you are not working out unless you changed it. So any workout you do will give you more calories to eat in a day. If you changed the default and set it to active or something other than sedentary you should not enter exercise as you are double counting exercise calories that way.
  • By counting your calories, you're already eating less than normal. Exercise has added health benefits, AND allows you to eat more. You can't be too far under your allotted calories or your body will go into "starvation mode" and store more fat.
  • dieselveins
    dieselveins Posts: 65 Member
    That's entirely up to you.. some people eat back there workout calories but most don't.. I myself I don't unless I burn double my non workout calories. If you do eat any of your calories back I recommend not to much, I actually recommend not doing that. But if you do don't go overboard, I've seen and know a few ppl who actually eat all there workout calories and yet wonder why they don't lose anything.. you're more then welcome to add me if you like.
This discussion has been closed.