New-college student looking to shed the pounds

Options
Hi there,

I'm a 21 yr old female who has struggled with weight since middle school. As I am finishing my undergraduate degree, I have found that I have gained more weight and exercise even less. I need to make a change! It's hard finding time to exercise when I sit all day between my desk job and classes and internship (where I mostly sit and observe). By the time the day is through, I am hungry and tired. I usually eat large portions and snack while trying to find energy to get through my school work. I need to change because I I don't put an end to this lifestyle now, it will only get worse! I'll need all the support I can get! Looking to drop 40 pounds...Hope I can do it...

Replies

• lizvanb
    lizvanb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a college student too! Sending a friend request now! :)
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can do it - stay positive and focused!
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    Hey! I'm a student as well. I'd be happy to lend some support!
  • adurk
    adurk Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a college student too! Welcome, good luck with everything! :]
  • siduri
    siduri Posts: 5
    Options
    I found it much more challenging to take care of myself when I was an undergrad. Actually, it's the period when I put on most of my weight. Stress eating, lack of exercise, skipping meals. My metabolism was completely out of whack. I was a commuter at the time and would always go without eating until 5:30-6pm when I got home because of the stress and workload, and not taking the time throughout the day to take care of myself. There were a handful of times that I actually ate lunch during school hours at that time.

Now I'm back at another school studying another area to supplement my degree, and I've found myself feeling much better, and much more energized, because I pack a diversified lunch. When I have time, I even get creative with Japanese bento-style lunches. I even look forward to eating it the next day because it's so delicious. It brings a whole new satisfaction to the day.

One key to making my on-the-go lunches is having a nice, insulated, lunch bag with one of those freeze/heat packs. They have really stylish ones available. This means I won't have to bank on having a fridge available for stuff that needs to stay cold. Warm yogurt ain't so great. :D

If you're living on campus, you might find it a bit more challenging to count the stuff at the cafeteria unless they provide nutritional information. Personally, I enjoy packing my lunches, for one it's more predictable and easier to count--I can weigh things with more accuracy--but mostly, because I'm a variety kinda girl when it comes to my food. I love lots of little portions of different things.

I've had a huge success rate with either eating food I prepare at home, or eating foods at a chain with available nutritional information.
  • AccioPancakes
    Options
    I just finished school. I had horrible habits while in University. I was so busy all the time that I only ever ate while studying/writing papers/etc, so later whenever I tried to read I'd want to be eating. If you're snacking while studying, try drinking some water first and wait a few minutes before giving in to the food craving. And if/when you do, try to make it veggies, carrot sticks/peppers/cucumber/etc, that way you're still being healthy. It takes time to break the habits so don't get too down on yourself as you're getting started. You can do it!
  • Amary06
    Amary06 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Me too! Good luck!
  • claremariev
    Options
    Wow, talk about a supportive community! I'm so excited now! I'm setting a goal for myself this week. I'm going to make my typical size portions a bit smaller. When the weekend gets here, I'm heading out to get Wii Zumba! Any reviews on this? Or should I get 30 day shred?
  • chelsea32291
    Options
    Hi there and welcome! :) I'm also a college student! Good luck with everything!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm a junior in college and looking to about the same amount of weight! Let's be friends :)
  • shadowgirl0907
    Options
    I'm in college too.... The Wii Zumba is good.... but nothing beats taking a actual Zumba class. I'm a member of Gold's Gym... and my membership includes free classes.... (All the classes that are offered are totally free.... Zumba, Cycling, Water Aerobics... etc.) Also, it's best if you partner up with a buddy... that has similar weight loss goals... so you can hold each other accountable. Good Luck to ya.... and keep us updated... =)
  • Renayz
    Renayz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've not tried either of these workouts but if you look them up in search I'm sure you'll find great info. :smile: Have a great week!!
  • ameaston22
    Options
    I'm a junior in college and believe me - i know what you're going through! i have put on so much weight since being in school. it's hard not too. school cafeterias seem to only dish up unhealthy food and vending machines are everywhere at college campuses! i can purchase a soda and candy bar in every hallway, but cannot find a bag of carrots anywhere! i had to start bringing snacks from home (oranges, bananas, protein bars) so i would get through the day. also, i had to stop eating sweets when studying. i noticed that i would put a little bowl of sweets on my desk while studying and it would be gone within minutes. good luck!!!