Trader Joe's/Whole Foods Market

Options
2»

Replies

• GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    TJ's has frozen paneer tikka masala. Each box is 270 calories and it is delicious! I eat it for lunch a lot during the week at work and can't believe I'm only eating 270 calories. Their chicken tikka is good too. If you like spicy, their lamb vindaloo is good, as well as their paneer saag. Mmmm, I love Indian food if you can't tell. I think TJ's frozen variety is almost as good as you would get in most restaurants.

I don't think it is fair to call WF expensive. Yes, if you want to buy specialty foods they will be expensive no matter where you shop. But its nice to have variety sometimes and try some new things (like bison, homemade soap, flavored agave nectar... etc). I love their beer variety too. Check out Indian Wells Valley Brewing Company's mojave gold and mojave red!!! Its a small brewery owned by one of my high school teachers. I still can't believe WF carries them, they're tiny!! (/ advertisement) The store brand, "365", is really great and not expensive at all. I think the quality of products that they have available are often worth the price but yes, for a simple shopping trip I'd often choose TJ's.
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    Trader Joes has bags of frozen pomagranite seeds! Yummy!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Better'N Peanut Butter is my favorite product...they have it around here at both places. I like it better than peanut butter and it has half the calories and fat!
  • silvergrace
    Options
    I LOVE TJs! Everything there tastes amazing. I especially love their frozen meals. Calorie controlled, very authentic tasting, and better than most restaurants i've been to. Some of my favorites are: butter chicken, all their frozen indian meals, eggplant parmesan, thai veggie dumplings(live off of these), plantain chips(one of the best things i've ever eaten), and apple blossom(perfectly little servings of apple pie, the crust is so good).
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My two favorite stores...

I wish people would stop calling whole foods "whole paycheck" and too expensive. What it really is we got too used to cheap junk. Veggies and fruits picked before ripening, farmed fish, hormone and antibiotic injected meat. Many of the organic items at trader joes are similarly priced to whole foods. I think it's worth paying extra to have fresh high quality organic foods that contribute to my health.

Rant aside, my fave item from whole foods are: any organic fruit/veggie, fresh poultry, grass fed meats and fish, basmati rice, black mission figs, tofu shirataki noodles (really low calorie), galeo's salad dressing (also low calorie), fresh ground almond butter, gluten-free items, and the hot food bar.

At trader joes I love the precooked chicken, brown rice, hummus, frozen wild fish, and Valencia peanut butter (so yum!). There are also some great chips and chocolates that shouldn't be mentioned on a weight loss forum :blushing:
  • BonitaAppleBomb87
    Options
    I'm in love with Trader Joes they have everything that you would want and need... They're very affordable I buy all my fruits and veggies from them as well as they're frozen foods marinaes and salad dressings.. I'm addicted I'll be moving to Florida soon I don't know what I'm going to do once I move because from my understanding they don't have a " trader joes " down there :-l So I hope they have places that's better or close....
  • maryhamilton65
    Options
    I love the "tahini free" hummus...you save a few calories by omitting the tahini. The Trader Joes low fat Spinach Pie (I think it is 240 cal) is a staple in my diet. Also the Italian Spiced chicken sausage cooked up with TJ's frozen roasted peppers/onions is something my whole family loves.
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    well well, Trader joe's is on my list today!!!:love:
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Trader Joe's and every time I go I get:

organic non-fat milk, organic low-fat vanilla yogurt, organic non-fat vanilla greek yogurt, bran flakes (cereal), pecan praline granola, mixed berries (for smoothies and my cereal), orange flavored cranberries (for my oatmeal), and spicy sweet walnuts for snacks. I also love the lite cheddar cheese sticks for snacks as well.

I also get the chocolate cat cookies for people for when I want a sweet snack. Trader Joe's also has a great selection of fresh organic fruits and veggies as well as frozen. I try to eat organically as much as possible.

I have a whole foods down the street from me, but I don't shop there much as I have found it to be very expensive. I did not add to the list the stuff I buy for my 8-year-old (he has his own list of must haves each time I go-lol) but as you can see I buy most items from TJ's.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods also carry's Amy's organic frozen meals. Most are pretty calorie-laden, but there are a couple labelled "Light & Lean" and they are DELICIOUS...waay better than any other low-cal frozen meals I have tasted. This week I had a black bean tamale and a spinach lasagne, way under 400 cals.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I shop at both places weekly...

I get Wellshire Farms uncured peppered turkey bacon @ Whole Foods because recently TJs only sells it in 8 oz pkg for same price as WFs sells the 12 oz...
    every week I get a loaf of quinoa bread at Trader Joes...WFs has GREAT breads but doesn't have quinoa...

I buy a lot of Heath & beauty products at WF's....though I buy toothpaste at TJ's

if you sign up for WF's FB page, not just the national store but the page for your local store, they will give you the weekly special and also have some sales only announced on FB

I love getting fresh flowers for my dinner table from TJs

WFs being a bigger store will naturally have bigger selections.... and if you happen to live in a state that allows wine to be sold at grocery stores, you must buy a few bottles of 2 buck chuck from TJs
  • humpalc
    humpalc Posts: 140
    Options
    There is a trader joe's about 45 minutes from me - is it sad that I'm pumped to go there on my spring break next week? Thanks everyone, I just made a killer list :)
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Jealous, I wish Trader Joes where in Colorado.
    I prefer Sun Flower Market or Sprouts over Whole-Paycheck