Pre-made/ 'tv dinners' that are filling

Options
I like the lean cuisine, smart choice, healthy choice etc microwave meals, to eat for lunches. (so i'm not tempted to eat mac and cheese with my kids!)

My issue is, is that some of them are so small and not filling at all.

Anyone tried different ones and found some that are 'better'/more filling than others?

I'd like to keep it under 300 calories.

thanks!!

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There is none that I know of. You should really watch which ones you pick. The "tv dinner ones" are often really high in calories. The Lean cusine are normally lower cal but high in sodium and other bad things which allow them to be low cal.
  • Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love the Lean Cuisine pizzas and I think they're really filling, especially if you pair it with a light salad or some broccoli.

Also - for breakfast or a snack I love the Smart Ones Breakfast Sandwiches with Canadian Bacon...it's only 210 calories and keeps you full for awhile.
  • AccioPancakes
    Options
    One of my favourites is the lean cuisine spaghetti in herb sauce with veggies. I have no idea any of the nutritional info for it, though, because it's been a long time. I don't know where you live, but if you have access to President's Choice products, my favourite of the blue menu ones are the mac and cheese and chicken tikka masalla (although I probably didn't spell that right, but it's basically chicken with curry on rice). It's been awhile since I've had those ones as well.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The Healthy Choice Cafe Steamer brand have some great meals between 200-300 calories per meal. My favorite one is the Chicken Pad Thai. Very good meals!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the Healthy choice meals because they are pretty filling, especially the meat ones. (pot roast, fajita meat...etc) I lost plenty of weight from eating those meals.
  • Gymrat13
    Gymrat13 Posts: 4
    Options
    Try Kashi brand frozen meals!! Many contain whole grain and lots of vegetables. Sodium is lower, too.
    Chicken Florentine, Lemongrass Coconut Chicken, Pasta Pesto Primavera..and several others.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    green giant does microwavable veggies in sauce that are super tasty, low cal, high fiber and easy to heat up:

http://www.greengiant.com/pages/products.aspx

not exactly what you're asking for. but a quick, easy and affordable option.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    In the package they do look very small. I always put mine on a plate, it just seems better that way. Plus if you use a smaller plate you can see that it is a pretty generous serving size. I think if you do that you will honestly feel more full. Maybe your brain is tricking you no. Or you can just do HUGE salads with lean meat and a light dressing. You can eat tons of lettuce and veg and be totally fine on cals. plus fruit is always good on salad, apples and crasins-yummy.
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    I've seen those steamed veggie bags but haven't tried them, I'll have to look at them!

True...the tray looks so empty after the food is heated...transferring it to a small plate is a great idea!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating processed foods like that and neither should your kids. My kids don't eat anything I wouldn't eat, I want them to be just as healthy as I am and that means not feeding them any junk.

Instead of looking for frozen meals, why don't you find a cookbook or a some websites that have healthy recipes you can make yourself? Cooking really isn't all that time consuming and it's not difficult. Plus, knowing exactly what's in your food will make you much, much healthier!

Also, you shouldn't be microwaving anything in plastic. All plastics leach out chemicals when microwaved and it's incredibly toxic!
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    Ditto on the Lean Cuisine Pizzas, delicious!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i love the lean cuisine grilled sandwich things!
  • Gymrat13
    Gymrat13 Posts: 4
    Options
    Others to try are Amy's brand of vegetarian meals. THey have some fantastic Indian dishes & the Tamale w roasted vegetables is a favorite!
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a healthy microwave dinner. If you truley wanna loose weight you need to cook for yourself. You also need to eat 6 meals a day. I do this and they are all small but they keep me full tell my next meal.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    You also need to eat 6 meals a day.

You can't say that as a blanket statement, no one *needs* to eat 6 meals a day. I'm doing fine eating 3 meals a day and rarely snack. Bottom line: do whatever works for you, your body, and your schedule.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

You can't say that as a blanket statement, no one *needs* to eat 6 meals a day. I'm doing fine eating 3 meals a day and rarely snack. Bottom line: do whatever works for you, your body, and your schedule.
    [/quote]

6 meals is better for you then three. Most people that eat three eat alot more in there meals and get hungery before there next meal. If you have 6 meals your metabolism works harder and burns more cals than if you just ate 3.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try paring them with Low carb veggies or a salad. Also have a cup of veggie broth before eating them. Someone already suggesting it , putting them on a plate also helps. Just know that as you start to lose weight your stomach will also shrink and you'll be able to get full faster. Good luck.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own tv dinners. When I do this, I do the cooking on the weekends and then package them into individual servings an put a couple in the refridgerator and the rest in the freezer. Then you can pull out one or two at a time and out in the fridge or pull one out when you leave for work if you don't have a fridge and it will be mostly thawed by lunch.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I really think it’s ineffective to get preachy about what someone “should” and “shouldn’t” be eating. The OP has asked for advice on finding a a more filling pre-made meal. It’s a representation of where she is in this process. Sharing knowledge about the big nutritional and health downsides of eating these foods is one thing, but wagging fingers and doling out the shoulds and shouldn’ts is not productive.

What I would say to the OP, is that the fact that you are not getting full on these meals is an opportunity to investigate the answer to a different question. What can eat that will be easy to prepare, make me feel full, and not take me over my daily calories? The answer to that question is a TON more food than you can get in a microwavable tray.
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some great frozen Indian food. I love the paneer tikka masala... 330 calories and very filling.