panic attacks anyone?

Options
I was wondering if anyone suffered from panic attacks? I was also wondering if they can be influenced by diet? I had a bad panic attack earlier today. :( I havent' had one like tha tin quite a while.

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    a) yes
    b) it had never occurred to me to think they might be.
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have them and have not had one in along time until about 3 weeks ago was a bad one Not sure if being tired or what trigged it u would think it would relax u but not sure not had any since though hate them with a passion sure u do too
  • BirdsofaFeather
    BirdsofaFeather Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I noticed anxiety after exercise when I first started (I am typically an anxious person). The adrenaline from working out made me feel like I had 10 cups of coffee. Took about two weeks of solid exercise for my body to get over it. Now, I'm mentally healthier than I've ever been!
  • ImBabyBunny
    Options
    I have panic attacks way to much! I have actually wondered myself if they can be prevented/ helped through diet. I know that when I am having an attack drinking something usually helps me calm down. Sorry you had to go through that though, they are a real BIG pain. Hope your ok! :)
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yes. I've never thought they were connected to diet, rather the fact that I've had anxiety issues in the past. My doc prescribed me some Xanax and it works beautifully...sometimes it helps just knowing I have something to take if I need it, you know?
  • alazarus
    alazarus Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Excess caffeine might play a role-- when I have too much it makes me feel jittery and increases my feelings of anxiety if I have something to be anxious about.
  • crjugrl
    crjugrl Posts: 172
    Options
    I stopped diet and exercise for a few months because of panic attacks. I went to the doctor because I was also having heart palpitations. They said that it was due to my schedule, not the diet and exercise alone. I was working 2 jobs and going to school full time, on top of the normal cooking and cleaning and errands everyone has to do. Now I'm down to one job, still in school, and I haven't had any since I started my diet back up a week ago. If it's causing added stress, maybe take a look at your schedule and see if there's any way you can lighten the load. You can also get tips from your doctor, just to be safe. I feel for you though, they are very uncomfortable and a little scary. Take care of yourself and don't push yourself too far. It's not good for you. *hugs* :flowerforyou:
  • rebrafe
    rebrafe Posts: 64
    Options
    I have experienced panic attacks in the past, and always contributed them to lack of sleep and stress. However - lately I have been reading about the effects of carbs on mood and learned that an overabundance of simple carbs in the diet have been linked to depression. Also, when I eat alot of carbs and sugar, my ADD is really bad. I think there is a possibility that there could be a correlation, but I am just not sure with what food. I am very intrigued to find out though. Hope somebody knows on here!
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I used to have them when I was finally able to relax after a very stressful time, like completing a deadline. Caffeine definitely triggers panic attacks, so its something I still tend to avoid. From what I can remember, anxiety disorders can exhibit some brain chemistry similar to depression. I only say that because perhaps foods that are good for preventing/lessening depression may also be good for preventing panic attacks. Some foods that are good for preventing depression/anxiety include healthy fats found in fish, nuts, etc; fruits; vegetables; and a generally healthy diet. I know that excessive simple sugars can possibly increase symptoms. Maybe someone else can give a better answer since these are things I've heard from health magazines and websites, so they may not be the most valid suggestions, but they can't hurt either!
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I struggled with panic attacks a few years back. I've struggled with anxiety for a long time - it runs in my family. Other than genetic predispositions, other factors can contribute to panic attacks: stress (probably the biggest culprit), history of anxiety, lack of sleep, poor diet, etc.) I still take medicine for my anxiety, but through exercise and healthy eating/lifestyle habits, it's not as bad as it used to be. Panic attacks are terrible for anyone to go through, so I can empathize with you. I'm sorry you're dealing with that right now. I hope and pray it gets better for you - try your best to stay positive and think positively in spite of these episodes. They can be crippling, but they won't last forever. The best thing to do to get your mind off of it is to try to keep your mind busy with other activities (i.e. - hobbies that you enjoy, talking to family/friends who are supportive, go for a walk, the list goes on and on). I have to remind myself of that constantly. Feel free to add me as a friend on here if you ever want to talk. I wish you the best of luck with your fitness journey!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I don't know about diet but they DEFINITELY are less of a problem when I'm getting enough exercise.
  • melruthtamar
    melruthtamar Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As someone who has been through various bad reactions to food, vitamins, etc... I must say YES!! Your diet can greatly influence anxiety and stress. One thing I went through was dehydration, caused by my lowered potassium, due to my diet and another vitamin/med I was on.

I became depressed and anxious. Once I began getting hydrated and got off the other meds and such it went away.
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Excess caffeine might play a role-- when I have too much it makes me feel jittery and increases my feelings of anxiety if I have something to be anxious about.

I agree with you - I've completely cur out caffeine because it can exacerbate your anxiety. Cut it out of your diet or keep it to a strict minimum if you can.
  • blessedwith3boys
    blessedwith3boys Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll read these replies more carefully tomorrow after I hopefully get some sleep. Just to clarify, I have not had a panic attack in a long time like maybe months. Tonight I had to give my son and mom a ride to and from school and while driving is when I had this panic attack. Driving is the worst time to have them in my opinion. Hopefully today will be better.
  • r99samigrl
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes food can trigger panic attacks. I have colitis and have struggled w/ repeated bowel infections in the past which led to frequent panic attacks related to food. I was prescribed Xanax. It can be an uphill battle, but try to keep a diary of "triggers" or things that may have caused the panic attack. You may see a pattern and be able to avoid those things in the future. Good luck!
  • JoinerMaus
    Options

I agree. Mine are always worse when I have too much caffiene. I have noticed too much sugar does the same thing.

I also do much better when I get plenty of sleep and don't get too far off of my schedule. (i.e. getting up and going to bed around the same time)
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I had them when driving too!!! I only get a couple each year, but for some reason, they would always come about when I was driving on the highway...which then makes me afraid to drive on the highway for fear of having another one or to endanger myself or other people if I have another one. I guess maybe the quiet time or mindlessness of driving allowed my mind to kind of ramp up or something. Good luck with everything!
  • mindy71183
    Options
    YES! I them once or twice a week last year. It was horrible. Looking back, I wasn't getting enough sleep and my diet was horrible. I haven't had one in a few months (thank goodness!). They are the worst feeling in the world and sometimes I felt as if I was crazy by having them.