Do you grade peoples buggy?

Options
tmdugger
tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
So tonight I was at walmart (ugh but my unintentional nap ran me past when my fave grocer closed) and buying food was a major must do. I found myself peeking at others carts and totally not judging the person but giving a letter grade for nutritional value in the cart. It was my entertainment for the night.

Not to give myself to much credit...I graded my own cart at a B. Depending on how clean you eat mine might have even been a C because I'm not giving up sugar free pudding and the occasional 100 cal snack pack.

But I found myself looking at the sodium, fat, and carb to protien ratio before buying. This was not a conscious thing, just a glance put back, or ooh thats good.

I also tonight consciously bought *fresh* green beans and mushrooms because I knew the canned were loaded with sodium and bought frozen spinach for the same reason.

So yeah I think this has invaded my mindset and is becoming a lifestyle. The people I saw with *F* carts...little debbies, fruit punch (w/ no juice), prepackaged muffins, white bread, fried chicken, the loaded with sugar yogurt, 5 packages of lunch meat, etc....I wasn't judging the person like omg how could you do that to your body, but I pitied them because just like me a little while ago. They have *NO CLUE* what they're putting in their body and don't really understand why they don't feel well and then crave more junk food.

Admittedly I'm still learning and I frequently still go over sodium (what I'm turning my focus to now that I got cals down), but I feel like I'm empowered now, because I know what to feed my body to get the performance I want, and I know simple substitutions that will make the things I love better for me without giving up my life. Like today my college had free pizza. I allowed myself two slices, but I steered straight for the thin crust w/ just cheese to avoid the super caloric and salty meat.

Replies

• i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    *phew*
    So i'm not the only one who does it.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't even look, because I know I'll be jealous and want their cart of food instead. :-)
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I don't grade or judge, but I have noticed that I notice more.

Odd isn't it? In reality, what business is it of ours what other people choose to eat? And yet.........

I'll tell you what I WILL judge on... is when I see a toddler or young child with the person with the King Cola (or whatever), twinkies, frozen pizzas, ice cream, lunchables, etc. While they're yellin' at one to be quiet (probably hopped up on sugar & caffeine!) another's chuggin' a 20 oz soda with chocolate smeared on his/her face! These people I want to smack. Adults have choice.. children don't.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I do notice more than I used to. I realized last week at the grocery store how ingrained buying wheat bread has been for me (I bought white sub rolls but was annoyed that I couldn't find wheat). I'm not even sure I would like white bread now! I like the fact that a "bad" grocery cart for me now includes flavored yogurt, diet soda and CapriSun Roarin' Water (splurge for the 5 year old). More often, there is tons of fresh or frozen veggies, lean meat, whole wheat bread, and lowfat dairy.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I like to spy a little in visibly fit looking peoples baskets mostly. I was a fat person pushing a cart of junk at one time, I know whats in there lol
  • kikibruce
    kikibruce Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And sodas! i was behind someone the other day who broke like 6 2 ltr bottles out of their cart. I have my occasional diet soda but i have found myself drinking more and more water. I have almost emptied a large bottle of lemon juice from drinking so much water.
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    i have noticed that i notice myself paying more attention to the nutritional facts and changing not necesarily what i get but maybe a healthier version of it. I do have a few things i'm taking time to give up ex. sweet tea. im southern and it runs in my viens. i look at other peoples buggies and wonder if they really know what they are getting cause some of the healthy stuff tastes just as good if not better knowing its not gonna kill me quicker.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I've found that I do that now, as I stand in line at Costco with my fresh meat and a variety of vegetables and fruit. The amazing part is that I'm not craving the empty calorie/high sodium stuff in other people's carts. I could still stand to eat it, but I can leave it on the store shelves so it doesn't tempt me at home.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I try not to....I would hate for someone to grade mine! My guy doesn't need to lose weight and I still buy him the chips and cookies to go in his lunch for work. He doesn't get white bread or lunchmeat though, he gets the whole grain breads and home cooked meats for his sandwiches. Or I will send left overs with him from meals home made over the weekend.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I try not to look but for different reasons. I fear someone is looking at mine and judging me with the healthier fare of stock in my cart, then thinking to themselves, "yeah, that gal definitely needs to watch what she eats!!"
    I just try to go in, get what's needed and get out without eye contact. Of course, I rarely get out without someone talking to me. Ugh! I hate that. I'm still quite shy and always get tongue-tied because I'm paranoid of people's glares and thoughts.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do tend to sneak a peek at other peoples carts, but I try not to judge.

Funny thing though is now I feel so gross buying junkfood, like sometimes hubby will ask me to pick him up a bag of chips and a pop or whatever and I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo embarrassed I always make sure to tell the cashier something along the lines of "movie night and hubby needs his snacks"

I feel so proud when I'm buying fruit and veggies and my cart is loaded with healthy stuff.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    I always look. Its in my nature to be super nosy but I never say a word or give them a grade. It actually has a positive response for me. I look at what Im getting and I hope ppl will see that Im making healthy choices for my family because I care. Lead by example. Right?

Im not perfect and you'll find chicken nuggets in the freezer for my kids, but on the flip side they don't drink much juice or eat much junk food. There are no soda's, chips, candy, ice cream, cookies, donuts or sugar cereals in my house. My kids still ask before they grab a snack and love water. I do my best to feed them good foods and its a treat to have gum or 1 small candy.

I tell them that fast food and junk food is bad for you. Sure we want to smack those moms who give their 2 yr old soda but legally we can't. just make the effort to be better than that and educate those who want it.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I actually do notice these things. I was at Stater Brothers one day since they have great deals on wild-caught salmon. I'm very picky about grocery stores and only go there for a few things. A woman in line ahead of me who was stick-thin (no muscle, all skin and bones) was placing her items on the conveyor belt and I couldn't help but look. She bought 15 Lean Cuisines (all processed and loaded with sodium), 10 Yoplait Lights (fortified with aspartame), 5 Atkins bars (more aspartame), and a pack of Slim-Fast (vanilla-flavored stabilizers, preservatives, and chemicals in a can). I shuddered. No fresh fruits, veggies, or meats. All processed foods.

I'll admit, when I first started trying the diet/exercise thing, I bought a lot of the same products. I then started to become educated on certain foods and do my best to eat more natural foods. I just had a navel orange for a snack, when in the beginning, I would've eaten a 100-calorie pack of cookies. I don't do this to myself. It makes me sad when I see people walking around in Wal-Mart or other big-box grocery stores toting these Franken-foods in their carts. Really sad. I wish the world would wake up and get out of this lull and quit being processed people.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think I only notice if the items seem out of character to the person buying them. True story; my sister and I once ran into our long-time family doctor in the supermarket and his shopping cart was FULL of assorted liquor and specialty beers. It was Christmas time so I'm sure they were either gifts or for a holiday party but we still had to stop him and harrass him a little. LOL.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Guilty! And if they have good stuff I sometimes have want to give them a secret handshake or headnod or something. When I see people stocking up on bad stuff I think back to how I used to be so completely clueless about how to shop for food. No secret handshake for them.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Guilty! And if they have good stuff I sometimes have want to give them a secret handshake or headnod or something. When I see people stocking up on bad stuff I think back to how I used to be so completely clueless about how to shop for food. No secret handshake for them.

I can so see you handing out buttons to new members of the club! lol
  • amberlineilene
    Options
    I'm rather chubby , I have always felt embarrassed when buying junk food. I feel like people look at me and think ''Oh. No wonder'' (Since MFP and my weight loss journey) I tend to make healthier choices. I do find myself glancing at super skinny guys n gals-- wt carts of junk and think..''Whoa how do they do that!?, If I ate like that all the time I'd weigh 250 lbs in 3 months flat!''
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I try not to look but for different reasons. I fear someone is looking at mine and judging me with the healthier fare of stock in my cart, then thinking to themselves, "yeah, that gal definitely needs to watch what she eats!!"
    This is me. I don't pay attention to what others eat. I would hope others wouldn't be judging me on what I have in my cart.
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do it all the time. I think the food people eat says a lot about what they're like as a person. Not in any kind of deep or meaningful way, but I like to think it tells at least a little of their story.

It's kind of like looking at what other people wear, or how they carry themselves...

It's completely shallow of me, but I keep it to myself so no harm done I guess.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    I do it, I like to see what others like and buy, and I have had somebody standing infront of me in line, turn around look at my cart and tell me how great my cart looked she told me it was the most colorful cart she has ever seen. lol, and I was so proud.