How often should you weight yourself?

Options
Daily? Weekly? Bi-Weekly?

(PS I meant "weigh" in the topic)

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    I was weighing myself daily and driving myself insane with the fluctuations. So I cut back to weekly and have been happy with that - takes away that stress from seeing the scale constantly going up and down. Now I know it's going to go down, just not sure how much each week!
  • SweetP88
    SweetP88 Posts: 79
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week (my day is Monday morning). I am kinda superstitious though....same scale...on the same spot of the floor....the same clothes!! LOL
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself Every morning, knowing that I will see a slight change each day. If I see any increase, it motivates me to work a little harder that day! I only record any weight change once a week however. :)
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Have been weighing myself too often in the past couple of weeks.

That measures one thing more important than my weight: my preoccupation with weighing in. And that's the part I should be more worried about addressing.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I like seeing the fluctuations because I know when I step on that scale the number might not be quite right. It eases my mind. And it helped get over the number obsession. What we see on the scale doesn't mean a whole lot.
    Diet and cardio exercise causes muscle mass loss and fat loss so we don't really know how much actual fat we are losing.
    And weight lifting can cause a slight increase the next morning due to fluid in the muscles. (and water and sodium). Heavy weight lifting can cause a scale increase due to building muscle.

My weight goes up a bit on the weekends. Then, through the week it drops back down and if there is a loss that week I will see it between Thursday and Saturday mornings.

I only log losses.
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I no longer fear the scale and I'm not obsessd either. Its just part of my normal routine like brushing my teeth or applying makeup. It gives me a chance to reflect on what I have been doing in terms of my diet and exercise and whether or not its working. It has also helped me understand my body better overall since I have noticed weight loss (and slight gain) patterns throughout each month.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I weigh everyday just so I know if maybe I need to kick it up or what. But I only write my weigh in's down on Tues. Then I can see from week to week how much ive lost.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates so much that if I waited for a weekly weigh in, it might be so disappointing I give up. I weigh myself daily to keep myself honest and record every time it goes down. For me, that seems to make it far less likely to go up again.
  • rwkem
    rwkem Posts: 35
    Options
    I weigh biweekly...I became obcessed with the scales and when I noticed an increase I would get discouraged...I also measure..I have seen more numbers move in my measurements than the scales!!!
  • Green_Eyed_Girl88
    Green_Eyed_Girl88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week (my day is Monday morning). I am kinda superstitious though....same scale...on the same spot of the floor....the same clothes!! LOL

lol.. Same here. I have the same exact routine each time I weigh myself and I cannot deviate from it ;)
  • katiemeridien
    Options
    I weigh myself every day.

Official weigh-in's on Mondays!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Through the week every day. Some times I skip a day or 2 though. I check-in when I weigh.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every day, buck naked. I only weigh in once a week though, on Saturdays. The daily scale checks help keep me focussed, but if I forget a day I don't worry about it :) Different habits work for different people it seems....
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I only record/weigh-in once per week - every Saturday morning.

However, I am a serial weigher. Sometimes I weigh every day (or twice a day), but this week I have only weighed once since Saturday. I don't get all bent out of shape about the number, whether it's high or low, because I know how my weight fluctuates constantly, my curiosity just gets the best of me!

But to answer your question - it's my personal opinion that we SHOULD only weigh once per week. I just can't seem to help myself.
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    I weigh myself once every 4 to 6 weeks.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I weigh in weekly, usually on Friday after class (and after I work out). I use the gym scale, since I don't have one at the moment, so I like to keep it consistent. I think that daily for me would be more counter-productive, because I would get discouraged if I slipped up for a day or so (say while studying for 3 midterms in 3 days, like this week, and not logging much gym time), so at least by the end of the week I know that a weigh-in in coming, and try to amp up the intensity if I need to.

But like most other posters have been saying, you should do what works for you. Try a few different things, and as long as you are consistent with the one you chose, you'll be good!
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to weigh myself at most once a week, maybe even biweekly. I also become obsessed with the number going down.
  • Kammii
    Kammii Posts: 4
    Options
    I just weight when i'm feeling confortable with. It can be weekly, daily even monthly (when I gain weight and don't have enough courage to weigh).

Just make shure you wheigh in the same scale with the same cloathes. And don't drink water or anything before you weigh.
  • Idahoheartmom
    Options
    once a week, in the morning, no clothes on (and put the scale away the rest of the week to not tempt myself)
  • lovelybomb
    Options
    Daily. In the mornings or right before I go to bed.

5727522.png