What is YOUR magic calorie burn number?

Options
I wonder whats my or is there a such thing as a "magic number" of calories to burn each day to achieve consistent weightloss. I saw someone post 7 days / 7000 calories and I was floored lol... Does anyone have a "calorie burn" goal each day or week and seen success monitoring that number?

Replies

• lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I try to burn 500 calories a day, I work out 6 days a week. I heard that to lose one pound you would have to burn at least 3500 calories so I try to burn at least 500 everytime I go.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I try to burn 350-500 per workout, 5-6 times a week - combining that with watching what I eat puts me on track for a 3500 calories per week deficit, for about a pound a week - I usually mess up on one or the other, though (eating out kills me), so it's usually more like a half pound per week, but that's the goal - when I do reach my exercise goals, my results are more consistent.
  • Tyva
    Tyva Posts: 34
    Options
    That sounds like a realistic number to start off with. Ima shoot for that and see how that works out. Thanks!
  • ChauncyMac
    Options
    I don't have a goal but I usually workout 4-5 days a week and burn over 1000 calories a workout. I do a lot of jogging and the elliptical machine. 500 calories a day is outstanding. My thing is as long was you are getting some exercise in, you are good in my book!!
  • Tyva
    Tyva Posts: 34
    Options
    thx cmac! Im thinking Ima start off @ 500 a day 5 days a week for about 2 weeks then push for 700 a day @ 7 days a week for a few weeks. I just gotta get my circuit together!
  • ChauncyMac
    Options
    No problem Tyva!! We all should be come friends and motivate each other! Positive encouragment aways helps!! :smile:
  • KristaPFT
    KristaPFT Posts: 63
    Options
    I go by how much weight I am wanting to lose. For example, you want to lose a lb that week...make sure that you have a deficit of 500 calories a day. This is the number left after working out and eating. So it might mean I have to workout harder one day if I consumed a little more calories than normal. It has really worked for me. I do little challenges like this all the time to see what works and what doesn't. I HATE math lol.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal but I usually workout 4-5 days a week and burn over 1000 calories a workout. I do a lot of jogging and the elliptical machine. 500 calories a day is outstanding. My thing is as long was you are getting some exercise in, you are good in my book!!

I agree - just get moving! I tried to get 500 in a day but found that realistically 400 was closer to what I can actually achieve. I'm short and am not overweight but I am at the top of the normal BMI range so that is why I'm here on MFP. Anyway, I think that's why I have a hard time burning those extra calories - the more you weigh, the more you burn. Today I did 50 of water aerobics and that only used 200 calories. When I cycle or do aerobics I can burn a bit more. Good luck!