That has HOW many calories?

Options
Was anyone else shocked by the amount of calories in their food when they began counting? I've been at this 2 1/2 months and I'm down almost 30 pounds and tonight for the first time since I began mfp I had some chocolate.

800 cals in ONE bar and 52g fat???! I can't believe i used to eat a couple bars a week. No wonder I have a weight problem! Lol

Replies

• nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    lol… i found out the hard way that a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream has well over my total daily recommended calories…
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    LOL...yes, it's amazing how many calories are in some foods that we all love :drinker:
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness, I can go a little while with out it but eventually i'll cave and have some. I've found a couple of lighter options,

namely only buying tiny bars like freddo frogs :) or milky ways (100cals a bar!!)
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I was shocked, but I do still have some chocolate now and then. Just a little at a time though, like a couple hershey's kisses.
  • Lauren_Whitney
    Lauren_Whitney Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know! I try to help my boyfriend watch what he eats and he just doesn't get how the calories add up! For lunch he will have two tortillas which are 210 calories each, with ham, turkey, and cheese, then a side of chips, and wash it down with about 16 ounces of milk! And he thinks that is a lean lunch. Are you kidding me? This is while I sit next to him and pick at my Greek yogurt with disdain.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    On my first day, I counted just as I regularly ate and the number is triple my BMR!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    When I actually started measuring and controlling portions I was kind of horrified at how much food I was eating...I'm eating half of it now, and actually very rarely feel hungry or deprived...I limit things that I know are unhealthy, but I haven't put anything off limits except for Chinese food...had it last weekend for a friend's birthday celebration and it made me sluggish and sick and wasn't worth the number of calories. Someone said "no wonder I have a weight problem"...with the huge calorie intake I have consistently had (and minimal exercise), no wonder I have one too!
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Oh, I know! I try to help my boyfriend watch what he eats and he just doesn't get how the calories add up! For lunch he will have two tortillas which are 210 calories each, with ham, turkey, and cheese, then a side of chips, and wash it down with about 16 ounces of milk! And he thinks that is a lean lunch. Are you kidding me? This is while I sit next to him and pick at my Greek yogurt with disdain.

I'm the same way with my boyfriend! I'm always trying to remind him as kindly as possible that he should really try to keep track of what he's eating, because I know he'd be shocked if he was recording it all like we do!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I go to the store now for food.. I tend to walk past people and look in their cart. Mine is full of healthy food, theirs is full of junk food. I kinda chuckle to myself a little bit.

I never really counted calories before. I've just always been active! That is up until about 2 years ago. I got real lazy.