Help...Late Night Snacker

Options
Im having such a Craving for Salty potato chips and bacon. It happens at night mostly when I start feeling like I want to snack. any suggestions for light calorie snack ideas that will cut the craving?? Also i am not hungry i just want to eat and I dont know how to stop that.

Replies

• lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    world gourmet products are natural and good for the sweet and salty taste u are looking ,for potato straws with bbq taste and apple cinnamon straws .they are 38 of them for 130 calories !!!!!
  • Delphi
    Delphi Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The Special K cracker chips hit that salty chip craving spot at only 110 calories for 27 of them.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    try brushing your teeth after dinner! It works, nothing tastes good after that!

Drink a couple of glasses of water and see if you are still hungry.

Maybe you need to look at your diet and see why you are so hungry craving food at night? Are you eating enough calories during the day and ESPECIALLY eating well at breakfast?
  • pebbles72
    pebbles72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Take up knitting, its a really good distraction :happy:
  • spoiledwifenikki
    Options
    I want chicken nuggets so bad right now so I decided to get on mfp that has been my distraction lately and it has been working
  • salad37
    salad37 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i drink loads of water, keeps me full, not that i am hungry, but try cut your carbs after 5pm, even though your under your calories for the day it will still be excess food that gets stored unless you will be burning that off, as its looked at as fuel for the body, if your body wont burn it it will store it . i dont eat carbs in evenings and it helps alot with weightloss,, xx
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    I eat pickles when I have that kind of craving. 5 calories....
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    I bought a bag of Naked Nuggets from Costco. For 7 pieces, it will cost you 110 calories. They are tastey if you spice them up right.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Make a deal with yourself that you'll only eat when you're hungry and you'll only eat at the table and not after a certain time, say 7pm. (Not that I subscibe to the idea that calories eaten after this time somehow stick to your thighs rather than get burned!)

Protein shakes me feel full to the point I don't want to eat. Unfortunately, eating at night is a habit that we must exercise self-control over. I totally get it. It's hard, but ultimately, you're the only one who can stop yourself doing it. As someone said, take up knitting, or some other hobby. It's what smokers do when they're trying to quit. A distraction is good for breaking any habit - and that's what evening snacking is - a habit.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I still succumb to the draw of the fridge some evenings - mainly when hubby is out and I'm bored, but everyone's allowed a treat!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    A dietician told me it is ok to eat up until two hours before you go to bed without any ill effects, If you want to munch, (and your within your calories) its ok to do it two hours before going to bed...
  • tunesntoons
    tunesntoons Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you. I have been tracking my calories for almost two years, but I still struggle with late night snacking. Make sure you are putting everything into your MFP account. It will depress you to see the numbers go up, which sometimes helps :)

Also, try some built-in moderation ideas. For example, get some 100 Calorie packs. They are still super tasty, but the cookies (or whatever you get) are small and require more work to eat, AND they are pre-measured in 100 Calorie Packs (hence the name :)

And you can get bags of your favorite snack (like cheese balls or Lays potato chips or whatever) and split them up into little sandwich bags of about 100 cals each. It's a pain in the butt, but it's worth it. Whatever you do, don't starve yourself or deprive yourself of too much. All things in MODERATION. Go ahead and have SOME of what you want, just try to stop at a reasonable place :) I used to sit and eat a whole tube of GS cookies, but now I can just eat one or two. But it took me a long time to get here...Good luck. You can do it!
  • rikkitikki
    rikkitikki Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    try brushing your teeth after dinner! It works, nothing tastes good after that!

Drink a couple of glasses of water and see if you are still hungry.

Maybe you need to look at your diet and see why you are so hungry craving food at night? Are you eating enough calories during the day and ESPECIALLY eating well at breakfast?

QFT. 2 glasses of water, then tooth brushing always puts me off late night cereal.
  • emilyrosedye
    Options
    I used to have such a habit at snacking at night time, usually right before bed. It would be crisps or toast or crackers with cheese on. I'm trying to kick the habit by making sure I have a bigger portion of dinner than I uaually have and eat at around 8. That usually keeps me full until I go to bed. Failing that if I'm feeling hungry I have a glass of tomato juice with a bit of lea 'n' perrins to spice it up a bit. The good thing about kicking the late night snacking habit is that by morning I'm feeling hungry and will tend to have a proper breakfast, and then a slightly later lunch and dinner, where as before I would snack at night and then start getting hunger pangs early which would mean and early lunch and then a snack in the afternoon.