Metabolism pills?

Options
I've been taking them, but if I stop taking them will my metabolism slow back to where it was before?

Replies

• tim_fitbuilt4life
    tim_fitbuilt4life Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What are they? How do they work?
  • Jenni268
    Jenni268 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Are they an OTC pill or are they a doctor prescribed thyroid pill for hyper- or hypo-thyroidism?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something that isn't good for your body. If they aren't something your doctor prescribed I would stop taking them ASAP and then you can deal with whatever happens.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just store brand metabolism pill. Meant to give your metabolism a kick start and help keep up your energy.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of metabolism pills... there are natural ways to do that. Adjusting your diet and exercise is better for your body to kick-start your metabolism naturally.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    I've never heard of metabolism pills... there are natural ways to do that. Adjusting your diet and exercise is better for your body to kick-start your metabolism naturally.

Good point, and I'm thinking I'm going to stop using them :P
  • Gargoyle69
    Gargoyle69 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    LOL, I thought you were talking about Clenbuterol and T3 (Cytomel), or even ephedra.

What you probably have is some form of caffeine or green tea if it is over the counter.
  • Gargoyle69
    Options
    Nice name Phil.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    It is likely your metabolism will return to its natural state (not a bad thing). I am biased, but as a nurse, I've seen the evil side of these over-the-counter things... heart attacks, strokes, even death. And the boost they provide is only temporary - for as long as you take the pill.

As mentioned by someone else, you can kick up your metabolism in safer and more natural ways. Eating frequent small meals, opting for the right combo of foods, consuming moderate amounts of caffeine, exercise, etc.

Best of luck. I TOTALLY support your thoughts on eliminating these asap.
    D.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nice name Phil.

Thank you, good sir. I like the number in your name, Gargoyle. Before I used my one and only option to change my username, I had a 609 in my former name [read: sixty, nine]. Hell, Gargoyle is a pretty wicked name to have too. Lol.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    eat 6 times a day and you wont need a metabolic boost after a week, :happy:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    Pure snake oil. They may, and I emphasize MAY, speed up a person's metabolism for a very short time, but the effect does not last and very quickly your body will adapt to them and they have no effect. Save your money and start doing Metabolic Resistance Training on HIIT which will raise your metabolism both by preserving and building muscle in the long run, but also through increased metabolism in the short run for up to 38 hours after a workout of that type is done.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    they are probably little more than caffine pills

I did look at your diary - if you log everything you eat you are seriously under eating ( or at least have been for the past few days ) and that will cause your metabolism to slow down . be careful
  • Gargoyle69
    Options
    they are probably little more than caffine pills
    Just store brand metabolism pill. Meant to give your metabolism a kick start and help keep up your energy.

Over-the-counter correct?

Herbal diet ingredients that have some benefits to a diet are Bitter Orange, Guarana, Chitosan, Ephedra, and Guar Gum.

Guarana being the only one to boost your heart rate (ie. metabolism) with caffeine and then there is Ephedra which actually works but has been abused and banned in the past. Bitter Orange is a newer ephedra substitute. Then there is Chitosan and Guar Gum block or attempt to block fat absorption, not metabolism boosters.

So there really is only Bitter orange out there other than a caffeine substitute, unless you want to go with Ephedra for raising your metabolism over-the-counter. Bitter orange not quite proven (yet).

** Caffeine and ephedra will eventually catch up with you, cease to be effective, and may cause health concerns over a long term of use. Just like others have stated.

Many prescription drugs that do work, but obviously use with caution and Dr approval. Probably not the proper forum to discuss them on due to the easy access to this site by younger individuals.
  • Gargoyle69
    Options
    Then there is alli, another fat blocker that works.

"The FDA has approved of Alli a nonprescriptive pill for weight loss by decreasing the absorption of fat by the intestines. The capsules are taken with meals up to three times a day. It is intended for use only with a reduced calorie, low-fat diet, and regular exercise. The side effects are diarrhea and gas with oil spotting."
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    I really appreciate the imput you guys(:

I think I'll trade the pills for a better diet and more tea haha.
    I'll try getting more energy from nuts or something, I don't like the way these pills are looking.
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    Boost your metabolism naturally:

* Strength training incorporated with cardio (interval training). Muscle confusion speeds your metabolism!

* Drink coffee. The caffeine helps boost your metabolism by 16% if you regularly enjoy a cup of joe.

* Drink green tea. Natural and tried-and-true way to boost your fat-burning potential. 3 cups a day - aim for it!

* Cayenne pepper supplements - spicy foods naturally speed your metabolism (it's that capsaicin!) and have many other health benefits. I take one of these every day and it gives me energy as well. Start in small amounts and have with milk or food - you can get heartburn if you aren't used to the heat!

* Choose low-fat yogurt, milk, string cheese for a snack. Calcium from these foods will help metabolize fat.

* Protein, protein, protein - ESPECIALLY if you're incorporating strength training into your workout routine. Aim for a high protein lunch - helps keep you away from that 3pm slump too!

* Eat breakfast EVERY DAY! - Lean protein, complex carbs will give you a great start, and jumpstart your metabolism for the day.

Hope this is helpful to you. :o)
  • Gargoyle69
    Options
    Completely agree....do it naturally.
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    i found they made me dizzy
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Options
    That was REALLY helpful(: