Eating out

Options
lisasp4
lisasp4 Posts: 73 Member
Going out for a meal with friends for the first time since I started this diet.

Any tips on what to eat/what to avoid?

I dont want to sit there crying into a salad!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    cream sauces are a no go.. obviously crunchy, fried, crisp... probably words that are a heads up haha.
    Oils and such are good.. but restaurants tend to over kill that too.. I'd say something you can deconstruct if need be. like a sandwich, or a salad, or just get a protein with vegetables and don't eat all of the protein :)
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    A rice pilaf or baked potato as your side instead of mashed potatoes or french fries. Steamed veggies.

Decide to bring half your food home at the beginning of the meal and ask for a container. Remember that a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. Try to order the smallest steak if you are going to have one, and if it is bigger that than, cut it into the portion you are going to eat right away. Some restaurants have light options and calorie counts. You could also ask them to make your food without butter.
  • perrytyra
    Options
    Also, I always order water. I like to save my calories for the food.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Going out for a meal with friends for the first time since I started this diet.

Any tips on what to eat/what to avoid?

I dont want to sit there crying into a salad!

What kind of restaurant are you going to, or haven't you decided yet? Also are you in the UK or somewhere else?

C
  • pwprice59
    pwprice59 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always look for a salad with fish, and put the dressing on the side, sometimes the Vinagarette is a little too sweet for me.
  • midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you know which restaurant you are going to ahead of time you can check their menu online to get an idea of what they serve. That way, you go in already having an idea of what you want. I find that when I go to restaurants everything looks so good that I don't necessarily make the best choices. Also, the website may give you an idea of how many calories are in a meal so there'll be no surprises when you come home to log. Enjoy your meal!
  • jeananndawson
    Options
    If you know where you are going ahead of time, look at their website menu most chains have the nutriton posted. If you get salad stick with a balasamic vinergrette dressing.
  • Suzy12
    Suzy12 Posts: 284
    Options
    Or order off the appetizer menu and ask that it be served when they serve the other meals.
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    I just experienced this "going out" with friends for the first time too... I decided that I should be prepared before I went, so i looked online at the menu and the nutritional facts... now I would have never picked what I did for dinner if I hadn't checked it out first... I was able to plan my menu ahead of time... and I was right on with my calorie intake (until my friend ordered desert for everyone to share)... the meal was very good even though I woudl not have selected it without looking at the nutritional info

Be Aware that most times the info provided is for the main part of the meal and does not include the sides, so you have to add them too...

Good Luck, and enjoy your dinner out!!!
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    I just experienced this "going out" with friends for the first time too... I decided that I should be prepared before I went, so i looked online at the menu and the nutritional facts... now I would have never picked what I did for dinner if I hadn't checked it out first... I was able to plan my menu ahead of time... and I was right on with my calorie intake (until my friend ordered desert for everyone to share)... the meal was very good even though I woudl not have selected it without looking at the nutritional info

Be Aware that most times the info provided is for the main part of the meal and does not include the sides, so you have to add them too...

• StefBeeney
    Options

• teenytinybikini
    teenytinybikini Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I tend to skip starter, order what I fancy from the main course menu & eat it really slowly, savouring every morsel, I then find I don't want pudding.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you can do your homework before going out, some places have tons of hidden calories. You just have to do some research first. You know what to eat, do your best and if you make a mistake remember it is just one meal. Also if you can try to go light for most of the day so you have a surplus for eating out.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    When I eat out I tend to just enjoy myself and worry about the calories later....
  • lisasp4
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys!

I ended up having the smallest steak possible with a few chips. Diet pepsi and no starter or pudding.

Still ended up just below my calorie limit for the day so very pleased!

Next time I will plan ahead so it doesnt take me ages to decide!
  • perrytyra
    Options
    That's awesome! And I bet you really enjoyed your steak.
  • lisasp4
    Options
    I REALLY did!