Help - Birthday Cake Ideas!

Options
NicNac86
NicNac86 Posts: 130
So it's my other half's birthday this Sunday. He and 2 of his friend's all have birthdays around the same time, so we're having a get together on Saturday night.

I'd like to bake a cake to take with us (Probably between 6 and 10 people there altogether), so was just wondering if anyone had any ideas how I could make a cake a bit healthier (it's like the holy grail - I know!)

Replies

• CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but when I bake instead of putting in the oil I use apple sauce. :bigsmile: Have a great weekend.
  • im2spooky4u
    im2spooky4u Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Make a cupcake for each person. Or don't do cake, make a light pudding cup with light cool whip topped with colorful sprinkles. Make a new tradition with something new. Or take the one cupcake, pull it apart and layer it cake/pudding/coolwhip top with sprinkles.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    apple sauce is a great idea. i've also heard a diet soda in cake is fantastic. or how about a zucchini or carrot cake instead. i would also check out cooking light for some great ideas.
  • nhhartmann
    nhhartmann Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Angel Food Cake

I just made a Chocolate Angel Food Cake last night that was delish! I made it into cupcakes (which aren't too pretty but it would look pretty in a tube pan as it says to do). I served it with Rediwhip (15 calories for 2 TB) and it is really yummy. I made it into approximately 22 servings instead of 12 and that made it a total of 96 calories for each cupcake including the rediwhip.

Easy too - just take an Angel Food Cake Mix, wisk dry mix with 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder. Add 1 & 1/3 cup water, mix and bake as directed.

Cake mix made with Pumpkin -

You can take any cake mix and add a can of pumpkin in place of all other wet ingredients and bake as directed. It is a little more calorie dense than the Angel food cake but it's really rich and yummy. Whipped cream would make a good topping again or you could make your own cream cheese frosting (which is really good when you make this with spice cake mix). I've made it with Spice Cake Mix and chocolate and each were delish.

Good luck and I'll be interested to see other ideas.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but when I bake instead of putting in the oil I use apple sauce. :bigsmile: Have a great weekend.

I was totally going to say the SAME thing,

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1/3 cup

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 636Calories 636

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 71.94g 111%
    Saturated Fat 5.108g 26%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 21.294g
    Monounsaturated Fat 42.373g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 0mg 0%
    Potassium 0mg
    Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
    Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
    Sugars 0g
    Protein 0g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%

Calcium 0% Iron 0%

Verses Apple Sauce

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1/3 cup of sauce

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 1Calories 64

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.15g 0%
    Saturated Fat 0.025g 0%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.045g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.006g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 3mg 0%
    Potassium 51mg
    Total Carbohydrate 16.75g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
    Sugars 13.88g
    Protein 0.15g

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 2%

Calcium 0% Iron 2%

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18

additional tips

http://www.ehow.com/how_5018309_make-quick-lower-calories-cholesterol.html
  • ymbarber
    ymbarber Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When using a box mix I have never added the required oil ... just left it out completely. I find it makes a denser cake ... less crumbly. Aside from that, if I were buying, I would go and pick out the smallest cake that was everything you would ever want in a cake and have a really small slice. I have started only making 6 in round cakes for our family so that the birthday cake doesn't go on for a week ...

Have a great party!!
  • ashandbensmom
    Options
    I have done egg whites and applesauce, but new favorite is the diet soda cake ( coke cake) Just take a cake mix and add 12 oz of diet soda. If you are doing chocolate use coke or pepsi, if you are doing vanilla use sprite. Or you could mix it up and use a flavored drink ( diet sunkist, or diet dr. pepper) The cake does retain a very small amount of the flavor. The best thing is that the only calories and fat in the cake are from the MIX.
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    1 box angle food cake mix
    1 can pineapples, including juice

Mix together and bake.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    The question here is "healthier" or "low calorie". If you are looking for low cal then do the diet soda cake.

If you are looking for healthier, then do the applesauce ideas or use a healthier oil like olive oil and consider a veggie or fruit based cake. Substitute half whole wheat pastry flour for white and consider a substitute for white sugar. One of my favorites is to use dates. I heat them with some water and then mash them with a fork and use them in place of sugar. Very sweet and a nice flavor. Adding pineapple and bananas also create nice sweeteners.

D
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    does it have to be cake? My partner is not a cake fan to begin with, so we usually go with fruit platters or low sugar fruit cobblers for such occasions. Made with a phyllo dough top crust instead of pie crust, it's even healthier!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    If the cake is chocolate, you can replace the oil with pureed prunes (look for it in the baby food aisle, some stores even have it in the baking aisle). I have tried it and it works! You can't tell there is any fruit in the cake and it cuts calories!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you can also use a can of pumpkin to mix in the cake mix. Just cake mix and pumpkin that is it. It is very hard to mix and you should do it by hand because I burned out the motor on my hand mixer.

But, it tastes awesome. Frost with fat free or low fat cool whip.

The white/yellow cake with pineapple as suggested above is also very good.

I do like the cupcake idea. This way you are not tempted to over induldge.
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Look for a sugar-free cake mix. I make one and then buy sugar-free pudding mix and mix the pudding with light cool whip. It is really yummy and the "frosting" gets really creamy and nice.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Just do the angel food cake mix + can of pineapple and light whipped cream recipe that EVERYONE keeps reposting here.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    the diet coke/diet soda cake. Seen it on here a ton, not sure of the direction
  • sarahlasvegas
    sarahlasvegas Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Things like sugar free cake mix etc isnt really available to buy in the UK - or sugar free whip i dont think...

The closet equivalent i think would be weight watchers have cake mix kits - ive def seen a brownie one...

Or try the tesco value cake mix with the can or diet sprite or 7 up...
  • NicNac86
    Options
    Things like sugar free cake mix etc isnt really available to buy in the UK - or sugar free whip i dont think...

The closet equivalent i think would be weight watchers have cake mix kits - ive def seen a brownie one...

Or try the tesco value cake mix with the can or diet sprite or 7 up...

Thanks everyone!

Very true sarah lol. I actually bought a WW lemon drizzle cake mix for individual muffins, maybe I could use that!
  • NicNac86
    Options
    Just found this, might give it a go!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3517/chocolate-tart