vegetables i hate... and will probably *never* like

Options

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Beets.

Had to eat them as a kid, but never since.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    mushrooms, olives, peas! Eww! Even the smell of them grosses me out!
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    celery makes me wanna punch someone...

I'm surprised *everyone* hasn't said this. Celery is pure evil. Surely no-one really likes it???? Even if it so much as touches something else on my plate I know it's been there.
  • MissMe2morrow
    Options
    Okra. EW.

Beets-- wish I like them because they're so good for you but as many times as I try, I just can't get with it.
  • locomotion
    Options

LOL! :laugh:
    Celery, parsley and peas makes me nauseous.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I love celery!! lol

HATE turnips. Not a fan of parsnips either. LOVE swede though. And butternut squash is awesome.

But then I like sprouts too....
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I don't like spinich if it is cooked. Raw in a salad it is fine.
    Olives, double yuck. The smell, the taste, even how they look.
    Mushrooms i can live without, but i will eat them if they are there rather than pick them out.

As for veggies i thought i would hate but liked when i tried? Aparagus, zuchinni and eggplant (i asn't crazy about it, though, but i think it as just the recipe used.)
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Raw carrots are kinda strange. You can be munching along just fine and enjoying your little raw carrots and then all of a sudden you get a bite of one that his this weird pooky taste that is almost like a "chemical" taste. Anyone who what I am talking about?? :sick: Ends the whole raw carrot moment for me. Snack OVER! :sick: :sick:
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options

I'm surprised *everyone* hasn't said this. Celery is pure evil. Surely no-one really likes it???? Even if it so much as touches something else on my plate I know it's been there.

I LOVE CELERY! I'm the Bubba Gump of Celery. I like Raw Celery, Stir Fried Celery, Boiled Celery, Braised Celery, Celery in soups and stews, Celery puree, Celery Salad!!!!! I don't know if I could cook at all if it wasn't for onions, garlic, and celery!
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I LOVE CELERY! I'm the Bubba Gump of Celery. I like Raw Celery, Stir Fried Celery, Boiled Celery, Braised Celery, Celery in soups and stews, Celery puree, Celery Salad!!!!! I don't know if I could cook at all if it wasn't for onions, garlic, and celery!

Yes, but you're a swimming cat.
  • Papaya81
    Papaya81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    mushrooms, olives, peas! Eww! Even the smell of them grosses me out!

love mushrooms and olives...but peas...ew I hate peas. And somehow growing up all my friends would have peas at their houses for dinner and I had to politely take a little but I don't care for them at all.

I also don't like water chestnuts, strange texture and not a huge fan of the taste.

I love pretty much everything else! A lot of it has to do with the prep work and how you eat it. A lot of questionable veggies can be easily masked with good spices!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Lima Beans

I said the same thing all my life, then a couple years back, I sat down at a country mom-n-pop restaurant. Lima beans were part of the lunch special. The way they cooked them at this place converted me instantly. So, I learned that day to not say I'll never like a certain veggie.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    LIMA BEANS!!!!!! My mom made me eat them as a child and I have hated them ever since!!!! Also, brussel sprouts, squash, and cabbage...........
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So, I kinda get the okra thing. I won't eat it boiled/steamed...the sliminess turns me off. However, who here that doesn't like okra, loves gumbo? Okra is a major ingredient in gumbo, and it just isn't real gumbo without it.

Another veggie I swore (as a transplanted "damned Yankee") I would never eat was collard greens. To folks up north, that is/was added to pig slop, not put on the table. MY ex had a recipe that she cooked them by, and served every Sunday. I wasn't crazy about them, but I would actually eat a big mess of them willingly.
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I've never been able to get into raw tomatoes. Sometimes I force feed myself some cherry tomatoes because I KNOW they are so good for me, but I just can't get into them. I also avoid mushrooms when ever possible. I'm game with all the rest though - sprouts included. ;-)
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms....a fungus grown in *kitten*..(manure for your polite folks)

But I actually love brussel sprouts..I know odd.:ohwell:
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Beets. They wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't that dirt-like aftertaste. I hate canned veggies. Soggy nastiness. I have never tried Okra, but it looks disgusting.
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Carrots- I can't stand carrot unless their flavor is masked by something else. I put them in casserole, soups, and stew b/c I know they are good for me, but I could never sit and snack on them:sick:
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I dislike canned peas and spinach -- there's just a gross smell/texture/taste thing going on there. I'm not too big on squash either.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I hated brussels too UNTIL someone told me to stop boiling them in water and slowly braise them in chicken broth instead. Oh mah word... Then toss with a wedge of Laughing Cow. It's heaven. I'm gonna go buy some right now. =)