Mom of 4 at my wits end

Options
It's way past time to loose the 'baby fat'. My youngest is 5 and I just keep getting bigger and bigger. I am ready to make the commitment to myself to be healthy again. I hope MFP will be the tool I need to succeed. I look forward to meeting other parents working hard to loose weight while keeping the rest of the family happy.

Replies

• sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Best of luck to you!!! Its changed my life!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hi and Welcome! This is a great site! Good luck on your journey =)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You said it "I am ready to make the commitment to myself to be healthy again."

That is one of the biggest battles! If you are really ready, you can really do this!! It's not easy, it takes time, but it's SOOOO worth it! It will also show your children that you are important too, not for just being mom. Taking care of yourself will help you take even better care of them. CONGRATS on starting your journey!
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    Conrats on your decision...I joined a little over a month ago. Great ppl on here and wonderful support. You are gonna love it.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Welcome! My daughter is 3 and I am still trying to lose the "baby weight" as well. You will love this site as long as you utilize it's tools....
  • knothead76
    Options
    I am also a mom of 4, and I reached the same point you are at as well. I used to always make sure the kids had snacks....candy, cookies, snack cakes, JUNK! We would eat healthy-ish meals, but then we were loading ourselves up with nothing but junk. So when my husband and I decided to make this change, we sat all 4 of the kids down and explained to them. We told them we were sorry for making those things so easily available to them, and that the night-time snacks are a thing of the past. They now get an after school snack, which consists of things such as "ants on a log", applesauce, fruit cups, yogurt, etc. We got rid of all the junk food in the house, which was 7 grocery bags full! My youngest (who is soon to be 9) was the hardest to win over with this. He asked for a snack every night for the first week. Now he asks what their after school snack is.
    I actually talked with the kids last night at dinner, and asked them if they missed having the junk food in the house. They all said "not really". We also cut out the video games during the week, which forces them outside more (yay!) and so they are getting more exercise.
    It isn't an easy road at times, but everyone adjusts, and you just have to stick to your guns about it. It is for the best for everyone!
  • inittowinit77
    Options
    It is a tough jurney but one that will make you happier and your family will be healthier. Squeezing in time for ourselves is tough in an already overbooked schedule but small doses of good behavior go a long way. Park further at the store and make everyone walk, do a quick loop around the sotre before you put anything in your cart. Play tag or kickball outside with your kids. Take out a hula hoop and a jump rope, set up some cones and make an obstacle course for all to do. Make the physical activity fun! As for the food portion of things, it is important to know serving sizes and to try new foods. Lots of fruits and veggies and a good balance of protein and carbs are important. Best of luck on your journey and if you make it fun to try new foods and participate in physical activity, your kids won't notice and they will be happier and healthier and so won't you!:smile:
  • joip
    joip Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi, my son just turned one recently and I'm still trying to lose weight. The problem with me is I eat when I'm depressed or stressed. Being a full time mom with 2 kids, I hardly find time to exercise. In the early mornings (at around 5:00) I just want to sleep and when I come home from work, I feel the need to spend every single minute being there for my kids. I should really start trying to exercise at least for half hour each day.

all the best to each one of you there. Please feel free to add me as friend. Love to all , Joice
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Mom of 2, Wife of 1 here! You've come to the right place!

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Options
    Welcome!!! I love this site. I have 3 and my youngest is 5. I am still tryin to lose th "baby weight". This site has been such a great help to me. Hope you have a great weight loss journey and feel free to friend me.
  • melgibson
    melgibson Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!!
    I :heart: this place!!!
    It's amazing how much support and determination you will find here.
    I'm a mum of one and I know how tough it is to get those stubborn baby pounds off but it will happen for you, just keep trying :smile:
    Never give up :drinker:
  • mia66
    mia66 Posts: 425
    Options
    Welcome. I am a mother of five children. I joined MFP 15 months ago and it was the best thing I have ever done for myself.
    Some suggestions too you. I found that having some goals helped me out. Small or big goals to do each month. You choose the goals, things that you want to improve about yourself ( drinking 8 cups of water, working out a certain amt of days that month, eating more vegies, etc etc... )
    Also make sure you do eat all your calories and when you work out make sure you eat them as well, this is really important to your sucess, your body needs them.
    Give yourself a cheat meal each week, keep track so you can look forward to this day.
    Make sure you have a healthy balance in your diet.
    Keep going if you mess up, do not throw away your suceses just because of one bad day or so. We all have bad days.
    Loose your weight slowly. Eat the way you should be eating the rest of your life. This is a learning experience for you to re teach yourself how to take care of yourself properly.
    I read a quote the other day, posted on here. " Where the mind goes, the body takes it. "
    Look where you want to be in a year from now, see yourself and keep that image. The year will go by no matter what but it is up to you to choose what you do with that year.
    Good luck and welcome to MFP.
    Mia:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

368038.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • maryh1974
    maryh1974 Posts: 41
    Options
    Welcome,Mom of 5 and I know what you mean..I also have to lose weight and I am so tired of being tired..:grumble:
    Good luck
  • bethymay123
    Options
    Welcome. I am also a mom of four. My oldeet is 14 and my youngest will be 1 next week. I lost most of the baby weight from the first three with the help of drill seargents yelling at me for seven months during training. When I had my DD I didn't have that " encouragement" and put all the weight back on. Now I am on my own andit is all lot harder without someone jumping my butt if I slow down or eat the wrong thing.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 4 as well. My oldest is 9 and my youngest will be 2 in June. I have been in your shoes. As a mom we always put ourselves last. You have come to the right place!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, and welcome! You can do this, mama :)
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I too am a Mom of 4. Would love to be apart of your support group!:flowerforyou:
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your decision...you have come to the right place where you can be your own fitness coach and go at your own pace. I am a mom of 3 - youngest is two and when I first started on MFP, I looked like I was still pregnant and today after about 2 months I almost can't believe what I see in the mirror( although I like it very much)! This sight will give you the tools, guidance, some education and loads of support and motivation. You will find that we're all in this together whatever our weight loss reasons are so just stick with it and much success to you...you're gonna love it here! :flowerforyou: