SALT SUBSTITUTES

Options
I have been fighting this long weary battle w/ sodium intake, and it seems like I keep losing. One of my friends told me about salt substitutes which I never thought of before. My question is: Do they really taste like salt? Also, the spices and seasonings without salt, are they just as good?

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Mrs dash as many varietys and no salt.They taste good.
  • alex51026
    alex51026 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've heard that sea salt has more flavor, and actually has less sodium than regular tablesalt. Cambell's soup has started using sea salt in some of there soups for lower sodium. Try Googling it.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Mrs. Dash - several varieties to choose from. Once you start cutting sodium, you don't notice (until you eat out and wonder why everything is so salty! :smile: ). I've also learned that I use spices a lot more now; we add a lot of cayenne, cumin, basil, garlic powder (not in the same dish though :laugh: ) - strong flavored spices and you won't miss the salt.

Note: anyone on high blood pressure meds should avoid potassium-type salt substitutes (not the seasoning mixes like Mrs. Dash but a white "salt wanna-be"). They interact with these types of meds.