small change / big difference

Options
Hi!

I've been trying to come up with tips for reasonably small changes in eating (or exercise) habits that can add up to a significant difference.

For me so far it's been with breakfast. I love big breakfasts with bread and cereal and fruit and chocolate milk. I could never deal with diets that recommend eating only a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Since I started on MFP I realised that almost half my daily calories were used by the end of breakfast. So I noticed that by eating one slice of bread instead of two, and eating a smaller or low-fat slice (for instance, the Hovis nimble range). I also switched to skimmed milk (which is a very noticeable difference in taste for me, but it's worth it, since I drink so much of it). This way, I can keep having the sensation of a big breakfast with lots of stuff, the way i love and am used to, but significantly decrease the calories.

Any tips are welcome!

Replies

• MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Some kind of egg in that breakfast! Scrambled, omelets, hard boiled, or dip your bread in an egg for french toast!

You need to swap out some of those carbs for some healthy protein, it will definitely keep you feeling full without a large spread of calories!
  • irontara
    irontara Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree with the "small changes that add up" theory. I too have been modifying my diet (exchanging higher fat yogurt for lower fat, switching brands because they are lower in cals, etc.). One additinal tip I can offer is that I try to do a bit of exercise a day, even just walking for 30mins at lunch, so that I can still eat the amount I am used to but burn up the calories.
  • marielw
    marielw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've made these small changes - some just in the last few days and some i have done for a while.

Sometimes i have a Sweet Potato baked in the oven instead of a normal potato - saves quite a few calories and is just as nice.

I never have butter or margarine in my sandwiches, in fact i never have - i don't see the point.

I only have pasta/rice maybe once a week now - used to have it every other day before.

I decreased the amount of granola/muesli that i have with my yogurt in the morning - it's just as nice with half the amount, or with some raspberries/blackberries added instead.

I substitute 2 of my cups of tea with green tea on most days.
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    Good for you! Logging calories definitely makes you AWARE of where your calories are being spent! I have learned low calorie doesn't mean a tiny amount of food. Try Thomas's Better Start English Muffins they are 100 calories and have 12 grams of Fiber (which keeps you full longer!) and cut in 1/2 can seem like 2 slices while you eat it! Also try turkey sausage instead of regular to save on Calories and Fat. As far as the milk goes you get used to it trust me! Then it will taste normal to you. Also when you can avoid cheese you usually dont miss it in a sandwich because there are so many other flavors and it will save you 80-100 calories. When you get a sub from a sandwich shop have them scoop out the middle of the bread - again save 80-100 calories. If they offer avocado opt for that over mayo or if you like it just get mustard. I find I dont even miss the mayo (but I like must so if you dont this wont work). Yummy snacks that are low cal: rice cake (35cal) plus 1/4 hass avocado (69 cal) = 104cal snack! For sweet tooth try the frozen 40cal fudge pops at 40 cal you can even eat two and not hit the guilt train! No matter what keep it up and try new things! Good luck and God Bless! =]
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    Hi,
    I agree with the "small changes that add up" theory. I too have been modifying my diet (exchanging higher fat yogurt for lower fat, switching brands because they are lower in cals, etc.). One additinal tip I can offer is that I try to do a bit of exercise a day, even just walking for 30mins at lunch, so that I can still eat the amount I am used to but burn up the calories.

Have you tried Fage o% plain yogurt? It is so wonderful and tastes like full fat yogurt! add fresh fruit, honey, or use it in place of sour cream! they also have little snack cups with side-car's of fruit or honey. I like it bc i get to add the fruit when I eat it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I make a one-egg omelette with 100g of spinach and mushrooms with healthy shake of italian spices and about a tsp of parmesan cheese. I may add a spoonful of salsa or spaghetti sauce to mix up the flavor a bit.

The spouse calls this a "fat omelette" because it makes a HUGE pile on the plate, but it's really a "skinny omelette"--clocking in at less than 150 calories, and full of very filling protein and fiber (I usually don't even want toast with it).
  • luisabaeta
    luisabaeta Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Logging calories definitely makes you AWARE of where your calories are being spent! I have learned low calorie doesn't mean a tiny amount of food. Try Thomas's Better Start English Muffins they are 100 calories and have 12 grams of Fiber (which keeps you full longer!) and cut in 1/2 can seem like 2 slices while you eat it! Also try turkey sausage instead of regular to save on Calories and Fat. As far as the milk goes you get used to it trust me! Then it will taste normal to you. Also when you can avoid cheese you usually dont miss it in a sandwich because there are so many other flavors and it will save you 80-100 calories. When you get a sub from a sandwich shop have them scoop out the middle of the bread - again save 80-100 calories. If they offer avocado opt for that over mayo or if you like it just get mustard. I find I dont even miss the mayo (but I like must so if you dont this wont work). Yummy snacks that are low cal: rice cake (35cal) plus 1/4 hass avocado (69 cal) = 104cal snack! For sweet tooth try the frozen 40cal fudge pops at 40 cal you can even eat two and not hit the guilt train! No matter what keep it up and try new things! Good luck and God Bless! =]

Those were some really good tips!! I especially love cutting the muffin in half - "fooling" yourself that you are eating two slices sounds like a wonderful trick!!
    I have never seen these 40cal fudge pops. They sound great! what brand is this? Are they for sale in the UK or the US?

As for rosebarnalice, I really need to learn how to cook omelette, it sounds really yummy! I'll find a youtube video teaching me and follow your ingredients!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    When making salmon or tuna salad, instead of using all mayo I use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 plain fat free Greek yogurt. You don't notice the difference and it saves on calories and fat grams.

If I am craving something sweet, a square of dark chocolate satisfies much more than milk chocolate. For some reason milk chocolate makes me crave more sugar while dark satisfies.

I never noticed before MFP how many bread calories I was consuming. Now I have one piece of toast instead of two, a sandwich with one piece of bread instead of 2, etc.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This is excellent advice. The best tools in your fat loss programme are often the ones which you can implement simply and seamlessly into your day to day life.

Walk a bit more. Walk faster. Take the stairs instead of the lift. Do something physical in the evening (can you all please take your minds out of the gutter - thank you ;) instead of watching TV. Replace soda for water and so on.

A thousand tiny changes leading to one huge difference.