So disheartened

Options
I have 20kg to lose. My body doesn't seem to want to shift it. Nothing is moving that dial. I can't do push ups, I can walk a little bit more than I do, but it's taking so long, and nothing seems to be happening. I understand plateauing, but I haven't gone anywhere yet.

Tell me it gets better. Any hints and tips? I was bummed tonight and ate a bag of chips. New start tomorrow. Please help. :/

Replies

• amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • Carolyn204
    Carolyn204 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been having a rough time too. I know that I HAVE to get more exercise into my routine. Walking is good, but are there any other exercises you can add in? Every little bit helps! I hope it gets better for you. I keep at it, and eventually you will see success. (At least, that is what I keep telling myself!)
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    First of all, you're not alone in this, everyone on this goes through phases of ups and lows so hang in there.

Secondly, did you start on 2 March like it says below? If so, honey, you've only been at it for 2 weeks!! You can't expect the weight to fall off right away. It didn't take you overnight to gain 20kgs, right? It took 18 months for me to gain 20kgs and I've been at this for 2 1/2 months and slowly, by losing appx 1 - 2lb a week, I've finally lost about 17lb.

How much exercise are you doing? Can you open your diary so we can see your food? There are some great people here that can look at your food calories and tell you what you can be doing better to assist weight loss.

There are not hints and the only tip I can give you is to not give up. I've had my odd nights of binge eating when I was sad but I regret it right away. The key is to know when these emotional triggers happen and stop it before you reach for that bag of chips.

It will happen for you but you have to be patient, we all have to. Like my evil trainer Jillian Michaels says, if you're diligent about this, you will see results.

Don't give up =)
  • JHoersten2
    JHoersten2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was bummed tonight and ate a bag of chips. New start tomorrow. Please help. :/

Biggest help: Make it a lifestyle change, instead of result-driven. Eat right, exercise, be healthy - for you, not for the weight loss.

Results will follow.
  • MelissaG36
    Options
    Believe it or not, the chips will probably help. I know that sounds bad but when we diet our body gets used to the same ol thing & we platue. Some times throwing it a curve ball will kick start your weight loss again. Change up your workouts, your times of eating & what your eating, see if that helps :O) Just try not to use the chips again, LOL! You have to learn that you cant eat to help with your disappointment, or you'll be back to where you started.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It takes time, you may want to look into if your calories eaten meet your calories burned. Under eating to try and shift scale could cause your body to hold on to stores. Also the scale can be deceptive, a shift from fat to muscle will not show on. May want to try taking measurements and comparing those rather then just weight. Remember too that this is a lifestyle shift for better health. Just stay the course and even if it does take a while know that you are making a healthier you. Good luck to you in your goals and on your journey to good health.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you don't have time to walk more, try walking faster.

As far as push-ups go, try doing them on an elevated surface - a table or chair, or even against a wall - to start. My favourites trick is to do full press-ups but with my legs way apart. Much easier!

Good luck!
  • madamelaporte
    madamelaporte Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    try jillian michaels 30 day shred its great, micing up cardio and strength training it burns off more fat quicker :)

In general when you go walking try and walk that little bit faster, do some jumping jacks or stepups when you have a spare 10 minutes.

Eat right and dont be discouraged, it could take a while for your body to adjust to the new way of eating.
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So, I'm estimating that your 65kg goal means 143lbs, correct? Hmm...depending on your height and metabolism, that may or may not be reasonable at almost 30 years old and after a pregnancy. And did I see some heavy relationship stress indicated on your profile?

Pure anecdotal example here: I'm 5'6", At my most fit, pre-kids, 19 years old, I was 145 lbs. I had no car, and no money (meaning I walked everywhere in town and ate very little. Can of veggies for dinner, cup of yogurt for lunch, things like that). I was also a vegetarian.
    After the first child, being mostly vegetarian, walking everywhere on campus, and going to the gym for 3-5 hours a week, 150 was all I could push for, and 155 seemed to be my natural resting weight.

So, 30 years old and second child later, I'm not expecting to get any lower than 160 without extreme efforts. And frankly, not only do I not have the time or money for those extreme efforts, I don't want my life to revolve around my weight.

Now, that's just the story of my life and metabolism (I also have hypoglycemia). Yours may be totally different. And that's something to remember: everyone's body is different, reacting in different ways to different life events. Work with yourself, not against.

And as JHoersten2 said:
    "Eat right, exercise, be healthy - for you, not for the weight loss.

Results will follow. "

This is also for your child, as children will pick up on their parents' body dissatisfaction. They can tell whether you're doing it for health or a weight number/appearance, and they will follow suit later.

Also, kids have a different view on body fat. My kids and others consider their moms to be more "comfortable" and have more "cuddle space".

Your body lives, works, plays, and loves. It is a good one.

http://realwomenproject.org/sculptures.shtml