fresh spinach recipe....

Options
purple_punk
purple_punk Posts: 174 Member
I love spinach usually just buy frozen ones defrost in pan with boiling water and salt drain and add some chillies and prawn, i've bought some fresh spinach any ideas of what to do with them? something healthy and quick, thanks :)

Replies

• jackiemomx2
    jackiemomx2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    saute w/ garlic and a little bit of olive oil. this is good mixed w/ chicken and some whole wheat pasta. a staple in my house!
  • luebkme
    luebkme Posts: 5
    Options
    My favorite is to heat a tbsp of olive oil in a skillet, add the spinach and saute with a few red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and then a tbsp of lemon juice right before serving.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I put spinach in salads instead of lettuce, or steam it with a little garlic and eat with salmon. I also put it in my protein shakes.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    saute w/ garlic and a little bit of olive oil. this is good mixed w/ chicken and some whole wheat pasta. a staple in my house!

That is exactly how I do it. I also add a few red pepper flakes if you like a bit of a bite. Just the spinach is a great side dish as well.
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    add it to salad
    i have spinach leaves, lettuce , cucumber, plum tomatos,cress, mushrroms, then either have chicken or tuna or boiled eggs with it. u change or add what you like my partner puts onions and peppers in his too but i dont like them :-)
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I prefer fresh spinach in place of iceberg lettuce... on hamburgers, in salads, on my favorite subs a Subway. I don't even bother with iceberg anymore. Love sauteed spinach, too. A little olive oil, garlic, sometimes I add ground cumin or curry powder. It just depends on how I feel that day. Sometimes in stir-fry. We eat a LOT of spinach at my house.
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to make a salad out of it with 3 c. spinach, 1/2 c. corn, 1/2 c. black beans, 1/2 c. minute brown rice, and salsa. Great flavors and very filling. :happy:
  • Smartyfan
    Smartyfan Posts: 10
    Options
    I saute fresh (or frozen) spinach in very little olive oil with garlic. Top a portabello mushroom (or 2) with that and a smidge of fat free cheese (whatever kind you like but stick to the serving size). Roast in a 425 oven for 10-20 minutes. Yum!!
  • teenytinybikini
    teenytinybikini Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I add it to loads of dishes, fish pie, curry, pasta bake, also as a side dish it's nice sauteed with garlic and olive oil as someone else suggested
  • UntilNextTime
    Options
    I also use spinach instead of lettuce for salads and sandwiches. I like them sauteed with mushrooms, garlic and red peppers. And lately I have been making egg white omelettes with them and feta cheese. A few times I have made them with pasta and couscous just to get some green in that dish.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love spinach,all of these ideas sound so yummy!
  • purple_punk
    Options
    thanks guys i will be trying all of your ideas i love spinach :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I use spinach for almost anything! Something yummy recently was I cooked chicken breasts in a pan and then threw in some canned tomatoes, garlic and onions until the chicken was done. Then I put in some spinach and covered the pan, let it steam the spinach and then put just a teeny sprinkle of parmesan cheese over it. It was a 400 calorie meal :)
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I do the sautee thing that everyone else does...I also like spinach in the place of iceberg lettuce. ( I use baby spinach)

for my family, I also use spinach as a filler for any pasta dishes I make... I cook the dish ( mac & cheese, linguine, etc) as usual and right before serving I mix in a handful or 3 or baby spinach
  • purple_punk
    Options
    I'm gonna do sauté spinach with garlic chillies and smoked turkey thighs(no skin) for my dinner tonight :)