Fish ideas????

Options
Ok so I do not like fish, like almost at all. Its the fishy smell/taste that I cant stand but I have heard that it depends on the fish and how u cook it. I need ideas!!! I want to be able to say I am a "fish eater" LOL.......

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You definitely want white fish like cod or tilapia. They hardly have any fishy taste or smell, and they're really healthy. I like to cook mine with a bit of seasoning and garlic. But you can buy pre-seasoned or pre-breaded frozen tilapia or cod and just cook it in the oven for 20-25 minutes and you're set. That's what I do and it's an easy dinner.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Mako shark is hardly fishy at all. I don't know if that counts as fish. It reminds me of tender center cut pork chops only super tender and kinda sweet ish.
  • nclmit
    nclmit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is a great. It doesn't have that overwhelming "fishy" taste. I recommend seasoning it with lemon pepper and then broil it. You can google tons of recipes on tilapia.
  • kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    I am not a bog fan of fish at all, but I love tilapia! Here is a recipe my Hubby just made and it was SO GOOD.

http://teamdao.blogspot.com/2011/03/healthy-tilapia-recipe-to-celebrate-me.html
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Oh I love tilapia! I tried a recipe a few weeks back that you may or may not like. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Smothered-Tilapia/Detail.aspx I switched up the swiss for real parmesan and generic seasoning stuff for the steak stuff. I served it over rice with asparagus (for me) and broccoli (for my hubby). He hates really fishy smelling fish.

An easy way is to make a foil "boat" (you can pinch it up on the sides/top but it stays closed when cooking) and add lemon or orange juice/slices, a bit of parsley and a dash of light mayo. 20-25 minutes later at 350 and you have a healthy protein with a citrus kick. :D
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Parmesan Tilapia serves 8

Sea Best - 3 oz Individual Tilapia Fillets, 32.01 oz
    Belgioioso - Parmesan Cheese (Hard), 4 oz (28 g), grated
    Valu Time - Sweet Cream Butter, 8 Tbsp., softened
    Kraft - Miracle Whip Light Salad Dressing, 3 Tbsp
    Generic - Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice, 1 fluid ounce
    Tone's - Ground Black Pepper, 1 tsp.
    Tone's - Garlic Powder, 2 Tbsp
    Mccormick - Basil, Dried, 1 Tbsp
    Mccormick's - Celery Salt, 2 tsp
    Adams - Onion Powder, 2 Tbsp

INGREDIENTS Mix Parmesan cheese, butter (softened ), miracle whip, fresh lemon juice, dried basil , ground black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & celery salt together and set aside.
    DIRECTIONS Preheat your oven's broiler. Place Tilapia fillets on broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Put back in oven and broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to overcook the fish.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Costco had various fish, including Talapia (very low fish taste) already encrusted with something. Just place on a baking sheet and bake. They are yummy, fast and easy to prepare!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    My favorite is salmon - needs to be very fresh - and I put it in a foil packet, covered with lemon-pepper marinade, seal up the packet and put in the oven at 425 for about 30-45 minutes (depends on oven and whether fish is frozen or refrigerated). You can do the same thing with any other type of fish - this keeps it very moist, and the marinade is like a sauce that keeps it from tasting too fishy.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    we love lemon pepper tilapia and parmesan tilapia at my house! delish!
  • cougs12
    cougs12 Posts: 92
    Options
    i get fish from sams club. i love the Parmesan crusted kind. and my girls will eat so a double bonus
  • jax5103
    jax5103 Posts: 19
    Options
    My hubby marinades our fish in fat free italian dressing and TONS of dill! Then grills it on our Foreman! Super good and super healthy! Oh you can use any whitefish since thats about all I will eat is cod or tilapia!

Jax
  • kikibruce
    kikibruce Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is awsome even my 7 yr old eats it. Also salmon and mahi mahi are not fishy. If you can find it sword fish is more like chicken txture and really yummy.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love halibut baked with salt & pepper, dill and a slice of lemon on top.
    It's a very mild tasting fish.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    smoked or just plain grilling it helps. add some dill too
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    tilapia is definitely a great fish to work with - you can dress it up with white wine/lemon/parsley/garlic, or cajun/old bay/roasted onions and peppers. or season and encrust with crushed pine nuts, a bit of parm cheese and parsley, and bake.

salmon is another favorite of mine - but the taste is a bit stronger. my fave prep style for this is to bake in oven after marinating for 30 min in mixture of soy sauce, maple syrup, crushed garlic, and salt/pepper.

if you like sashimi, a great mild fish is tuna (maguro). one thing that i've been eating lately is bite-size pieces of sashimi grade tuna, with a ponzu soy sauce on the side (basically, a citrus soy sauce), and topped with fresh avocado cubes, japanese hot pepper seasoning, a bit of sesame oil, and thin roasted seaweed strips. super yummy and fresh!
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I would also recommend cod or any other whitefish, but along with this I'd suggest tuna steaks and seabass. They're two very different kinds of fish, but both work well with marinades and neither are very fishy!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe...but I love fish!! I could eat it everyday. I would eat it in a house, with a mouse, I would eat it anywhere:love: So thanks for the recipes I may try them all!
  • frecklemouse3k
    Options
    I have the same issue with fish, have never liked it ... until I tried fresh sea bass right out of the water. If fish is fresh then there is no fishy smell. I like Mahi Mahi and just recently tried fresh tuna and cod.
    Good luck-Alton Brown and Bobby Flay on Food Network have great recipes for fish.
    Sheri
  • cougs12
    cougs12 Posts: 92
    Options
    i got tortilla crusted cod from sams club today and it was delicious. my 4 1/2 even loved it and she's a picky eater sometimes.