Cure for late nite munchies?

Options
mrmarius
mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
my loss has halted since changing shifts working 3-11. I know a big part is because I seem to be starving and I get to binging when I get home. Even when I complete my log sometimes I get home and still binge. What can I do to stave the hunger

Replies

• PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Drink lots and lots of Water!!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Just don't do it! A few rough days of fighting it, and your body will get used to it and the cravings will go away.
  • wispykrispy
    wispykrispy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was working 11a-11p... I was sooo hungry i'd end up pigging out when i got home. If you like celery you could try cutting yourself up a bunch of sticks of that and dipping it in a tbsp of light blue cheese dressing (like Marie's)-- it's only 35 calories for the dressing and the celery is almost negligible. It really doesn't fill me up but at least it is somewhat satisfying to crunch on something
  • SadieAnnL
    SadieAnnL Posts: 17
    Options
    Have a glass of water and an apple - know it sounds boring, but it does fill you up. The trick is have the water, eat the apple and leave the kitchen asap ;) not to go back in there until the morning....
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Have a high-protein and/or high fiber snack when you start to feel hungry. I like Zone bars, other people like nuts or yogurt (I find that because of the sugars, most yogurts just make me hungrier), if you have access to a microwave, oatmeal is good. By all means avoid sugar and simple carbs like you find in chips and most vending-machine offerings and sodas.

I find that if I let myself get too hungry, I'll eat way too much when I finally do get to eat, so it's better to have a 200-calorie Zone bar at 4 pm than to eat three helpings at supper because by the time I get to it, I'm STARVING!!!!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories ? Are you drinking enough water? getting enough sleep?

You might also find the links below helpful...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with late night snacks.
    And most of the time they get the better of me.
    For example last night at about 3am, i ate a whole pack of choc chip cookies.
    I do have a solution, but the problem is is that most nights im too exhausted to do it.
    What you do is, you do loads of sit-ups.
    Until you feel like your going to be sick.
    After that even if your starving, food is the last thing you want.
    Works every time for me, and because im not very physically fit, im at this stage after about 8 minutes.
    Give it a try next time you want to snack!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I usually just take my but to bed when the cravings start, but if that fails My cure is usually water, and or a protein bar. The Special K ones are delicious.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I will second the water comments. I hate it when people suggest more water to me, lol, but it really does work.

I eat so much more and give in to cravings when I'm not hydrated enough.
  • lrodriguez83
    Options
    When I am up late and get the muchies, I either eat sugar free jello and fat free cool whip, a handful of almonds, or some unsalted pretzels.
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I get the munchies late at night too. Instead eating, I plug in the kettle and make herbal tea. I keep multiple types at all times (i actually have a "tea drawer" in the kitchen LOL Mind over matter is what I keep telling myself while the kettles heating. But ultimately, every time I sit down with my hot cup of tea I'm not hungry anymore and I feel more relaxed.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I usually just take my but to bed when the cravings start, but if that fails My cure is usually water, and or a protein bar. The Special K ones are delicious.

yup thats what I do, if I start getting to munchies, I just go to bed~
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, drink water. But if you must eat some carrots or unslated nuts. I have a jar on my nightstand and a bottle of water. I use to think going to bed will fix it but it only makes me hungier when I wake up the next day
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on low fat cottage cheese. Only 77 calories per 10g and if you drink water before you will soon feel full.
  • LinzBean
    LinzBean Posts: 2
    Options
    Chug the water and make sure you eat a reasonable size supper of something healthy.
    Most the time those "late night munchies" is due to boredom or just a free time. I would highly suggest chugging water, preferably ice cold, or a green tea. Green tea does wonders for hunger and it will speed up your metabolism and do other wonderful work.
    There is no definitate cure for this except willpower and determination. I know cause I use to suffer really bad and now starting to change ways.
  • kelley4123
    kelley4123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    drink a pint of water then brush your teeth! :happy:
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Do you like tea? Sometimes a nice herbal tea at night will calm you down and help fill you up. *shrug*...at least it has more flavor then just plain water. If you're really hungry at that time every night, then maybe figure a snack into your calories too? Do you plan out your daily intake the night before or do you do it as you go? If you are doing it as you go it could be helpful to plan it out.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    I would drink water and get nuts, the are crunchy and makes your body think you eating more cause of all the chewing. And they are packed with good oils and fats.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Try snacking on low fat cottage cheese. Only 77 calories per 10g and if you drink water before you will soon feel full.

Cottage cheese is a good option before bed because it provides Casein protein. Casein is a slow digesting protein; optimal for eating before bed! You can also buy a Casein powder. But, I personally don't like the taste of them.