Sore Muscles! After 30DS

Options
Hello, I just started the 30 Day Shred yesterday and my leg muscles are pretty sore. I've heard conflicting responses from people I've asked that tell me if my muscles are sore then I should give them a rest (not exercise them) for a few days until they feel better. They are not unbareable by any means but still more sore than normal. I had also planned on continuing to do my regualar 35-45 mins of cardio every day on the treadmill with running / walking intervals. What do you guys think? I'm afraid if I rest for a day I'll fall out of a routine, or it won't even help my muscles by not doing anything. Although at the same time.. I don't want to make it worse then I'm out more than a few days! :-/ any thoughts?

Replies

• j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Work through the pain, it will get easier after the 3rd or 4th day and you won't hurt as much. I am on Level 2 day 3 and I don't hurt as much anymore, even with the cardio I do after.
  • nicolepope11
    Options
    No! Do not rest them! It is better to continue working them. If the pain is really bad, stick to a light walk or something else light. You'll feel better after a light workout than you would if you were to sit around and "let them heal."
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If your muscles weren't sore then I would be concerned that you weren't doing ENOUGH. Sore is one thing... painful is another. I don't think you should rest. Those people on TBL don't get to rest and look at the results.

There are many people on here who swear by the shred and that all 30 days in a row are whats needed then there are people here who "phone it in" and the results are not as great. Do what you are capable of doing. If you can physically do the shred today then do it. If it HURTS to do it.. Then don't.. its how you feel WHILE you are working out I think that matters..

Just my opinion - and I am by no meansa fitness educated person.. I have done the 30DS and am still currently doing it.. and I find that when I wait a day in between it doesnt help.. the sore is a good thing to me.. lets me know it is working.

Good luck on finding your answer! :)
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I worked thru the pain... I just finished the shred this morning... I found the first 2 days I was soooo sore but it got easier as the month went by... I did it for 30 days and took the 10th day off between levels.... my sister told me looks like I lost more weight then I did! I wish I would have taken before pics!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is best not to work the same muscle group within 48 hours of working that same muscle group. If you work legs on Monday you should not do them again until Wednesday at the earliest. Muscles need time to recover to build bigger and stronger than they were before. Without proper recovery you muscles will actually deteriorate and get weaker and smaller.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I only rest if it feels like I have injured something. Last week I pulled something in my back so I took a day off and by the next day I felt better. Yesterday my abs were spent, but I still did them. Soreness shouldn't stop your workout. However, if you feel injured that should require rest. So as long as your not injured keep it up. Your body will adapt and you wont feel as sore. When ever you start a strength training program and have never done it-you will feel sore.
  • seymoneisgoing2lose
    Options
    I am doing 30DS also and I am sore but it is my upper body.. So I am working through it, so instead of using 8 pound weights I am using 5 pounds for some exercises..

I would say work through it, unless it is painful...
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone above. I just finished Level 1 Day 5. I rested after Day 1 and woke up the day after resting and I was no LESS sore than the day before. So I sucked it up and have done it 4 days in a row, and am doing fine. I'm sore, but a good kind of sore. And, btw, I asked the SAME question as you after the 1st day and I didn't listen to everyone who said to not rest. I sttill rested. Waste of a day. Good luck, and have fun!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I only rest if it feels like I have injured something. Last week I pulled something in my back so I took a day off and by the next day I felt better. Yesterday my abs were spent, but I still did them. Soreness shouldn't stop your workout. However, if you feel injured that should require rest. So as long as your not injured keep it up. Your body will adapt and you wont feel as sore. When ever you start a strength training program and have never done it-you will feel sore.

The no rest days or alternating days is what makes the 30 DS, not a great program. Maybe a good workout but poorly designed in the way you do it.
    Your body gets most of its gains during rest periods, there is no reason to ever do the same muscle groups back to back even abs.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I was so sore after the first few days!! Even my elbows hurt!! But I kept going! I did day 5 level one today. It is so much easier than the first day, and only my calf muscles are still sore, but not as bad as they were.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I find it works better for me if I push through and workout even when they ache, or they'll hurt the day after a workout for a longer period of time. You should get used to it pretty quickly and I doubt in a weeks time you'll be aching the next day :)
    Although, if it's ever really bad it may be best to take just a days break or you may do more harm than good, this is usually the case if you've injured yourself a little bit.

One thing I find that helps sore muscles is deep heat, I don't know if they sell it outside the UK or not though. It has a really strong smell that isn't that pleasant but definately works :)
  • heathera1980
    Options
    You'll feel better if you continue to work, even if you stretch today, then pick up tomorrow. Letting your muscles stay cold will only make them hurt worse. If you work through the pain, it's only until your muscles are warmed up and then you'll feel great. It'll only last a couple of days. I wasn't able to walk down the stairs or sit on the toilet after the first day of the Shred but I worked thorugh it. If I didn't, I would have lost interest because it 'hurt' too bad. Keep it up, you're doing a GREAT job! :smile:
  • mandycox1301
    Options
    I am on day 3. I totally felt it on day 2, real bad. I actually soaked them in my tub for awhile and that helped. Today is better already!! Also, take some tylenol before. I also am still doing my walking and zumba as well.

Dont stop though!!! You can do it!! =) GOOD LUCK!!
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've never done the 30DS, but I have found that a post-workout 8ounce glass of lowfat chocolate milk did wonders for muscle soreness after my workouts. I do the chocolate milk on my cardio days, and a whey protein shake on my strength training days, drinking it within 30 minutes of finishing my workout. Good luck to you!
  • OUKoala23
    OUKoala23 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all for your experiences and encouragement!!! I will contunue to stretch my leg muscles out (maybe get some icy / hot - ha) and power though to do the Shred later today! I don't want to lose motivation for it at all. :happy:
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options

The no rest days or alternating days is what makes the 30 DS, not a great program. Maybe a good workout but poorly designed in the way you do it.
    Your body gets most of its gains during rest periods, there is no reason to ever do the same muscle groups back to back even abs.

He is right. I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for over a year now but I have never done the 30 days straight. I started out trying that. I was really sore just starting out but and didn't want to work the same muscles the next day. I started mixing up my other workouts with 30 DS and that has worked wonderfully for me. I think it's very important to mix it up a bit.

I've just recently moved up to her Ripped an 30 DVD and love it. It's much harder but I still want to mix it with my other workouts rather than following her program.