From Cold Minnesota

Options
thcri
thcri Posts: 459 Member
I installed the program on my phone just three days ago and am starting to like it. Just found the forum page today, ask a question so I guess it be best to introduce myself.

Most people call me "murph" and I am from SE Minnesota. I have had good success at losing weight up until about three months ago and hit a plateau so am looking for additional help, thus My Fitness Pal Program. But let me back up.

One year ago March 14th 2010 I entered the emergency room here in our town with a digestive blockage due to some scar tissue that has built up over the years. While there I was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic. Well that wasn't a surprise since my father had it and my uncle on my mothers side had it. My dad was a small person and still got it. I was a heavy person so it wasn't if I was going to get diabetes but when. I weighed in a Tad bit over 300. I went home from the hospital with a prescription of 3 Novolog fast acting insulin shots and 1 Lantus Long acting inulin shot per day. I decided then I had to make a change. Yeah too late. Within a week with my eating habits I got off of the 3 Novolog shots per day. Two months later I got off the Lantus. So now for 10 months I have not taken any insulin nor do I take any other medications. I have treated my diabetes through exercise and eating habits. Cleaning the garage June 10th I pulled down my old bike and started riding it. By summers end I had 1300 miles on it. When I started riding I had all I could do to ride a mile. Today I average over 20 miles per trip with my longest being 71 miles. I have lost 84 pounds, put ten back on but am struggling as I said earlier so am looking for help. I have to watch carbs but yet if it is my lack of eating carbs that is preventing me from losing then I just have to eat them. As I said I signed up three days ago and looking for any advice or support/friends to help me. I ordered a new bike that will allow me to ride more often on longer trips and would love to lose about 15 more pounds.

Hope to get to know many of you here.

murph

Replies

• Sherry1979
    Sherry1979 Posts: 457
    Options
    Welcome Murph & CONGRATS on your success so far. . .getting your diabetes under control & getting off the meds is such a huge accomplishment. . .as is 1300 miles on your bike!!! Keep up the good work & you'll break thru that plateau in no time! :smile:
  • morinmom
    morinmom Posts: 17
    Options
    hey murph i am from north dakota i have been struggling with diabetic symptoms for about a year now and i decided i should start eating healthier and lose some weight and so far i have been feeling much better i have a big family history with everyother person on insulin so i got to be careful i read from many sorces that the less you weigh the harder it is to burn calories you just have to stay with it and have you tried changing up your exercise routine it helps to change it every couple of weeks
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Welcome from cold Colorado:tongue: FAmily diabetes and heart disease are exactly why I am here. I quit smoking over 4 years ago after smoking heavily for 37 years. I have lost one sister to heart disease and another to diabetes. I am suprisingly in good health but have put on too much weight. I started 2/14/11 and have so far lost 11 lbs. This is a great place with tons of support.