Bladder issues during exercise...anyone?

Options
I think I need to focus on getting most of my day's water in BEFORE the evening when I usually go to the gym. Sometimes when I jog my mile, if I've had too much water before hand, even if I go before getting on treadmill...I have issues! LOL

Dr. said if it gets worse...to call her and I can go on medicine but she thinks it's a combined issue. Partly "waiting too long" sometimes but partly physical when I cough/jog and there is leakage.

I don't really have an issue w/ spin class though. Mostly when jumping around is involved (jogging or Combat class..sometimes).

Anyone else?

Replies

• mum23
    mum23 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    have you tried doing pelvic floor exercises?
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I used to get this, especially while doing jumping jacks, but almost any type of jumping around could trigger it. I started doing kegals which helped while I was consistant with them. Although I'm finding the more I exercise the stronger the 'down stairs' muscles are becoming and its becoming less and less of a problem.
    I blame my daughter for being a 9lb baby....
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    jumping jacks always make me have to pee. my trainer has the same problem. sometimes i pee right before i start my work out and still have to go after doing jumping jacks. i just assume it's all the water being bounced around!
  • Jessicah1987
    Jessicah1987 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    have you had kids? my mom has that issue and its because all those muscles down there are no longer tight, due to childbirth. kegals will do the trick in strengthening and tightening the muscles.
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have that problem, but only when I run/jog. Ive also heard that it was from childbirth, (I have 4) but I don't really know for sure what causes it. Its really embarrasing though, I can tell you that!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. This started after having my second child. I have noticed that it is worse just before and during TOM and read online that this can be the case. I am going to make an appt with the dr. because I dont see that kegals are going to take care of the problem. I had to quit my couch to 5k because of it and was very depressed about it.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Doing pelvic floor exercise (kegals) should be part of every womans daily workout full stop, your bladder will thanks you, your womb with thank you and your lover will thank you!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I also have this problem. This started after having my second child. I have noticed that it is worse just before and during TOM and read online that this can be the case. I am going to make an appt with the dr. because I dont see that kegals are going to take care of the problem. I had to quit my couch to 5k because of it and was very depressed about it.

PFE's should help, the only time they wont is if you have a severe prolapse that needs surgery...but you'd know about that believe me!

How to do pelvic floor exercises

You can feel your pelvic floor muscles if you try to stop the flow of urine when you go to the toilet.
    To strengthen your pelvic floor muscles, sit comfortably and squeeze the muscles 10-15 times in a row. Avoid holding your breath, or tightening your stomach, buttock, or thigh, muscles, at the same time. (to make sure you sre doing them right practise while peeing to identify the right muscles, you wont be able to stop it at first but should be able to alter the flow)
    When you get used to doing pelvic floor exercises, you can try holding each squeeze for a few seconds. Every week, you can add more squeezes, but be careful not to overdo it, and always have a rest in between sets of squeezes.
    After a few months, you should start to notice the results. Your incontinence should improve, as well as the sensitivity you experience during sex. You should carry on doing the exercises, even when you notice them starting to work.

(sorry if TMI) After having a stage 3 prolapse immediately following the birth of my 2nd child I have done PFE's religiously, at least 2 sets of 25 a day for the last 19 years. I avoided the need for surgery and also had 2 more deliveries without problem afterwards. You won't see the results immediately but they will work and are worth doing.

EDIT info from NHS. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1063.aspx?CategoryID=52&SubCategoryID=146
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yes..I have had 3 kids. Dr. said that was part of it.