nuts, almonds, etc?

Options
Does anyone have any good ideas on types of nuts, etc that would fill me up and be healthy as a snack. (and taste good)
Thanks!

Replies

• bacanbit
    bacanbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a handful of whole natural almonds daily for my mid-morning snack.
  • zoibas
    zoibas Posts: 31
    Options
    I eat almonds because my doctor mentioned them as a good source of nutrition. I also add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts in my oatmeal 2 - 3 times a week. They are high in anti-oxidants....
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond Natural Whole Almonds (on sale buy one get one free at Walgreen's right now)
  • lotrisneat
    lotrisneat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This weekend at Target I got some Planter's 100% Natural Harvest Pistachio Grove Blend. It has almonds, peanuts, pistachios, and cashews. So yummy! They are roasted with salt with no oil. I always have to make sure I measure out a serving because it's so easy to over-indulge.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Almonds! I eat the Blue Diamond - Wasabi & Soy Sauce flavored Almonds and I love them.

But be VERY careful..I literally have to measure 1oz or count out 28 almonds or I WILL eat more than the serving size.
  • monicasimon
    Options
    Almonds - raw, unsalted. They are very healthy, too. But don't exaggerate, don't eat more than 15 or so pieces at a time.
    I have them almost every day.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a handful of whole natural almonds daily for my mid-morning snack.

I have the same for my mid-afternoon snack (10 raw almonds) with a chocolate protein shake :) I love almonds!
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    natural unsalted, non roasted Almonds are fantastic for you. They are full of Omegas, magnesium and calcium. Also they have a natural mineral in them that blocks your body from storing them as fat! In my nutritionist corse there was a study conducted and they took two groups of women trying to lose weight and one group ate a healthy diet but were able to eat up to 40 almonds a day... the other group ate the same foods but were not allowed any almonds. The group that ate the almonds lost 15% more weight in the same amount of time:)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Almonds are definitely the best choice. They also come in lots of flavors so you won't get bored with them. Try Emeralds. Their Cocoa and Cinnamon almonds are to die for and they have no more calories or carbs than plain almonds.
  • AngiMoss
    AngiMoss Posts: 77
    Options
    I really like pistachios, but it's hard for me to have any self control when I buy a bag.
    Almonds are great, too. There is an almond company that started selling "100 calorie" portion bags recently and they come in a few different flavors. One of them was a cocoa flavor. They come in a small box with a few pouches inside. I found them with all the canned & jars of nuts in the supermarket.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I have a 1/4 cup of natural roasted, no salt almonds every morning on the way to work. I get mine from Giant Eagle from their Nature's Basket brand.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I get the Emerald 100 calorie packs of Almonds and the 100 calorie packs of wanuts and almonds. I feel like the one with walnuts keeps me feeling fuller longer, but the one with just almonds has more nuts in it.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    I really like pistachios, but it's hard for me to have any self control when I buy a bag.
    Almonds are great, too. There is an almond company that started selling "100 calorie" portion bags recently and they come in a few different flavors. One of them was a cocoa flavor. They come in a small box with a few pouches inside. I found them with all the canned & jars of nuts in the supermarket.

I think you're talking about Emerald.
    The cocoa ones are really chocolately - yum!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Walnuts and almonds are nutritional power houses and a regular part of my diet. But they're also calorie dense so be careful ;-)

Lots of info out there on them, but here's just an example: http://www.realage.com/tips/which-nut-is-tops-for-clearing-arteries
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

I love pistachios, but could eat a whole bag in one sitting. I wish they would make 100 calorie portions of those.

I know I can make my own 100 calorie portions, but when I have a bag or jar of nuts, I find myself just eating them. I won't open a bunch of 100 calorie packs though.
  • DoraBills
    Options
    I eat natural almonds. They are good and I enjoy them so much. I also eat a few walnuts daily. Hope this helps.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this for I was wondering it, too. I don't crave sugar, but adore salt and have always loved snacking on raw nuts. It amazes me though how much fat/carbs/calories are in a lot of them, though. I measured out pecans the other day and it was the equivalent to a lunch!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    1 ounce of raw almonds has 160 calories, 14g of (healthy) fat, and 6g of protein. They are also very filling to me, so although an ounce doesn't look like much, when I'm halfway through them I have to take a break!

From what I've read, raw is better than roasted. And I pick nuts that are unsalted. No, they aren't as yummy, but they serve the purpose of giving you lots of nutrients and best of all, filling you up.

Trailmix is great too, but you have to be careful with serving sizes because although a small amount is awesome for you, they do have a lot of calories and fat.
  • starboardzor
    Options

Okay, I have to check these out! Sounds so good!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love pistachios, but could eat a whole bag in one sitting. I wish they would make 100 calorie portions of those.

I know I can make my own 100 calorie portions, but when I have a bag or jar of nuts, I find myself just eating them. I won't open a bunch of 100 calorie packs though.

I have the same problem! What I do is buy those small snack sized ziploc baggies (the ones that are half the size of a sandwich bag) and using a kitchen scale I portion out my treats into single servings as soon as I open the bag. (Woot.com has a great kitchen scale on sale today, if you don't have one!) I then throw away the big container they came in and put them in a basket in my pantry. Now I have lots of small perfectly portioned bags that I can sit down and eat in front of the TV or take with me on the go. I'm less likely to head back to the pantry for another bag, although I do often THINK about it!