P90X Users: Question about Pull Up Bar

Options
I got P90X and am excited to start but I need to get a pull up bar. For those of you that are doing/have done it - what would you recommend?

Replies

• kevbrinks
    kevbrinks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to shop around. I have used the kind where you actually screw mounts into your door frame and it was quite sturdy. I currently use one of the off-brand ones that "hangs" from your door frame. If you don't have the correct width doors, with the right trim around them, with about 4 inches to spare on either side of the doorway, it won't fit and work properly. I only have one doorway in my entire house that I can use it from (out of 6 doors with trim)! You can buy either kind for ~$20. I got my screw-in one from Play it Again Sports, and my hanging one from Marshall's.

The screw in one also does not allow you to vary the grips. You would not be able to do p90x very well with it. You need to be able to do narrow grip pullups, wide grip pullups, and have grips at shoulder-width.

It might be worth it for you to invest in resistance bands and perform lat-pulldowns instead (which is still true to the program), especially if you cannot perform pullups already.
  • jmzhale
    jmzhale Posts: 186
    Options
    Interested in answers to this also, bump
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Get an "Iron Gym" on amazon or Ebay. You can find them cheap on there. That's what I have and it's awesome because it has like 4 different positions for pull ups which is what you will be doing in P90X. You can also take it down and use it as a push up bar.
  • Greyhawkk
    Greyhawkk Posts: 34
    Options
    I got the"'Power Gym" door mount....im 247lb....living in a ****ty middle east trailer.......so far i havent brought the wall down...i like it because i set it on the floor and use it for push ups as well.
  • JGCowboy
    JGCowboy Posts: 58
    Options
    I bought some some materials at Lowes and mounted mine in my garage. Thus, is doesn't require me putting any screws in my house or take a chance at scraping up my door trim. I used some angle iron and a 4' steel pipe. There is a picture in my profile of me using it, but it's not a super clear one. I mounted it right to the joists and at my heaviest 220ish it didn't even budge. Just another idea for those that don't want to spend much...
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Kev is right on the specs for the ones that hang off of the door trim - they do work very well, however if you have a door that will accommodate it and I prefer it over drilling holes in the walls or doorway.

What ever you choose, do NOT get the spring kind that you twist to fit the width of the door way your you may find yourself crashing to the floor the first time you use it! Use the bolted/mounted kind if you are unable to use one that just hangs on your door trim!
  • afoshag
    afoshag Posts: 14
    Options
    I have used the resistance bands and a pull up bar. I used just the standard pull up bar, my molding around my door will not allow for the ones that hang over the molding. Mine is actually between two walls now so I am able to adjust my grip, but I will say for awhile it was in the doorway and it was harder to switch the grips. I think my pull up bar was 10 dollars at Walmart. Good Luck with P90X, I hope to be back to soon. After some recent falls I have incurred some injuries and will b rehabing for a while!
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    We also have the Iron Gym version from Target that is very nice and allows for different grips. My hubby likes it but I have to do the assissted pullups with a chair and it's very hard to concentrate on not using your legs to push off too much. So I'm curious in how the resistance bands method works. Of course, I see them do it on the video but it looks like it is hanging from the ceiling....how would I do something like that in my house?
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    We also have the Iron Gym version from Target that is very nice and allows for different grips. My hubby likes it but I have to do the assissted pullups with a chair and it's very hard to concentrate on not using your legs to push off too much. So I'm curious in how the resistance bands method works. Of course, I see them do it on the video but it looks like it is hanging from the ceiling....how would I do something like that in my house?

Flip your resistance band over the pull up bar!
  • aprylkemper
    aprylkemper Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I knew there would be tons of good advice!! I will check out a few around town this afternoon and if all else fails, I will use the resistance bands. Seems like the Iron Gym one is something to look into. I'm chomping at the bit to get started :)
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    DUH! Why didn't I think of that?! Thanks Mmtiernan!!
  • AStout30
    AStout30 Posts: 3
    Options
    You can also get these hangers that you put the resistant band through and shut into a door.