is anyone recovering from ED?

Options
i am 25 years old and trying to win the battle against anorexia. i am struggling a right now, feeling a bit hopeless and i am looking a bit of support. my eating habits are so out of wack, and i dont want it to lead to overeating all the time. my biggest fear is that i will gain a ton of weight and get fat, like a lot of recovering women do. i am a night eater, which is both embarassing and messing with my eating patterns. i guess i would just like to know that people do recover without gaining a ton of weight and losing complete control of eating.

any help is greatly appreciated....we could start a thread if you want.
thanks

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't want to tell you what I thought ED stood for...
    sorry, i have other issues but wish you well!
  • KaleighL
    KaleighL Posts: 159
    Options
    I haven't been officially diagnosed with one but I have binged and purged once in a while and I'm trying to use this site to help me not feel guilty. I wish you luck!
  • antfefe6
    antfefe6 Posts: 32
    Options
    You might want to clear up what ED is. I thought it was something else too!!:tongue:
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I'm 26, had anorexia between then ages of 16 and 20 and bulimia from 21 to 23. Since then I've been in an EDNOS/disordered eating limbo with brief periods of anorexic behaviurs, bulimic behaviours, binge eating behaviours and (just occasionally) normal eating. I'm fed up of it and would love to learn to diet sensibly. I'm only 5'1" and my weight yo yos up to a stone constantly. Not healthy I know.

I don't know that I'd be much good at support, my 'recovery' isn't really there and is far from inspiring. But would be happy to chat and be part of a thread
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    ED = Eating disorder (in the manner of anorexia, bulimia, etc.,)
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Good for you for deciding to oversome this! I'm 23 and was bulimic for nearly 3 years, up until about a year ago.

I can relate to the hopeless, struggling feeling, though. The thing that helped me most was looking at it from an outside perspective; I started treating myself as I would a friend. Instead of getting angry with myself for over/under eating on a particular day, I gave myself a mental pat on the back and reminded myself that tomorrow was another day.

Give yourself a break; habits are heard to break. Congratulate yourself for taking steps in the right direction-- even a small success is still a success!

Chin up, and feel free to friend me if you'd like. :)
  • lraymond558
    Options
    this site is totally awesome because if you set your caloric daily intake to 1200 calories per day but want to eat more, you can just exercise and voila you are good to go ! and it gets mad at you when you complete your food diary and you are under 1200 calories lol. it is like having your mom monitor every calorie you put in and take out of your body. and really, if you are bulimic you cant measure that at all in terms of calories so you are only fooling yourself while using this site ! today in class, i feel i should share, a teacher taught us that there comes a point of no return where you are so malnourished and have yo yo'd so badly that your body is a wreck and there is no hope for it at all. keep that in mind. and also, like the other lady said... remember that if your friend was too overweight or too underweight, chances are youd accept her as is. realize that there are humans like that in this world and the ones who judge you based on your weight dont count. everytime you look into the mirror and grimace at what you think you see, take a step back and close your eyes. when you re open them, tell yourself five things you genuinely like about your appearance. it will be hard at first but is an awesome technique.

good luck :)
  • i_Dance
    i_Dance Posts: 30
    Options
    I'm not much help considering i'm not in recovery yet.
    I had BED for 2 years, Now I am EDNOS with anorectic tendencies.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Female Athlete Triad in college. Cruel joke that the acronym for that one is FAT?? I would eat 300-400 calories on non-training days, and think it was a good day! Sad. I like MFP because it warns me if I ever go below 1200. I'm now working on finding my balance - not bingeing on food or over exercising.

Sometimes it's hard to be on MFP because I look at all the inspirational stories with significant weight loss and almost feel vain for being here, because I want to lose 10 lbs... but the support and motivation this website gives you is priceless. Regardless of the amount of weight people should lose, or shouldn't lose - it helps to get everyone to their healthiest self.
  • kabullard
    kabullard Posts: 41
    Options
    I never have been.....but you all have touched my hearts!!! I pray that God helps you through your journey and helps you see that you are all beautiful the way he made you and that being healthy is more important than fitting into those size 2 jeans :) You're all on the right track by being on here; there's so much accountability!
  • cachestash
    Options
    I'm also struggling with disordered eating. Still trying to lose weight, but trying as hard as I can to stay sane about it. I would love to connect with others who are in the same boat as me!
  • Jackie_Snape80
    Options
    I've been mostly EDNOS, but now I'm borderline anorexic. Not "officially" diagnosed, but I was reccomended and sent to a therapist for it...I guess that counts.

I'm trying to let myself reach out for some additional support...as hard as it is for me(Ed hates other people getting involved). I've been doing well keeping my intake closer to the bare minimum, and almost always at/above it. I'll be starting college next Monday and I'm scared Ed will start calling me again. I don't think I can go back to college on my own again...that's what made Ed come out from where he was hiding in the first place. I'll probably slip up and I may have a relapse day or two, but I'm trying my best to reach out and achieve full recovery(even on days when Ed tells me that I'm "not *that* sick" or that I'm "all better now").

I'd love to friend up with anyone....if you want