Does decaffeinated tea count as water?

Replies

• syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Any liquid that has change color is no longer water.. :/
  • dtdemarcus
    Options
    I would count it. It is water just has some herbs in it.
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I count my intake of green tea as water if I have not drank my 8 cups of water for the day. If I have consumed water then I log the entry along with coffee.

This is of course raw tea with no sugar or honey, etc.
  • normaceccacci
    Options
    Yes it does! I started drinking green tea 3 weeks ago and I noticed im not bloated. I feel good inside!:smile:
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    yes!!!
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. There is water in it. But use your common sense. Is it dehydrating you more than hydrating you?

But all of that aside, why does it matter? You should be drinking plenty of water without having to split hairs about what counts as water or not.

DRINK WATER.

Get a big water bottle (1 liter or more), and refill/drain it at least three times over the course of each day.

Keep it with you wherever you go,and sip on it. It's really not that hard.

DRINK WATER.

=)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I count my intake of green tea as water if I have not drank my 8 cups of water for the day. If I have consumed water then I log the entry along with coffee.

This is of course raw tea with no sugar or honey, etc.

Right, just hot water and a decaf tea bag, nothing added. That's what I meant. :)
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Yes, you may count it as water if it is decaffeinated and has no added sugar. :) The tea doesn't add caloric value and since it doesn't have caffeine it won't have a diuretic effect. Tea contains tannins though which may interfere with iron absorption so I don't recommend tea with meals. They are best enjoyed between meals. :)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. There is water in it. But use your common sense. Is it dehydrating you more than hydrating you?

But all of that aside, why does it matter? You should be drinking plenty of water without having to split hairs about what counts as water or not.

DRINK WATER.

Get a big water bottle (1 liter or more), and refill/drain it at least three times over the course of each day.

Keep it with you wherever you go,and sip on it. It's really not that hard.

DRINK WATER.

=)

Honey, relax. :) I do drink plenty of water....10-12 cups a day in fact. I was only curious, because I just decided to have a cup of tea (which I rarely do).

But, why would it/how could it dehydrate me if it's decaffeinated?
  • cast59
    cast59 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I count it. Because there is no caffeine Not sure if i should.
    I dont count it when i drink caffeinated coffee or tea though because the caffeine robs some of the water from you.
    Maybe somebody with more insight can help. Good luck
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    its water in my book.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes. It is all water with a tea bag added. And no caffeine means no diuretic to make you pee more.

I only count water towards my 64oz per day. Anything more that is a bonus!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. I heard a nutritionist say that we actually get a lot of our water from FOODS (hello have you eaten iceburg lettuce lately... its nothing BUT water... and they don't call is WATERmelon for nothing!)

As long as it doens't contain added sugars, caffeine or carbonation it can be counted as water!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I agree 100% with the beginning part of this. If it dehydrates you, it doesn't count. But decaf shouldn't dehydrate you, so I'd count it.

I count all beverages as water (even if there are calories, then I just count those too) UNLESS they contain caffeine or alcohol (then I only count the calories, if there are any).
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i believe water is water...
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    i believe water is water...

I believe the same :D
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    Dietician told me anything that doesn't have caffeine or sugar is water :) This includes teas and the little water flavoring packets, it's all counted as water!