Tracking Protein

Options
Gurr...Im getting frustrated...I have talked to two people (reliable people who know a lot about dieting/strength training/weight loss/weight gain etc etc etc) and both have said you should have 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh (especially if you are working out)....So why does MFP have the bar set SO low? Does anyone else have any problems, comments, or could shine some light on this whole situation?!!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I work so hard at trying to hit my protein counts (at least over 100) each day - I drink shakes because if I try to eat that much protein in texture form I gag. Everyone else makes it look so easy!!
  • A_shelton316
    A_shelton316 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I always seem to go over on my protein but I just don't worrie about it. :smile:
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Interested in the responses too.
    I lift weights and do lats of cardio. So when it comes to protein, I am over almost everyday. I do not worry about though
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you at 15% of total calories, a balanced diet consist of protein from 10-30%, 20% or more if you do resistance training. You can manually change these amounts to better suit your goals. Go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you at 15% of total calories, a balanced diet consist of protein from 10-30%, 20% or more if you do resistance training. You can manually change these amounts to better suit your goals. Go to goals, click change goals, select custom, make your changes then click save changes.

How do I know if Im getting too much too little then though?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Everyone is different but as long as you are getting what MFP sets you should be getting enough, unless you workout hard in which I would suggest increasing your goal to 20 or 25%.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Everyone is different but as long as you are getting what MFP sets you should be getting enough, unless you workout hard in which I would suggest increasing your goal to 20 or 25%.

Ok...Good stuff, Im revamping my workout routines (as the weather is better outside...I live in Cleveland, Ohio) so that I will be working out 4-5 times a week (previous 2-3), including lots of circuit training, lifting, and different styles of cardio, so I think I will definitely bump up my protein. Thanks for your advice!

Before, I was pretty much going over my protein if I had any chicken or salmon along with my organic protein shake.