Stressing out.....

Options
I just got off the phone with my husband and work right now for him is starting to become slow. He was working for a friend in his painting business but now his friend said he isn't sure about work for the next few weeks. I jsut scares me because we need this income to pay our bills.

He is trying to start up his own handyman buisness which I know he would be great at but I don't know how busy he will become with it and how to really get it started. You need to advertise for 1 and we just don't have a lot of extra money to do that.

I'm also afraid, that because I"m stressing over money it will start to effect my diet. We've been down this road before and I REALLY don't want to go down it again. I feel :sick: over it really. I had to force down my lunch because I knew I needed to eat but didn't want to.

Replies

• Jaccilatt5
    Jaccilatt5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat....me and my husband just found out that we OWE the IRS $8100!! We were barely above water as it was and now this...im just trying to not let this completely screw my diet. : ( If you find a way to stay positive and not let it get you down please let me know!
  • charlottetwitchell
    charlottetwitchell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband is unemployed right now and I have the opposite affect. I eat everything in sight. I have decided that God will take care of us. You have to have a positive outlook which is very hard. When you can do this then all will work out
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    My father has been unemployed for almost 2 years now. I think there are alottttt of people in the same situation. It sucks
  • mfiggs
    mfiggs Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I totally stress out about money too, but I have been getting a lot better about it lately. I always try to remember that God will never give me more than I can handle on my shoulders and that everything will work out some way or another! My husband has been trying to teach me to be this way ever since we first met 7 years ago...and I am just now starting to catch on! So, please just relax, and take it as it comes because life is too short to stress! Keep ur head up:)
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish you and hubby at the luck in the work with teh new business.

as for money remember almost anyone will work with you on a paymnet plan...espically doctors offices! have a serious chat with Hubbay about what you can cut out. maybe cable, maybe eating out. I know easier said than done. Planning meals ahead of tiem my help with groceries. whole chickenn and veggis that arnt; cut and cleaned are cheeper. Take your calculator to teh grocery store.

Perhaps you already know and do all this and I hope I am not giving advice where it is not wanted. but these are thing I have had to do to make ends meet so I hope even one suggestion helps. I wish you the best of luck. If you need someone to vent to feel free to freind me.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments.

I know it doesn't help to stress, but when things happen like this it brings up old memories from a few years back. My husband used to have his own kitchen and cabinet business and after 9 years had to close the doors because of lack of business when the economy turned bad to worse. We know it was a specalized business because it strictly was just kitchens and bath and no room for repeat customers. And because of this we almost lost our home and had to claim bankruptcy. :sick:

We know a handyman business gives people the opportunity to use his skills again and again, which is great, we just need to get it going and not keep waiting (we were holding off because of the work with his friend).

We got a nice lump sum back from taxes which is great, but what we had planned to use it for will be put on the back burner and a large part of it will be put into savings for the future. I thank god for blessing us with amount we got back and just hope we use it well and not waste it.

Thanks again for letting me vent. You guys are awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i'm sort of unemployed too right now - i have an awesome part-time gig as a nanny, but it barely keeps us above water with my husband's teaching salary! but do you know what i say? screw money! keep your rent and utilities going, but everything else can bite me! we make do for the most part, but when we get into a fix, i have to adopt that mentality, because if there isn't a damn thing to be done about it, there is no sense in spending all of your energy wishing there was. for me at least, chewing on things we can't control just builds up this incredible negativity that i can't deal with. so i say, SCREW IT!

one thing we're learned is that money is over-rated. here's my current financial philosophy: if we live long enough, we'll handle it. if we die young, it ain't going to matter anyway!

chin up!

[hugs]