Chocolate milk after work-out...

Options
I have been using chocolate milk as my after workout drink. I usually just do a cup of skim milk with sugar free Hershey's sugar free syrup. Should I be using 2% milk with regular Hershey's syrup or is what I am doing ok?

Replies

• 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Um, you can do much better. I personally wouldn't drink this.
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Chocolate milk is great for runners. I'd go with skim milk, and don't forget to add protein powder to your drink. To make it even healthier, buy some chocolate whey protein instead of using chocolate syrup, because the sugar substitutes used are not the healthiest.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In a pinch it is ok. It has the right mix of carbs and protein. After a tough workout you need carbs for replace the glycogen your muscles just burned so this will do that for you. I'd go look for soem true recovery drinks, like Accelerade or the P90X REsults and REcovery Formula.

Comsume this right after your workout, then about an hour later have some protein. You body doesn't need the protein hafter a workout, it needs the carbs and so does your brain.

tim
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I have heard that chocolate milk is a great after work out drink. I say stick with the skim for less calories, unless you have trouble eating back your exercise calories.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    a scoop of chocolate protein powder in skimmed milk would be even better !

Unless you are low on fat in your diet no need to switch to 2%
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have been using chocolate milk as my after workout drink. I usually just do a cup of skim milk with sugar free Hershey's sugar free syrup. Should I be using 2% milk with regular Hershey's syrup or is what I am doing ok?

That is fine. I use skim milk and the regular syrup since I need the calories but either way, chocolate milk is a GREAT post-workout drink.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've read on the boards that chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink. I started drinking it after my hard workouts a few weeks ago, but I drink 1 cup of chocolate almond milk.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    I've read on the boards that chocolate milk is a good post-workout drink. I started drinking it after my hard workouts a few weeks ago, but I drink 1 cup of chocolate almond milk.

That sounds like a plan for me! Thank you.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    From http://www.chocolatemilk.com/

Chocolate Milk As A Recovery Drink
    It is extremely important to refuel after a workout, particularly within the first fifteen minutes after completing any form of physical exercise. Aerobic exercises and running deplete muscle energy as they are considered strenuous activities. Studies have shown that chocolate milk is a great recovery drink as it is less expensive than other recovery beverages or powders.

Endurox R4, the most popular recovery powder on the market for instance, when broken down is approximately three times more expensive than chocolate milk according to serving size and cost of each item. Therefore it seems the smartest and tastiest way to recover with optimal nutritional benefits and cost-wise would be to drink chocolate milk as a recovery drink after exercise.

There are plenty of other recovery aids out there on the market and the most popular are Gatorade and PowerAde when it comes to liquid beverages. But studies have shown that chocolate milk works just the same as these mass marketed drinks and even works better in other factors. Studies have also shown that those who drank Gatorade conducted in research by Indiana State University that the citric acid in Gatorade can cause heartburn whereas with chocolate milk you don’t have to worry about that.

The caffeine in chocolate has also been noted to decrease fatigue which occurs post-workout. Drinking chocolate milk helps aid in recovery of fatigued muscles as well as giving you a mental boost so you don’t hit a wall. A Canadian study shows that often times people do not exercise because of the exhaustion they feel afterward. This is due to improper refueling and over exertion. But when those people were aided with proper therapy, they began to exercise when given the right recovery aids, such as chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk contains several elements that make it the optimal recovery drink after running. Endorphins help to lift mood and reduce pain that helps to increase the body’s ability to heal itself. Chocolate itself contains tryptophan which is an essential amino acid aiding in the production of serotonin, a natural stress reducer, and enables the body to relax. Tense muscles cause aches and pain and tight muscles are often followed by exercise. It is essentially important to help these muscles to relax and regain their strength allowing them to revitalize with the natural ingredients found in chocolate milk.

Chocolate milk also contains vitamin A, B, D, and E. Vitamin A has been linked to help fight heart disease, but too much of this can cause health problems as it is fat-soluble meaning it is stored in the body’s fat. This vitamin also helps aid in vision, most notably light adjustments that help your pupil dilate when moving from a light area to a dark area, for example coming in from outside.

Vitamin B is the source of energy function. It aids the body in converting carbohydrates in glucose. Any lack in this vitamin can cause fatigue and lethargy. Vitamin B also is a needed vitamin in the proper functioning of the nervous system, specifically brain function. It is water-soluble which means excess is released through the urine which is why high doses of this vitamin are needed daily.

Vitamin D is a very important vitamin for the body. It helps in balancing your calcium level which is needed for strong bones, especially as you age. Studies have shown that Vitamin D also plays a role in preventing several types of cancer such as Alzheimer’s, Diabetes, and Rheumatoid Arthritis to name a few. It also decreases the chances of Osteoporosis. Vitamin D is also one of the only vitamins naturally produced by the body through sun exposure.

It is very important that enough vitamin D is taken in for a healthy diet, especially as you get older. Vitamin E is also a very important vitamin. It helps protect against skin cancer and strengthen the skin’s barrier function. It is essential to a healthy diet as it also prevents breast cancer, prostate cancer, and regulates vitamin A intake. It is also linked to decreasing the chances of blood clots, especially individuals with diabetes.

These vitamins which are found in chocolate milk not only provide a great recovery drink, but also help your body fight off diseases and build strong bones in order to live longer. Chocolate milk builds your body up where many sports drink draw the line. This is especially important as endurance exercises such as aerobics and running break your body down. These vitamins and nutritional benefits help to keep your body going farther down the line in the process of aging where these exercises may take a toll.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's great... not only for post workout drink but also helps curb that sweet tooth (at least for me!)
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I tried this for the first time yesterday. It killed any and all after workout hungry! Held me over in till dinner! Will be using chocolate milk more often!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    funny how an article about chocolate milk FROM chocolatemilk.com is hyping chocolate milk.

personally i want more protein immediately post workout.
  • runninginplace
    runninginplace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    From http://www.chocolatemilk.com/

Chocolate Milk As A Recovery Drink

Nice article, thanks for posting!
    I'll have to try this after a treadmill session.
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    I use Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk. It is thicker and taste's better than regular (not a fan of the taste of Hershey's). I've heard Ovaltine is a good one to use too.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    funny how an article about chocolate milk FROM chocolatemilk.com is hyping chocolate milk.

personally i want more protein immediately post workout.
    Add whey protein. :) Choc milk is a legitimate post-workout drink, and there are a lot more studies that back this article up. :)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    I tried this for the first time yesterday. It killed any and all after workout hungry! Held me over in till dinner! Will be using chocolate milk more often!

That is great to know!

ETA - I probably would go with Silk since I hate milk.