cliff bars and luna bars

Options
eleanoreb
eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
I have just recently started trying out some of these power bars, post intense workouts..so far I'm finding they keep me full for a long time.

Anyone else try these? What are your experiences?

I also love fiber 1 granola bars..but I find they don't keep you full as long..any other favorites?

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein bars.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Me too! These are yummy and very filling!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Me too! These are yummy and very filling!
  • starboardzor
    Options
    Cliff Builders Protein Bars. LOVE them! I only eat half a bar at a time.. usually one half earlier in the day and the other half later. Mint Chocolate is my favorite flavor.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to see what others choose as well. I've been consuming Cliff bars as mid-morning or mid-afternoon snacks, but I'm sure there are healthier options out there.
  • whitec3
    whitec3 Posts: 5
    Options
    Luna bars are so good! Especially if you like sweets. They have a caramel nut brownie and a chocolate mint...delicious. They are good for you too- lots of vitamins, fiber, and protein! They are only about 160-180 calories, depending on the flavor.

I eat them as a mid morning snack or to hold off hunger if I'm having a late dinner.
  • oo3menace
    Options
    I recently started using the Clif Builder's bars as a mid morning snack and I absolutely love them. All natural, mostly organic ingredients, 20 grams of protein...what's not to love? I've tried both the peanut butter and chocolate ones and they're both tasty, with peanut butter being slightly more delicious.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I think they're ok. Usually pretty high in sugar. If I'm going out somewhere, or on a long motorcycle ride with my friends, I'll pack a few in my bag to use as "emergency food rations" while the rest eat Jack in the Box or something :laugh: . There are far worse things you can eat than bars, but I don't personally have them on the "ok to eat every day list".
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I like Lara Bars the best. I use them when I'm backpacking and need a boost of protein and calories. The best part is that they are all natural with only a few ingredients that I can recognize. Like Taso, I don't eat them regularly, only when I'm out and need them.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I pack luna bars or fiber plus bars as airplane food. Easy to transport, little garbage, and way less expensive and more satisfying than what I could buy in the airport...

Not a daily food, but a candylike substitute for real food... (for instance, I had a fiber bar instead of real food for breakfast today since I woke up 15 minutes before I was supposed to be at work and live 15 minutes away....)
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars break down something like this:

Calories 180.0
    Total Fat 5.0g
    Saturated Fat 3.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Cholesterol 10.0 mg
    Sodium 130.0 mg
    Potassium 20.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
    Sugars 2.0 g
    Protein 19.0 g

With 2grams of sugar for 19grams of protein I don't have any problems eating them when ever I need some quick food (with water too).

My favs are the peanut butter and the smores bars.

:drinker:
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    As strange as this may sound, bars are kind of a trigger food for me- I'm almost never satisfied and end up wanting more. I stick to shakes for my post workout or go to energy if I am out and about and don't have access to healthy food.

My friends and family joke, because I almost always have one in my purse. :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars break down something like this:

*snip*

That does seem quite good! Obviously not all bars are created equal.
  • ZebraHead
    Options
    As strange as this may sound, bars are kind of a trigger food for me- I'm almost never satisfied and end up wanting more. I stick to shakes for my post workout or go to energy if I am out and about and don't have access to healthy food.

My friends and family joke, because I almost always have one in my purse. :)

Vodka's my trigger food. :laugh:
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sweet, I must try this pure protein bar!! looks awesome.. and yes i know, definitely won't have bars every day!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    Def Pure Protein..I love pure protein revolution peanut butter caramel (it's like a snickers bar). I do like Met-Rx as an occasional meal replacement. I absolutely LOVE Doctor's Carbrite protein bars. They can be a bit difficult to find but are amazing. Under 200 calories a bar, Net between 0-2.5 net carbs and taste decent. So far the only place I get them are from the website and at the GNC in the port authority bus terminal. Also the Atkins bars are decent as well, they came out with so many more varieties that it keeps it interesting!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am a Zone Bar consumer myself, with an occasional Clif Bar thrown in the mix.

I was introduced to the Zone Bar while on the 40-30-30 diet. The Almond, Raisin, Biscotti bar is my favorite. They are yummy.

However, they do have 220 calories per bar. So, I usually only eat them on workout days or as a full meal replacement.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love the mini-Luna bars! They're only 80 cals. each and a perfect snack at work since we csn't eat any "messy" food at our desk (including fruit since the refuse stinks up the garbage cans that are seldom emptied!). And for me, most importantly, they're vegan and wheat free. When the boss isn't around I'll senak in a banana, but when I work weekdays I'll have one mini Luna for my snack 'tween 1st meal and second.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I love the Zone mint chocolate bars, but they are only 15 grams of proten, and pretty high in sugar. Pure protein are ok with 20 grams of protein, but I usually eat the premium protein bars with 30 grams of protein. I buy them at Sam's or Costco. I haven't found a bar that has stuck to me for very long though. I only use them in emergencies, like when I'm at work, and can't get to the lunchroom for another couple of hours.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    I like the Cliff and Luna bars because I can identify all the ingredients, and there's no whey protein (whey protein and I DO NOT get along...). I don't eat them often, but I find them incredibly handy when I'm really busy or traveling.

Cliff also makes my favorite distance-running snack - ShotBloks. Like gummy bears for grown ups, and they don't make me ill like gus....