Nutrition-related: Anyone garden?

Options
I'm in New England, so I will be able to start planting some things by the end of next month. Yay!

I usually have the staples like tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, lettuces/chard and peppers. I'm hoping to also have an entire spice area, too, so that will hopefully drastically cut my need/desire for butter/salt/all those bad things. ;)

What does everyone else plant? I'm looking for some yummy ideas so I stay on track!

Replies

• sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm on the westcoast, so I'll be starting up gardening this week, thank god!!

We always like to plant things like potatoes, corn, peas, green onions, tomatoes, peppers, cilantro, carrots, etc. We also have some strawberry and blueberry plants and rhubard that we are growing as well. As for spices, we like basil, thyme, sage, and I think I'm also gonna try some dill this year because I love it.

Good luck with your gardening!!
  • Cherrycandy
    Cherrycandy Posts: 200
    Options
    Im not sure if they have them there, but the BEST tomatoes I have ever tasted were yellow and red, striped like a tiger. They were very low in acid (so no heartburn) and the sweetest tomatoes ever! Just in case you want a different variety of tomato. :)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes! Our ground is ready and we are planting in a few days. We will have tomatoes, squah, cucumbers, okra, green beans (I think?), peas and it seems like something else too. I forget. But I can't wait!!!!
  • mom2claudia
    Options
    Dill grows fairly easily (at least here it does). The only thing I've found is that it goes to seed rather quickly. But it tastes SOOO much better than store-bought.

I should plant cilantro again. Homemade salsa sounds so good right now! It goes well in salads, too.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I hope to start a garden when we move into our new house. We close April 27th. I hope that's not too late to plant in VA. We might only do rosemary, basil and other herbs this year and add tomato, pepper etc in the summer.

My grandfater used to grow his own cucumbers and make pickles. I hope to do this one day as well.

Soy beans or peanuts will help keep your soil full of nutrients.

Good Luck growing :)
  • shelli1982
    shelli1982 Posts: 133
    Options
    Hey! i'm in New England too (Vermont) and I just started my pepper and tomato seedlings last weekend, so excited! I was looking at new stuff to try this year, I bought some seeds for Spaghetti Squash because everyone here says it's pretty good.. also another kind, I think it's called Delicata or something like that. I probably totally spelled it wrong :P I also do yellow tomatoes, less acid and super sweet! YUM!

We do staples like tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc. I tried onions last year, that went well! My absolutely favorite though has to be sweet corn grown in the garden. I've never had better corn than that!!

The herb garden is a great idea. I LOVE going out and picking basil to make little capresse salads with, or adding dill to roasted potatoes, etc. I definitely noticed I use less salt when I have fresh herbs. We do cilantro, basil (green and purple, for color), garlic chives, dill, parsley, thyme, etc... it's really a great way to cook fresh! I also just bought a book from Williams Sonoma about cooking from the "Farmers Market".. if you want, add me, and if I see any great recipes i'll send them your way !!!

Sorry to ramble but i'm super excited about the garden, good luck!
  • dhiggins8
    dhiggins8 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Dill grows fairly easily (at least here it does). The only thing I've found is that it goes to seed rather quickly. But it tastes SOOO much better than store-bought.

I should plant cilantro again. Homemade salsa sounds so good right now! It goes well in salads, too.

you are making me hungry. mmmmmm cilantro I make a good brushetta spanish style I have not made it in a while and have not put it to the recipe test to see what the cals are.
  • mnkarp
    mnkarp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm in the southeast and joined an organic CSA this year so not a huge garden for me. But the fresh herbs are always on my list - basil, lemon thyme, oregano, chives, dill. I'm thinking of starting an asparagus patch and some strawberries (impossible to find organic berries at the local farms). Tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers too.
  • Lele71
    Lele71 Posts: 76
    Options
    My brother owns the land across the street from me and last year we planted tomatos,eggplant, butternut squash, green peppers, and zuccini. We also tried to grown corn, but that didn't work out. This year I am hoping to grow some fresh herbs too.