eating your exercise calories

msk4
msk4 Posts: 10 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I NEED HELP! I am so confused . Do you eat the calories you burn or not. I didn't think you were supposed to b/c thats the whole point of working out is to burn calories.
thanks

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    I do, and I've been losing weight, I use my exercise calories to allow myself tasty treats - as long as you are under your calorie goal you will lose weight!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Yes. It is actually the only way to meet your goal (not exceed but meet) The reason being is MFP bases your weekly loss goal as if you didn't workout. If you don't eat the calories back your daily caloric deficit is larger than you intended (your goal) To lose 1lb/week MFP gives you a daily deficit of 500 calories, if you burn 600 from working out your deficit is now 1100 (500+600) so in order to meet your goal of 500 your would have to eat the 600 back.

If MFP gives you 1400 cals/day, eating 1400 and not working out is the same as eating 2000 and burning 600 from working out. The both net 1400 (2000-600)

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    This is confusing for a lot of people. Here's the explination I give:

The basic idea is that MFP works a bit differently than most calorie/point counters. Most nutrition plans incorporate workouts into your overall activity level- ie I have a desk job, but if I workout 5 days a week most plans would put me at "lightly active". This would figure into my daily calorie goal - so most nutritionists would probably recommend that I eat 1500-1800 calories everyday, regardless of my workout. MFP has you manually account for specific workouts or anything outside your normal level of activity, so you get a lower "starting goal" everyday (so you continue to lose regardless of whether or not you workout), but when you workout more, you should be eating more.

This is where NET calories come into play. There is an equation on your homepage:

GOAL FOOD -(minus) EXERCISE =(equals) NET

Your goal, as far as MFP is set up, should be to get your NET calories to match your GOAL calories. The NET calories are a way of taking exercise into account, so that you eat enough to fuel your workout.

This has in turn become known as "eating your exercise calories" and is highly controversial because people believe that less calories = higher weight loss. But for many, if you do not eat enough on a daily basis, your body begins to shut down your metabolism so as to stave off possible hunger/starvation not only effectively stopping loss but also causing gains anytime one goes even minimally over on calories.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    I used to fight this over and over again. I would eat my allowed 1300 calories without paying attenion to the NET number and was getting no results. But for some reason it clicked in my stubborn brain that I need to eat more. Once I started eating into my exercise calories, things started to happen!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    :wink: What Taso said.
  • erickirb
    This is confusing for a lot of people. Here's the explination I give:

The basic idea is that MFP works a bit differently than most calorie/point counters. Most nutrition plans incorporate workouts into your overall activity level- ie I have a desk job, but if I workout 5 days a week most plans would put me at "lightly active". This would figure into my daily calorie goal - so most nutritionists would probably recommend that I eat 1500-1800 calories everyday, regardless of my workout. MFP has you manually account for specific workouts or anything outside your normal level of activity, so you get a lower "starting goal" everyday (so you continue to lose regardless of whether or not you workout), but when you workout more, you should be eating more.

This is where NET calories come into play. There is an equation on your homepage:

GOAL FOOD -(minus) EXERCISE =(equals) NET

Your goal, as far as MFP is set up, should be to get your NET calories to match your GOAL calories. The NET calories are a way of taking exercise into account, so that you eat enough to fuel your workout.

This has in turn become known as "eating your exercise calories" and is highly controversial because people believe that less calories = higher weight loss. But for many, if you do not eat enough on a daily basis, your body begins to shut down your metabolism so as to stave off possible hunger/starvation not only effectively stopping loss but also causing gains anytime one goes even minimally over on calories.

Well put
  • nmp1994
    nmp1994 Posts: 96
    I don't eat mine, but i have lots of weight to lose! I also think most of the listings for cals burned are high?! Anyone else finding that...
  • vickyeileen
    vickyeileen Posts: 2 Member
    I believe that MFP is a great site but I also believe the calories you get back from exercise are overstated by quite a bit. Exercising should allow you to have more than your allowable calories but I would cut the amount in half (at least) -
  • erickirb
    I believe that MFP is a great site but I also believe the calories you get back from exercise are overstated by quite a bit. Exercising should allow you to have more than your allowable calories but I would cut the amount in half (at least) -

Use a HRM to calculate calories burned more accurately instead of relying on MFP's generic calculations
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    I think this is the most asked question on these boards. I think it's because everyone forgets that MFP builds in a calorie deficit for weight loss from the start so if you don't eat your exercise calories, you basically will have a "double deficit". You need these calories to fuel your workouts. I don't always eat ALL of mine back because I don't eat when I'm not hungry.
  • Thank you for posting this!
  • SarcasticKliker
    SarcasticKliker Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for posting this question. I was also confused about this! Thanks to all that clarified this for me!
  • Just as a note to those of you wondering about this, not only do I eat the calories that I'm credited with burning during my exercise, but so should you. The reason is because of how your body reacts to different levels of calorie deficits. If you use the intended model of an approximate 500 calorie deficit per day you can lose weight the healthy way and have a better chance of keeping it off once you reach your goal. Unfortunately some people think and would tell you that crash diets or severely low calorie diets can help you reach your goal faster. And while you may hit a goal number faster (and I emphasize might) you will almost certainly regain the weight very quickly. And the reason that I emphasized "might" in my previous statement is because your body can react to a significant calorie deficit by switching to what we call in the nutrition field as "Starvation Mode". When this happens your body will actually retain food that you eat and convert a higher amount of your caloric intake to fat because fat is the most efficient way to store energy. It's a defense mechanism that your body naturally uses to stop you from starving to death (either voluntarily or involunarily). It's part of the reason why when you see pictures of starving children in Africa they have pronounced bellies. Their bodies store everything as fat, as well as breaking down any muscle tissue they have to convert that protein based tissue into fat.

So in short, as someone in the health and fitness field, I highly recommend you not go significantly below your recommended goal on MFP and that includes eating your calories that you burn with exercise. The system will work, just be patient and let it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member

Use a HRM to calculate calories burned more accurately instead of relying on MFP's generic calculations

I've found that my HRM actually reports a higher burn than MFP's calculations much of the time. I don't have one with a chest strap, so it's not as accurate, but still, I think that MFP's calculations are generally pretty modest.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    BAHAHAHAHAA I cant believe I actually copied it and pasted it to find out what it said..........:noway: :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Just as a note to those of you wondering about this, not only do I eat the calories that I'm credited with burning during my exercise, but so should you. The reason is because of how your body reacts to different levels of calorie deficits. If you use the intended model of an approximate 500 calorie deficit per day you can lose weight the healthy way and have a better chance of keeping it off once you reach your goal. Unfortunately some people think and would tell you that crash diets or severely low calorie diets can help you reach your goal faster. And while you may hit a goal number faster (and I emphasize might) you will almost certainly regain the weight very quickly. And the reason that I emphasized "might" in my previous statement is because your body can react to a significant calorie deficit by switching to what we call in the nutrition field as "Starvation Mode". When this happens your body will actually retain food that you eat and convert a higher amount of your caloric intake to fat because fat is the most efficient way to store energy. It's a defense mechanism that your body naturally uses to stop you from starving to death (either voluntarily or involunarily). It's part of the reason why when you see pictures of starving children in Africa they have pronounced bellies. Their bodies store everything as fat, as well as breaking down any muscle tissue they have to convert that protein based tissue into fat.

So in short, as someone in the health and fitness field, I highly recommend you not go significantly below your recommended goal on MFP and that includes eating your calories that you burn with exercise. The system will work, just be patient and let it.

This has nothing really to do with exercise calories, but I would like to correct some slight misinformation stated in the above quote.

The belly you see on children starving in Africa and other underfed nations is a result of a build up of peritoneal cavity fluid, caused by a SEVERE protein deficiency. The body cannibalizes non-essential protein (e.g arm/leg muscle) in order to feed the brain and organs. When that runs out there simply isn't enough of a particular essential protein, which results in capillary leakage into the stomach cavity- which gives the big bellied, thin arms and leg look. The term associated with this reaction is Kwashiorkor. The pronounced belly is not stored fat.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Just as a note to those of you wondering about this, not only do I eat the calories that I'm credited with burning during my exercise, but so should you. The reason is because of how your body reacts to different levels of calorie deficits. If you use the intended model of an approximate 500 calorie deficit per day you can lose weight the healthy way and have a better chance of keeping it off once you reach your goal. Unfortunately some people think and would tell you that crash diets or severely low calorie diets can help you reach your goal faster. And while you may hit a goal number faster (and I emphasize might) you will almost certainly regain the weight very quickly. And the reason that I emphasized "might" in my previous statement is because your body can react to a significant calorie deficit by switching to what we call in the nutrition field as "Starvation Mode". When this happens your body will actually retain food that you eat and convert a higher amount of your caloric intake to fat because fat is the most efficient way to store energy. It's a defense mechanism that your body naturally uses to stop you from starving to death (either voluntarily or involunarily). It's part of the reason why when you see pictures of starving children in Africa they have pronounced bellies. Their bodies store everything as fat, as well as breaking down any muscle tissue they have to convert that protein based tissue into fat.

This has nothing really to do with exercise calories, but I would like to correct some slight misinformation stated in the above quote.

The belly you see on children starving in Africa and other underfed nations is a result of a build up of peritoneal cavity fluid, caused by a SEVERE protein deficiency. The body cannibalizes non-essential protein (e.g arm/leg muscle) in order to feed the brain and organs. When that runs out there simply isn't enough of a particular essential protein, which results in capillary leakage into the stomach cavity- which gives the big bellied, thin arms and leg look. The term associated with this reaction is Kwashiorkor. The pronounced belly is not stored fat.

Excellent retort, Nan. Proper information is highly regarded. Unfortunately, I think it may stop with my appreciation, and perhaps a handful of others. But, I give you the high five of the week. *HIGH FIVE!* :happy: :love:
This discussion has been closed.