Carbs

Options
I have been seeing someone at the doctors for the past 3 weeks about healthy eating and he said the best way to lose weight is not to eat carbs after lunch which I struggled with but tried really hard to do anyway but since doing that I lost near enough no weight. Then since last friday I started having carbs again and lost a pound 2 days later so i'm not sure whether to just carry on eating carbs at dinner time or not! Was getting a bit frustrating that after 2-3 weeks i'd not lost anything but put 2 pounds back on even with doing quite a bit of exercise!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is calories that matter more than the form, as long as they are healthy, fats, carbs, proteins, you will be fine.
  • dababers
    dababers Posts: 135
    Options
    Healthy carbs are a necessary part of a good diet. The carbs are the part of your diet that give your body the energy to move. As long as your carbs are good carbs, and they fit into your calorie intake...go ahead and enjoy. It is key, however, not to eat a really large meal shortly before bed. So, it is important to watch your dinner calories and those of the snacks/desserts that might follow. The body doesn't really care when the carbs come in, as long as you eat them.
  • larsonp
    larsonp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is giving out advice like that, I'd seek a new doctor.

It's not much different than "don't eat after 8PM" "Don't eat fatty foods" "Drink at least 8 glasses of water to lose weight" "Don't eat any carbs" "don't eat any meats" ..... etc. The list of lousy advice goes on an on.

I'm with Eric, for sure. It's the number of calories that matters, not the form or even the "when".

That said,... eat healthy foods, because while it's possible to lose weight eating nothing but twinkies, it's not a good nutrition plan.
  • StephanieConnelly
    Options
    Thanks for that I don't know why but I felt like I should be following what I was told and felt bad for not keeping it up but mostly I do stick within my daily allowances and don't usually eat too late or anything. Thanks! :-)
  • Serchr21
    Serchr21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Carbs are energy, that's how I look at it. You've got to have enough carbs in your diet. Who would want to fatigue too quick in the gym? If you exercise, your going to get the extra calorie credits anyway, as they are calories that you would not have otherwise burned throughout your day. To answer your question, I consume the most carbs of any meal the whole day at breakfast (before workout). Logically, you would want those energy blocks at the beginning of the day, then you have the rest of the day to burn them off. *Note: "When" is not super important...but this technique helps me. Healthy carbs in the system = much better workouts. Thats my point of view anyway. Hope it helps.
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    While I agree in part with some of the other responses there is going to be some better ratios that will help with weight loss and muscle building than others. I totally agree that the time of day isn't much a factor with the exception of studies showing that eating a good breakfast does somehow work to help losing weight. With that said, total calories is definitely most important but the type of nutrients will help you burn energy and fuel you muscles for a more efficient workout. Good luck!
  • NittyGrittyBritty
    NittyGrittyBritty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Avoid simple carbs! Especially anything containing high-fructose corn syrup (virtually impossible as its in everything but try your best!) and complex carbs really do make you feel full longer. Gunnerpalm is right on about the ratios and timing as well, but if you want to follow your doctors advice then try something like lentil tacos on whole wheat tortillas for lunch! When i eat these I am full for the rest of the day plus it forms a complete protein source!
  • Serchr21
    Serchr21 Posts: 3
    Options
    YES! Avoid simple carbs. Compose diet of sugar free as much as possible. Take in carbs from oats and grains.