Disappointed!! HRM vs Machine Calories

Options
Wow, I started using my HR Monitor today while I was on the treadmill. 30 minutes, level 15, 3.0 mph ..... my heart rate monitor showed I burned 315 calories...... the machine said I burned 520!! thats over 200 calories difference!!! I always assumed there could be a difference in the amount of calories, but I was a bit shocked that it was this much. I vow to never work out again without my HR monitor. I have seriously just been schooled here!!

Since I started using MFP in January, I have always tried leaving a bit of a "buffer" when I log my meals to offset the fact that the calories listed in the database could be off. I have steadily been losing about a pound a week, which I am more than fine with, but there were weeks where I thought I should have lost 2, considering how much surplus calories I would end up with at the end of the week.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Replies

• DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    ALL the time! In my cycle classes, the bike always says I've burned over 500 cal when in reality it's b/t 350-410. One day, it said I had a burn of over 900!!!! So yeah, those machines can be waaaaaay off. They're not calibrated to YOU, just to some arbitrary avg. joe. Don't I wish I'd really burn that many cal. in a workout!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Wow, I started using my HR Monitor today while I was on the treadmill. 30 minutes, level 15, 3.0 mph ..... my heart rate monitor showed I burned 315 calories...... the machine said I burned 520!! thats over 200 calories difference!!! I always assumed there could be a difference in the amount of calories, but I was a bit shocked that it was this much. I vow to never work out again without my HR monitor. I have seriously just been schooled here!!

Since I started using MFP in January, I have always tried leaving a bit of a "buffer" when I log my meals to offset the fact that the calories listed in the database could be off. I have steadily been losing about a pound a week, which I am more than fine with, but there were weeks where I thought I should have lost 2, considering how much surplus calories I would end up with at the end of the week.

just curious, does mfp seem any more accurate than the machine? I usually ignore the machine and just log it on here. I'm scared for the answer!
  • tpycha126
    tpycha126 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Oh I know what you mean. I had a wrist HRM and went and purchased one with a chest strap. Big big difference. Now I understand why I wasn't losing like I thought I was. My calorie burn was was under. Oh well now I know and hopefully see some results now that I have a more accurate idea of what I am burning.
  • changling82
    changling82 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was the same way before I bought mine. I had days where it was saying i was burning 1500+ calories and in reality I was only burning between 700 and 900. I have found some of the readings on the gym equipment to be right on though. The treadmill is usually within 50 calories of what my HRM says.

I also vow to never work out without my HRM again! I've gone without it before and felt completely lost! here's to being obsessive :drinker:
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I would think (if you set up your HRM) that it would be more accurate that the 'generic' setup on any gym machine.

I don't know anything about it but you could find a site on the web (maybe a few) and plug in your numbers and see what you get off your HRM.

Like here:

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

On top of that the HRM is calculating total caloric burn, which if entered into MFP would be double counting the calories you would have burned had you not worked out (maintenance calories should be deducted from the HRM readout) So that 315 should be more like 270 assuming you burn 1.5 cal/min during the day. maintenance calories/24/60.

Don't be disappointed this just means you are in much better shape (if you enter weight and age) than the machine thinks you are, this is a good thing.
  • daphne_gets_fit
    daphne_gets_fit Posts: 73 Member
    Options

On top of that the HRM is calculating total caloric burn, which if entered into MFP would be double counting the calories you would have burned had you not worked out (maintenance calories should be deducted from the HRM readout) So that 315 should be more like 270 assuming you burn 1.5 cal/min during the day. maintenance calories/24/60.

Don't be disappointed this just means you are in much better shape (if you enter weight and age) than the machine thinks you are, this is a good thing.

Wouldn't it only count maintainace calories if you wore it all day, not just while working out? I'm a bit confused.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    YES! Last week I got a HRM and I LOVE IT! For the most part I burn more than what the machine says but it doesn't take into account all of the factors that a HRM does. Plus, I hate having to hold onto the metal things on the machine that get your heart rate.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options

WAIT!! If I work out (Cardio) for 30 minutes and I come up with 400 calories burned I am supposed to subract 1.5 * 30 = 45 calories for a 'real' extra calorie burn of 355 calories?
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

Do you have anything to support this theory? You would think that HRM makers would take that into consideration when programing the algorithm.

Another thing to consider, the BMR you speak of equates to approx. 35-50 cals/30 mins for the average person. The margin of error on the HRM is probably more than that. Therefore, I wouldn't bother "deducting" that BMR figure.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is that 1 minute burns about 10 calories if you are pushing yourself to the point of sweating.... that is what I have found is most accurate..
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I will be getting a HRM 2 pounds from now...a goal. But I always log whatever is lower, MFP or the machine.
  • erickirb
    Options

WAIT!! If I work out (Cardio) for 30 minutes and I come up with 400 calories burned I am supposed to subract 1.5 * 30 = 45 calories for a 'real' extra calorie burn of 355 calories?

You would have burned 355 total, but some of those you would have burned had you not worked out. so to get calories burned from exercise alone (which is what should be added to MFP) yes you would have to back out maintenance calories from the total. This is usually 1.2 to 1.8 cals/minute depending on your stats (age, weight, gender)
  • erickirb
    Options

Do you have anything to support this theory? You would think that HRM makers would take that into consideration when programing the algorithm.

Another thing to consider, the BMR you speak of equates to approx. 35-50 cals/30 mins for the average person. The margin of error on the HRM is probably more than that. Therefore, I wouldn't bother "deducting" that BMR figure.

Don't deduct BMR, deduct maintenance. Iif you did not workout you would not be in a coma, but rather doing something else, sitting, standing, whatever. HRMs do have a margin of error but I don't think they are off by more than 1 cal/min.

HRM makers wouldn't take that away because they are showing you what you burned during your workout, but if you enter into something like MFP you should back them out. HRM makers don't know you are using a program like MFP so why would they back those out.
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    Now that I think of it, I know your theory isn't accurate. Why? Because if wear the HRM then sit on the couch all day, then sleep 8 hours, it'll show an outragous cal burn...way more than what your real maintenance calories are. The HRM are designed to calc cals burnt when the HR is elevated.
  • LizzyTish327
    LizzyTish327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would love to get a HRM but when reading the reviews there weren't any that seemed that great....can you all suggest good HRMs?!

Thanks!!
  • erickirb
    Options

Wouldn't it only count maintainace calories if you wore it all day, not just while working out? I'm a bit confused.

MFP counts maintenance calories for you, the watch counts total caloric burn (which maintenance would be a part of)
  • FrenchMob
    Options

Don't deduct BMR, deduct maintenance. Iif you did not workout you would not be in a coma, but rather doing something else, sitting, standing, whatever. HRMs do have a margin of error but I don't think they are off by more than 1 cal/min.

HRM makers wouldn't take that away because they are showing you what you burned during your workout, but if you enter into something like MFP you should back them out. HRM makers don't know you are using a program like MFP so why would they back those out.

Go read up about it on this site: http://www.braydenwm.com/cal_vs_hr_ref_paper.pdf
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    ok...so you are saying that the activity/exercise we log (and we use MFP calculator) INCLUDES what calories we would be burning if we just sat on the couch? NOT additional calories?

this is confusing.....

:huh:
  • erickirb
    Options
    Now that I think of it, I know your theory isn't accurate. Why? Because if wear the HRM then sit on the couch all day, then sleep 8 hours, it'll show an outragous cal burn...way more than what your real maintenance calories are. The HRM are designed to calc cals burnt when the HR is elevated.

Yes, that is so it only works when HR is elevated, but it is a calculation in-bedded in the watch that spits out total caloric burn, not extra calories burned from working out. This is only really an issue with longer lower intensity workouts and only if you eat your exercise calories, this way you won't overeat and double count a portion of the calories.