Calorie Differences

Options
Has anyone else noticed that this site gives you a much higher calorie amount than a machine does..I was on the elliptical today and it said i burned 449 in42 minutes. Then i typed it here and it said i burned 750 something.Anyone know why?

Replies

• melkeps
    melkeps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    does the machine account for your weight?
  • abaumbach
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and log in my own calories according to my display on my watch.
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Huh really? Because MFP exercise calories are always lower than what the machine tells me. I regularly use the elliptical, arc trainer (cybex), and adaptive motion trainer (precor) from the database. The rest include running, walking, biking, ballroom dancing which I have no way of measuring so I use the MFP numbers. This makes me want to get a monitor to get better numbers, but alas being a grad student means I'm poor poor and poor. However, the numbers seem to be working ok for me and I am losing at roughly the projected rate.
  • MzStephanieO
    Options
    I did notice, I also entered my weight on the last session and it still gave me the same calories burned. I would love to know the difference and why?
  • fooligan
    fooligan Posts: 14
    Options
    I just used the elliptical exercise calculator on MFP. At my weight of 179.5, I would burn 489 calories in 40 minutes. If I was 250 I would burn 680...I think you need to enter your weight in the machine, for it to be accurate. I always enter my weight on the treadmill and stationary bike and MFP is pretty accurate...I hope this helps... And Good Luck!
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The machine is going to go based on your weight. The bigger you are the more calories you should burn. The site cant calculate your weight. It is probably what someone else has entered from their workouts. Just like the Wii Fit when I do something it will say I burned more calories than my son when he does the same workout. My question is why there is a lot of food items that the numbers are off on? I entered something I ate last night and it was like 30 calories more and double the sodium than what said on the pouch I was looking at in my hand. It probably all comes down to something someone else has put in. To be on the safe side I would enter what your machine says on workouts and I ALWAYS verify what the food is if possible before I submit it.
  • fooligan
    fooligan Posts: 14
    Options
    The site uses the weight to calculate the calories... mos def...I just changed my weight from 180 to 250 and the calories burned changed for the same amount of time.