Are these Fruits really going to kill me??

Options
I've replaced a lot of my old snacks (granola, crackers, chips, etc.) with fruits (strawberries, apples, pineapple, banana, etc.). Now I'm being told that the fruits are no good because of "the high sugar, even though it's natural sugar..."
Really, has anyone ever gotten fat from fruit!?!
I was suggested to eat stuff from the Paleo diet list. Lots of nuts, meats, etc. Well those are all super high in calories!!
Any one think my fruits are going to make or break me??

Replies

• Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    As long as your counting the calories, fruits are certainly a healthy calorie. I personally need more like 8 fruits and vegies, I just feel so much better with them rather than 5. I say stick with what your doing.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    how many servings of fruits are we talking about. In general, fruits are not a bad thing, but they are a little high in sugar, so I mean, if you're talking about 6 or 7 servings or more, that might start to be an issue (I stress MIGHT), but if you're talking about 3 or 4, then no, that shouldn't be a problem.
  • stebabe15
    stebabe15 Posts: 28
    Options
    how many servings of fruits are we talking about. In general, fruits are not a bad thing, but they are a little high in sugar, so I mean, if you're talking about 6 or 7 servings or more, that might start to be an issue (I stress MIGHT), but if you're talking about 3 or 4, then no, that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have strawberries in the morning with yogurt. 1.5 cups. Then for a snack I'll do a cup of pineapple, or an apple, or banana or something. Other than that, I'm not eating much more fruits during the day. But my team mate for the weight loss challenge I'm in says it's too high in sugar...
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Unless your diabetic, and as long as your reasonable as SHBoss pointed out, you will be fine. You could consider adding some lower sugar fruits - like berries to the mix also. If you are diabetic, you would need to limit the fruit more.
  • Trudysparkles
    Options
    You should definitely eat more vegetables than fruit. It is high in sugar and I have heard of people gaining weight from going overboard on fruit. Just keep counting the calories and use your best judgement.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I'll have strawberries in the morning with yogurt. 1.5 cups. Then for a snack I'll do a cup of pineapple, or an apple, or banana or something. Other than that, I'm not eating much more fruits during the day. But my team mate for the weight loss challenge I'm in says it's too high in sugar...

that's fine, especially since you're spreading it out during the day. the sugar in fruit is NOT the same as added sucrose, it travels different metabolic pathways, doesn't spike blood sugar like table sugar (sucrose) and when it comes from fruit, it's locked up in the fibrous material of the fruit which means it's not delivered until the fruit is digested (I.E. slowly over time as opposed to table sugar which is basically digested within a couple of minutes after eaten).
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    My dietician specifically told me that nobody should be eating more than 5 portions of fruit a day because of the sugar content playing havoc with your blood sugars.

as long as ur not going too far over the 5 though i wouldn't worry
  • ahbach2005
    ahbach2005 Posts: 119
    Options
    Try to spread them through the day. It is good to try and keep your blood glucose levels "even". I find it hard to believe that fruit could be bad for you unless your eating nothing but grapefruit for long periods of time
  • McDougal416
    McDougal416 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Just see how your body reacts to it....if you start gaining weight because of all the fruit your eating..then cut back a bit..but it seems like fruits speeds up my metabolism..I'm always hungry after I eat some....Just see what your body does..and make sure your adding the cal's to mfp.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I've only heard it's an issue if you are watching your blood sugar level. They are natural sugars and I've had substantial weight loss and eat fruit every day. Strive for a balanced diet, imo, but don't worry about consuming fruit every day.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I eat typically 2-3 servings of fruit daily. Once with breakfast- 10 oz. mixed strawberries and blueberries and whole grapefruit for my morning snack. Not only have I not gained weight, but I've been following this routine for the past 11 months and it's helped me not only drop almost 30 pounds in that time, it's also been extremely beneficial in my effort over the past 3 months to add more muscle mass.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that in a fat loss diet, fruits (simple carbohydrates) are best eaten in the morning and before/after intense workouts. I think that more complex sources of carbohydrates (starches and fibers) are more appropriate for most of the day.
  • meghantkav
    meghantkav Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always think... when was the last time someone had a weight problem b/c they ate too many fruits or vegetables? Typically, females need about 2-3 servings of fruit per day. Yes they have sugar - but with that sugar comes vitamins, minerals, fiber... and the list goes on. Look at the ingredients in granola bars.. crackers.. and other processed foods. Those foods don't occur naturally in nature - they're man made. There's only one ingredient in an apple.. The more whole foods you can focus on, the better! Fruits IMPROVE health... ask yourself if the processed snacks do anything for your health - the answer is usually NO! Make your foods work for you!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    My dietician specifically told me that nobody should be eating more than 5 portions of fruit a day because of the sugar content playing havoc with your blood sugars.

as long as ur not going too far over the 5 though i wouldn't worry

I usually have two fruits in the morning with breakfast, a banana and a cutie. Often I feel what seems like I ate a bunch of sugar, and had been really confused by it, trying to figure what it could mean. So guess it would have to be the fruit I never thought about that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as you're eating reasonable amounts of whole fruit, not juice, I can't imagine it's going to cause you to gain weight or cause any other sugar-related problems. It sounds to me like your fruit intake is more than reasonable.
  • stebabe15
    stebabe15 Posts: 28
    Options
    Well thanks everyone!!